anyone ever work for Victory recs? how was it??

Action Heights, the record label that signed bands based on the number of purevolume play counts for their songs....

I highly doubt that, seeing as how they put out the Faultlines record and virtually no one (besides me) liked that band.

that was how they pitched the label to us to get Red Line Distribution to carry the label...ha....they probably sold more cds than I ever did, so who's laughing now...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Earth Crisis

2. Strife

3. All Out War

4. Buried Alive

5. Grade (Under The Radar)

only acceptable if you also put (firestorm) next to earth crisis

I am an Earth Crisis nerd so I enjoy all things Earth Crisis. Yes... Even some Slither tracks.

and let's be honest about Grade, all you need is Separate the Magnets, similarly with Strife it was basically the same damn song over and over again after the My Fire Burns on 7"

Separate the Magnets is clearly their best record but since we are talking about Victory Under The Radar takes the cake.

Strife - My Fire Burns On and In This Defiance are all you really need anyway.

And I don't know how I forget them but the almighty Integrity deserves to be in my top 5. Same with Hatebreed.

Other honorable mentions - Run Devil Run, Bloodlet, Deadguy, RAID, Killing Time, Insight, Grey Area, NIV.

I highly doubt that, seeing as how they put out the Faultlines record and virtually no one (besides me) liked that band.

that was how they pitched the label to us to get Red Line Distribution to carry the label...ha....they probably sold more cds than I ever did, so who's laughing now...

Nah, not really. The Phoenix Rising record sold a little bit (I actually really liked that album. Reminded me a bit of Rescue but less techy) but NONE of their releases (all 4 of them) really sold. Maybe the bands sold them well at shows or whatever (supposedly they pressed an early version of the Phoenix Rising album specifically for a show at the Metro) but they didn't sell for shit to stores/distributors. Besides that one record all they had was Faultlines (nobody cared), Threefold (really, nobody cared) and an awful-looking pixelated digipak EP that wasn't very good from Phoenix Rising.

I THINK how they made money was by making the bands sign merch deals with them too. And Phoenix Rising probably cleaned up in the burbs or whatever on that shit.

True fact: I have never in my life purchased a single record on Victory. I had promo copies of that first Spitalfield record they did (meh), the first Silverstein record they did (which they gave me) and the first Forecast album they did (also either given to me or a promo). Don't care for literally anything that label has ever done.

Justin - do you trust people who like "punk" who never liked hardcore?;)

I wouldn't allow anyone at Deathwish to carry a Century Media backpack either,

Why?

I second this question. What, exactly, is the difference? It's not like you're Coke and they're Pepsi. They're not a direct competitor. There should be a community amongst "independent" labels (not a knock on either label, but I'm sure both use major label distribution methods). Even if you hate whoever runs Century Media's guts, or their bands or whatever else, it's still a goofy thing to say. Apples and oranges. It's not like someone who buys a Shadows Fall record won't also buy a Converge record. It's not like your goal is a monopoly on heavy music, as that's just not possible.

Your question doesn't even make sense.

The term "hardcore" is short for "hardcore punk". If you say you like "hardcore" then you're a de facto fan of punk. If you say you like punk, you don't have a to be a fan of hardcore punk, or pop punk, or post punk, or any other subset of punk. The same way saying you like hardcore doesn't mean you have like to post hardcore.

Guest soulcrusher

I haven't listened to many of the Victory bands, but I did dig the Ill Nino/Chino cover of FNM's Zombie Eaters.

Also, Dr. Acula? Named after JD's made up character on Scrubs?

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':701c4kv7]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':701c4kv7]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

my favorite Tony Brummel related news is the conversations he had via e-mail with Steve Jobs:

http://www.punknews.org/article/16951

This man is a child. On what does he base his belief that Victory is the #1 Independent Record Label? Getting three albums into the Billboard 200? Good for him and all, but there are independent labels that are far more popular than Victory.

Your question doesn't even make sense.

The term "hardcore" is short for "hardcore punk". If you say you like "hardcore" then you're a de facto fan of punk. If you say you like punk, you don't have a to be a fan of hardcore punk, or pop punk, or post punk, or any other subset of punk. The same way saying you like hardcore doesn't mean you have like to post hardcore.

here's the thing, most people attribute the genre "hardcore" to people like "throwdown" who do it for their friends and family since they're forever straight fucking edge, so i believe that's where he was going with that. it may be a hardcore subset in the "tough guy" variety where if your spin kick is way sweeter than the next assholes then you dont wanna be fucked with and your girlfriend will probably be found on isanyoneup.com. i personally go in with a good wheelbarrow or floor hump to really show off my moves.

i do agree that if you listen to true hardcore, as you're saying, then you in some way like punk whether its minor threat, misfits, afi (please, before sts), touche amore or whatever other bands you wanna list be it new or old.

all this being said other than thursday, tbs and btbam i've never had a reason to want to support victory and that link was a very interesting read.

I've never really looked much into Victory Recs bands because my introduction to VR were their shitty commercials bumping Hawthorne Heights/Aiden/Silverstein.

you got a late start, bro.

their early stuff was better, then tony was like "wait, this shit over here is sellin' like crazy, lets sign bands that sound like that", then everything turned to fuck.

kinda like when roadrunner signed nickelback.

except not really anything like that at all.

I've never really looked much into Victory Recs bands because my introduction to VR were their shitty commercials bumping Hawthorne Heights/Aiden/Silverstein.

you got a late start, bro.

their early stuff was better, then tony was like "wait, this shit over here is sellin' like crazy, lets sign bands that sound like that", then everything turned to fuck.

kinda like when roadrunner signed nickelback.

except not really anything like that at all.

I know I did, I'm only 18 years old.

Action Heights, the record label that signed bands based on the number of purevolume play counts for their songs....

I liked a couple songs from the faultlines. I don't think there was ever more than 100 people at a show they played though.

Nah, not really. The Phoenix Rising record sold a little bit (I actually really liked that album. Reminded me a bit of Rescue but less techy) but NONE of their releases (all 4 of them) really sold. Maybe the bands sold them well at shows or whatever (supposedly they pressed an early version of the Phoenix Rising album specifically for a show at the Metro) but they didn't sell for shit to stores/distributors. Besides that one record all they had was Faultlines (nobody cared), Threefold (really, nobody cared) and an awful-looking pixelated digipak EP that wasn't very good from Phoenix Rising.

I THINK how they made money was by making the bands sign merch deals with them too. And Phoenix Rising probably cleaned up in the burbs or whatever on that shit.

True fact: I have never in my life purchased a single record on Victory. I had promo copies of that first Spitalfield record they did (meh), the first Silverstein record they did (which they gave me) and the first Forecast album they did (also either given to me or a promo). Don't care for literally anything that label has ever done.

HOLY SHIT! I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD EVER FIND ANYONE WITH LOVE FOR PHOENIX RISING! awesome record and awesome people!

• 2 weeks later...

of course this is me just bitching but god damn does adtr suck ass. jesus christ they are they epitome of what sucks about music today perpetual recycled trash. i mean for fucks sake originality as a whole is gone (let alone they lack a single spark of it) but it seems that's the only way a band makes it anymore is too cash in late on the trend until masses catch on.