Wedding Rings

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too worried about price (I say that now...) but I definitely want to get the ring/band now. Shes just indecisive and I'm just too critical I think. They just all look the same to me.

I have a few things I have to worry about with hers. She works in a hospital so with the changing of gloves so much I'd rather not get a giant rock that sticks out super far and she can only do white gold

I'm not too worried about price (I say that now...) but I definitely want to get the ring/band now. Shes just indecisive and I'm just too critical I think. They just all look the same to me.

I have a few things I have to worry about with hers. She works in a hospital so with the changing of gloves so much I'd rather not get a giant rock that sticks out super far and she can only do white gold

definately stick with a low set on the diamond or just do a band.

my husband got the center stone at a local jeweler so it saved some $ and he was able to get me a pretty nice one... we got the band, channel setting, white gold at a different local jeweler in the chichi mall. normally, i wouldn't have even dreamed of buying a wedding set there, but i walked by it in the window one day and had to have it.

i used to work in an OR so i wore gloves all the time, too. i'd just wear the rings on my necklace during surgery and then wear them on my hand during clinic hours. the stone sticks out fairly high above the channel set accent stones, but it wasn't hard to get the gloves on over them. i think what i worried more about was ripping the gloves off in between cases and the rings coming off in them and getting tossed without my realizing it. it happened with one of the doctors i worked with, but lucky for him, he realized/remembered and came back for it shortly after surgery was over.

but anyway, my best recommendation is to buy it from a well established local jeweler. the places we bought from have been there for at least 20 yrs. you can probably haggle, they have a more unique selection or can design what you have in mind and they probably carry better quality for the price you are paying in comparison to a chain.

My wife likes the older style. Bought her an estate ring (worth about $6000) for $2k. It's platinum, it's hand engraved and has a .89k mine cut diamond in it. She used to work in jewelry, so she was pretty perticular it what she wanted.

We got a band custom made to fit with the style of her engagement ring. It was almost (if not more) than the engagement ring.

I've got a platinum band, with a bit of engraving on it. nothing fancy, but i like the look of platinum.

never ever buy jewelry at a place you've seen an advertisement for. the price of the jewelry is significantly inflated to pay for those ads and the typically large showrooms as well. Look into small, local jewelers like some others have suggested. Especially the kind that are appointment only. They will take care of you much better than a "walk-in" place would.

i just have a platinum band, i guess its a little harder than gold, which is good because its already horribly scratched and nicked after 8 years, i probably would have destroyed a softer metal by now

My wife told me that platinum is better than gold, because when they buff the scratches out, the metal just moves back into place, whereas with gold, they actyally end up buffing some of the metal away each time it's polished, making the ring thinner each time.

Plus, I think the industrial look of platinum, once you've been wearing it for awhile, looks cool

never ever buy jewelry at a place you've seen an advertisement for. the price of the jewelry is significantly inflated to pay for those ads and the typically large showrooms as well. Look into small, local jewelers like some others have suggested. Especially the kind that are appointment only. They will take care of you much better than a "walk-in" place would.

This. Before he died, my grandpa sold diamonds from his dining room table. Whenever I sent friends to him, they were amazed at how much lower the prices were for comparable and better quality stuff than what they were showed at Zales/Jared/etc.

i'm looking to get a wooden ring for my wedding in November. Haven't really looked around yet, but i think it will look pretty rad if i can find one. Anyone else have one/looked into it?

This. Before he died, my grandpa sold diamonds from his dining room table. Whenever I sent friends to him, they were amazed at how much lower the prices were for comparable and better quality stuff than what they were showed at Zales/Jared/etc.

Yea, My GFs Dad is a Diamond Importer.....hopefully he breaks me a deal when I ask my GF to marry me lol

I initially thought you were saying that your grandpa removed diamonds embedded within his table to sell somewhere, and I was like, damn, that's some official baller status.

I initially thought you were saying that your grandpa removed diamonds embedded within his table to sell somewhere, and I was like, damn, that's some official baller status.

That would've been pretty awesome.

Another protip, heart-shaped diamonds are cheaper than other cuts, and look bigger than they are. My lady has a kind of a modern claddagh-ish design, 3/4 carat and it looks more like a full carat.