How To Invest In Vinyl & Retire Rich

jhulud

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole record collecting frenzy reminds me of the comic book collecting frenzy of the early 90's where every comic had a foil or multiple covers. All those comics are now sitting in 25 cent bins and a lot of these variant colored records will be some day.

I was in the midst of that nonsense...it got exhausting and frustrating...esp. when Marvel and DC started milking it. It got me out of reading and collecting comic books.

This whole record collecting frenzy reminds me of the comic book collecting frenzy of the early 90's where every comic had a foil or multiple covers. All those comics are now sitting in 25 cent bins and a lot of these variant colored records will be some day.

I was in the midst of that nonsense...it got exhausting and frustrating...esp. when Marvel and DC started milking it. It got me out of reading and collecting comic books.

Yeah. I worked at a comic book shop in high school at that time. When I quit buying comics all that money went to buying records and drugs.

Instead of buying comics, I should have bought a car!

Yeah. I worked at a comic book shop in high school at that time. When I quit buying comics all that money went to buying records and drugs.

Instead of buying comics, I should have bought a car!

Ill be happy if it goes that way. Means me scoring some records on the cheap in another 10 years.

Also, Nicole, again with a great point!

I was only a kid when all of this was going down and for a number of years I held onto my copy of Batman 500 with the foil cover because I kept hearing talk it'd be worth something. By the time I was in my early 20's and got back into comics, I found out that it wasn't worth a couple of quarters. The variant covers game is one reason why I hate mainstream comics to a certain extent nowadays as well.

Who else thought their Turok +1 with the special cover was going to be worth a fortune?

For all the shitty stunts they pulled, Valiant put out some amazing titles. I'd love a complete run of Harbinger, Shadowman or Solar.

Agreed! It was during that alternate foil hologram die-cut covers bullshit era that Marvel and DC were pulling, that publishers like Valiant, Image, Dark Horse, and a few other "indie" ones were thriving. Better stories and art.

At least as I recall it.

Are any comics from the past 15 years really worth anything now?

There are a few for sure but certainly not the more garden variety #1's that everyone seems to think are the prize catchers. Surprisingly there are a lot of re-prints and trade paperbacks that are fetching far more money than given single issues.

Re: Buying vinyl to retire - I'd suggest going in on a couple of Butcher covers and maybe those could fund a trip to Tokyo or something.

I have an embossed foil stamped Gambit mini-series and a Wolverine cross-over series with holographic covers that will attest to this.