Any Mad Men fans on here?

Before the new season started I read an interview with Weiner stating this season will focus on Don's relationship with Sally. Which leads me to agree with the above, the show has gotten a little stale. Don screwing up his personal life has gotten boring, For some odd reason I can see the show ending with Don alone living in the country somewhere and being happy alone. Maybe with his kids.

Although after reading the article posted above about the plane theory, that blew my mind. Lesson learned after all the True Detective theories though.

Before the new season started I read an interview with Weiner stating this season will focus on Don's relationship with Sally. Which leads me to agree with the above, the show has gotten a little stale. Don screwing up his personal life has gotten boring, For some odd reason I can see the show ending with Don alone living in the country somewhere and being happy alone. Maybe with his kids.

Although after reading the article posted above about the plane theory, that blew my mind. Lesson learned after all the True Detective theories though.

It's gonna end with him jumping out of his office window like the intro of the show ;)

It might be my obsession with the decor and style of the decade but the show has always felt like a novel, tedious at times but always fascinating. I really liked this weeks episode. I think part of the reason they are reintroducing old and trotted out themes is to bring a close to them to show change, or no change and bring the story to a hopefully satisfying conclusion. 

I hate all those new partners, and that shit Cooper said about Dawn totally changed my opinion about his character. It's good Sally and Don are talking at least, she's come to terms with the fact that he's a wreck and always will be.

I don't think you should judge a character in the sixties (maybe early 70s by now?) on modern morals. What he said really wasn't TOO out of line for the times -- especially from a character who had spent the majority of his life in a segregated, racist society.

Some day people are going to look back on us and say "WTF -- I can't believe they allowed that to happen" and we are going to look like assholes for allowing it.

I don't think you should judge a character in the sixties (maybe early 70s by now?) on modern morals. What he said really wasn't TOO out of line for the times -- especially from a character who had spent the majority of his life in a segregated, racist society.

Some day people are going to look back on us and say "WTF -- I can't believe they allowed that to happen" and we are going to look like assholes for allowing it.

That's true, guess it was just a shock given he never really behaved that way before.

I hate all those new partners, and that shit Cooper said about Dawn totally changed my opinion about his character.

You hit the nail on the head for me. For a show that takes place in a certain era with a certain demographic (and with all the criticism they received about a lack of diversity) the language has generally been tame compared to what was probably said more often in that era. I also took it as "our business can't quite have that face" which I know some companies still harbor even today. I think the show generally does it right, and has slowly integrated characters just like the snails pace a good part of the US moved at as well.

I also took it as "our business can't quite have that face" which I know some companies still harbor even today.

very true.  i used to work for a doctor who was super old-fashioned.  he's got to be 70 now.  he only hired good looking girls and either whites or asians.  the one time he hired a black girl, it was because they had no other, better options and they kept her in the back of the office and in the operating room the entire time.  they'd probably never hire a black girl for the front office.  the only 2 latina girls they've hired looked white.  and one time, i walked by the administrator's inbox and on someone's resume, it was written "pear-shaped and frumpy".  DAMN.

also, my father-in-law is 75.  he, like the doctor i worked for, are from a time where they called asians "orientals".  my husband's dad doesn't mean it to sound the way it does and he doesn't mean any ill intent, but he's basically implied my culture is primitive and exotic even though i was born and raised in CA.  i usually just laugh it off.  i'm sure when we're older, the younger people will all wonder and laugh at the old folks who talk about gay marriage like it's unusual.

very true.  i used to work for a doctor who was super old-fashioned.  he's got to be 70 now.  he only hired good looking girls and either whites or asians.  the one time he hired a black girl, it was because they had no other, better options and they kept her in the back of the office and in the operating room the entire time.  they'd probably never hire a black girl for the front office.  the only 2 latina girls they've hired looked white.  and one time, i walked by the administrator's inbox and on someone's resume, it was written "pear-shaped and frumpy".  DAMN.

also, my father-in-law is 75.  he, like the doctor i worked for, are from a time where they called asians "orientals".  my husband's dad doesn't mean it to sound the way it does and he doesn't mean any ill intent, but he's basically implied my culture is primitive and exotic even though i was born and raised in CA.  i usually just laugh it off.  i'm sure when we're older, the younger people will all wonder and laugh at the old folks who talk about gay marriage like it's unusual.

My wife and I was with my Dad's cousin (who I call my Uncle) for Easter. Total stereotypical Brooklyn. Somehow talked about something and mention a place was "Oriental." She's Chinese American born in Brooklyn. No ill intent, but its still nails to the chalkboard to me.

My wife and I was with my Dad's cousin (who I call my Uncle) for Easter. Total stereotypical Brooklyn. Somehow talked about something and mention a place was "Oriental." She's Chinese American born in Brooklyn. No ill intent, but its still nails to the chalkboard to me.

ha ya, i remember one time i was telling my in-laws about little saigon which is the next town over from where i live.  my father-in-law straight up asked me if there were rickshaws in the street...  then the last dinner i made for him was this:  http://www.aveceric.com/seared-salmon-sauteed-pea-shoots-and-ginger-soy-vinaigrette/

and he said he liked all the "exotic" flavors...  it's just lime, ginger, garlic, olive oil and soy...  lol.  i don't know... he has a british palate so maybe to him it is exotic, but as an asian...  i kind of bristle at that word.

also, his sister was talking about how people of my culture must be used to lots of women in the delivery room/area because they're used to having the village or large family come together during childbirth.  uh no.  my mom was born in a hospital like most anyone else in the western world and she didn't show up to my birth until the child was already born.  lol.

oh well.  i've just accepted that older people just innocently make these assumptions based on the time and where they grew up.  it'll die out over time.

• 3 weeks later...