Sending money as 'gift' neg karma user.

Hey guys and gals. I am new to these boards, obviously. I am new to record collecting in general, I have be collecting for about six months and have got about one hundred so far.

Basically I am asking for you guys to hold my hand a little. I am unsure how far my trust should go and how skeptical I should be.

I have made my first purchase of a 7" split from a user with negative karma. I really didn't find this odd as many people have negative karma and seem to be genuinely nice and trustworthy people, as they are making many sales. I am not worried yet that I have been ripped off, I live in Australia and it will take quite some time for the vinyl to arrive. I am basically just asking to become a bit more informed and educated about dealing with users here. I don't really want to mention the users name as I don't want them to think I do not trust them, of course the thread is there for all to see.

What I am asking is, how much do I take karma into account? Do I not deal with users who have severely negative karma? I realize now I should not have sent it as a gift, if someone asks for it to be paid this way, should I become worried they are a scammer?

Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

but yeah..sending as a gift is very risky. i would search first in the terrible traders post and then a general search within the whole board for any threads about the person.

this. there are quite a few users on this board i have dealt with several times and have had no problem sending payment as a gift. then again, ive been ripped off on this board even sending money not as a gift, so you never know.

As I thought about the karma, thanks. Yes I will search I the terrible traders thread, see what I can find. It was eighteen dollars, I am not too fussed if I don't relieve the record, will be a lesson anyways.

Haha I know I have become way to addicted, I honestly don't know why. Funnily enough my work is hiring. I am a telemarketer and receive ridiculous commissions plus a twenty dollar an hour retainer. I recently gave up smoking weed after six years, I now have more money than I know how to spend. So vinyl collecting is my new bud and my turntable is my new bong haha.

Only send money as a gift if you're dealing with someone you've dealt with many times and even then you to be weary. I say anyone asking to have money sent as a gift on a first transaction with a particular person is an asshole. If you can't pay the fee, don't sell the fucking thing.

The terrible traders thread is a much better guide to shiftlessness than karma ratings.

I've only sent a gift to one or two people (ironically, this guy quoted is one of them, of which he lives 80 miles away and I've met in person).

Just do things through Paypal and don't be afraid to ask people for someone to vouch for them.

(though I have my doubts about the authenticity of the original post..)

I have negative 68, it will probably be 70 to 80 once some people see that I have posted again.

However, if you click the link in my signature to the eBay store I run and look at my 100% positive feedback, you will see that people who buy records from me get their records promptly and extremely well packaged (I go the extra mile).

There is no relationship between karma and how good a seller is on this board.

(though I have my doubts about the authenticity of the original post..)

I have negative 68, it will probably be 70 to 80 once some people see that I have posted again.

However, if you click the link in my signature to the eBay store I run and look at my 100% positive feedback, you will see that people who buy records from me get their records promptly and extremely well packaged (I go the extra mile).

There is no relationship between karma and how good a seller is on this board.

Ok I'm getting the picture now, thanks.

What do you mean about the authenticity of my post? Like if I have actually made a purchase or not? Just curious.

I have done a search and I am fairly confident he is a good dude. Has made a few trades and people seem to know who he is.

higher post count is more indicative of trustworthiness than karma.

general rule of thumb is if someone wants you to send money as a gift, offer an extra $1 to cover the paypal feel and send it as a purchase. it's not worth it to risk unless you've dealt with the seller before or they have an excellent reputation for selling on the board. like what nothingnatural said, most people won't expect you to pay as a gift unless they've bought / sold / traded with you before.

now go spend all your money.

Nice to see another Aussie on here! :) As others have said, karma means nothing. And don't gift to people unless you know them well. If they whine about paypal fees just offer to pay them yourself (it's a small amount).

Oh and make a tradelist dude.

Glad to be another Aussie here! I will not gift people unless I am certain they are legit. But as I said, I am fairly confident he will come through its the goods.

I will make a trade list, may take me a while lol. Should of started it earlier.

Also, out of curiosity. How long does it usually take you to receive vinyl from the states?