PO: Sum 41 - All Killer, No Filler

I guess integrity goes out the window when faced with the possibility of large chunks of cash. Nice to see someone else taking the MTS route.

Flood is good people, and he won't take money until the vinyl is nearly ready, so that automatically makes the MTS comparison inaccurate.

I was more referring to licensing old records because they will sell well instead of actually signing struggling bands and giving them a platform.

I was more referring to licensing old records because they will sell well instead of actually signing struggling bands and giving them a platform.

True, but Flood has released a ton of other stuff as well...it's time for him to actually make some money. :P

Seriously though, if this was an upstart label I would be right there with you.

Flood is good people, and he won't take money until the vinyl is nearly ready, so that automatically makes the MTS comparison inaccurate.

Maybe you should start your own label if you have such good ideas.

yep can't forget all the cash grab ska records ive been putting out / will continue to be putting out :)

That just goes to further prove this is a straight cash grab. You run a ska label and are putting out a pop40 album. Yes, it will sell some, but it is being done for the quick cash to fund other releases. There is nothing wrong with that and I think with the track record you have had with the bands you have supported and released you are more than in the right to be able to, but it is still a cash grab, dont get upet when someone calls you on that.

actually our label is quite diverse musically... we have a ton of ska bands yes, but we also did a record with andrew jackson jihad, and two with river city extension. and we have other diversified releases in mind for the future. We did this record because one of my staff thought it would be cool to do, so we went after it... do i hope to make money from it? of course.. i hope to make money off all of my releases i put a ton of work into them and risk a ton of money on it. I have no problem with someone saying "youre going to make money on this" because that is the overall goal to running a business right? what i dont appreciate is being compared to a label that has such a negative connotation on this board, simply because of one record we happen to release. Hell i just licensed a TMBG record.. i took preorders and told everyone it was going to ship mid april.. and guess what.. it starts shipping today.. expectatons beat, everyones happy.. and people get a record theyve wanted on vinyl for a long time.

I think the comparison to MTS was a low blow and not close to fact at all and assume (hope) most would see it as the same. Once you start licensing every cd you listened to in highschool and missing dates by 9 months, well then maybe it can be brought up, but seeing how you dont post pre-orders until you got most of the supplies in hand, I dont think you will be having that issue.

If there is demand then the LP should be in print. If Flood likes this album then he is a great person to do it. He isn't going to jack the price up $4-5 more than it should be like some other labels who do reissues and I bet it won't be anything like the pre-order disasters that are becoming so common.

I can't stand Sum 41 but I don't get all the hate on Asbestos.

I don't get why anyone has a problem with licensing older album. Personally I want some of them. I'm not saying labels shouldn't invest in new bands, but why not release some of your old favorites. If the original label isn't going to do it. Why not step in? People on this board make it seem like a bad thing to license an album. If fans want it and the band is cool with it then why not?

truly, i don't think he's getting that much hate. the label has put out a substantial amount of stuff and maybe a sum 41 album for nostalgia purposes or what not isn't all that bad. sure i may disagree on actually putting out a sum 41 album, because i don't care for that band's music in the least, but that's about it. i'm sure when he does do it, it'll be decently priced and on time. just like everything else he puts out.

i hope my mts/sh comment didnt sour you too much. i was being facetious.

truly, i don't think he's getting that much hate. the label has put out a substantial amount of stuff and maybe a sum 41 album for nostalgia purposes or what not isn't all that bad. sure i may disagree on actually putting out a sum 41 album, because i don't care for that band's music in the least, but that's about it. i'm sure when he does do it, it'll be decently priced and on time. just like everything else he puts out.

i hope my mts/sh comment didnt sour you too much. i was being facetious.

theres a huge difference in you justin or scott busting my balls, and someone who doesn't know me doing it ;)