anyone ever work for Victory recs? how was it??

can you really get fired from an unpaid position?

Abby actually was a Victory employee, she was just in charge of running the street team (among other duties). She was awesome, and definitely did not deserve the crap that she got from that whole situation.

Also, my fiancee used to work at Victory, and she will confirm everything said in this thread as accurate (and there's plenty more where that came from, too).

yeah, all the stories I've heard over the years are staggering, I've forgotten tons because when you live with someone that works there you hears hit all the time to the point where it's absurd and you just forget it.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.matadorrecords.com/matablog/2006/08/07/tony-victory-sued-by-ingrates/

The infamous "The Horror" by Ramsey Dean about Victory. Only has part 1 but part 2 should be available other places. Is harder to find though as Tony Brummel threatened sites that had it up.

EDIT: Changed link for one that has both. Go to the blog comments and someone has copy+pasted it in there.

Knowing many past and a few current employees of Victory, it's a joke. Tony is fucking crazy.

You cannot listen to anything but VR bands at work

competition label apparel is strongly frowned upon in the office.

there will be spyware programs installed on your computer tracing every keystroke you make, which Tony reviews.

You will get to witness Tony threaten to kill people over the phone, for things like wanting royalty statements or the "life or death scenario" of the internet going down.

also my former roommate who worked there for 4 years(an eternity in Victory Records land...with few exceptions) was fired for "lack of enthusiasm."

This can't be real. Or maybe it could be. Sounds just crazy enough to be reality.

i, too, know people and have heard their stories about their experiences with him. the stuff posted here about tony sound very much in line with what i've heard over the years.

http://www.matadorrecords.com/matablog/2006/08/07/tony-victory-sued-by-ingrates/

The infamous "The Horror" by Ramsey Dean about Victory. Only has part 1 but part 2 should be available other places. Is harder to find though as Tony Brummel threatened sites that had it up.

EDIT: Changed link for one that has both. Go to the blog comments and someone has copy+pasted it in there.

Kevin Says:

July 30th, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Victory Rules Take That Pic Off Fuck u Guys Hawthorne Heights May Rule But Not As Much As All Of The Bands On Victory Put Together You Cant Mess With Victory Dude.

Shit, remember when victory was good in the 90s? I think the most recent album I have from their label is Blood for Bloods Revenge on Society.

Always thought that Tony sounded like a douche. This has just proven it as fact to me. The article was insane. But hey, real men do hookers right?

Knowing many past and a few current employees of Victory, it's a joke. Tony is fucking crazy.

there will be spyware programs installed on your computer tracing every keystroke you make, which Tony reviews.

You will get to witness Tony threaten to kill people over the phone, for things like wanting royalty statements or the "life or death scenario" of the internet going down.

also my former roommate who worked there for 4 years(an eternity in Victory Records land...with few exceptions) was fired for "lack of enthusiasm."

My friends wife worked there for two years and she said the exact same thing.

Can you imagine listening to Victory Records music for 8 hours a day 5 days a week? I'd hate that more than Christmas music.

My friends wife worked there for two years and she said the exact same thing.

Can you imagine listening to Victory Records music for 8 hours a day 5 days a week? I'd hate that more than Christmas music.

so is I Hate Punk Rock hiring?

I worked there, it is a fucking nightmare and everything in this post is true, and then some. The part about Double J is true, that kid is a lifer with low career self-esteem and aspirations. He also has a high tolerance for abuse and bullshit. Oh, and completely over-inflated sense of accomplishment and "coolness" for working at the label. He definitely has been drinking the punch.

Tony is a fucking psycho.

Grey Area is the best band that's ever been on Victory...just want to put that out there.

Close - probably #2 on my list.

For me, Victory will always retain a touch of respect for releasing Snapcase's "Lookinglasself".

I need to dig out the story about the guys from Fury of Five confronting Tony - there is a good ending if I recall it correctly.

Grey Area is the best band that's ever been on Victory...just want to put that out there.

Close - probably #2 on my list.

For me, Victory will always retain a touch of respect for releasing Snapcase's "Lookinglasself".

I need to dig out the story about the guys from Fury of Five confronting Tony - there is a good ending if I recall it correctly.

i wish LGS had the recording quality of progression through unlearning...or at least steps

The Victory Warzone LPs were always...kinda ok. The pre-Victory output destroys it though. I just don't see how we leave off Snapcase. Your Top-4 are a solid selection.

I'd give honorable mentions to Deadguy and Bloodlet

I was waffling on #5...snapcase has pissed me off in recent years and kind of soured me on the band a bit.

agreed about Warzone though...no irony at all, I enjoy the wanky metal album too