Discogs seller costs increase

To enable the hiring of additional staff and improve our level of service to you, we're going to be increasing Marketplace selling fees effective May 1st, 2012.

Items sold on or after that date will have the following fees:

8% for Standard Listings

10% for Product Search Listings

(a $0.10 minimum fee will remain in place)

Invoices sent on or after May 1st, 2012 will now be due 10 days after the invoice date.

Increasing fees is something we try to do as infrequently and with as much notice as possible. Our last fee increase was almost 3 years ago in July 2009. As a result we've made a number of significant improvements to Discogs:

* grew our team from 4 people to 9 people

* delivered over 1,300 features and bug fixes

* increased conversion rate in the Marketplace by more than 84%

* more than doubled the number of servers, making the site faster and more reliable

This fee increase will allow us to:

* bring on additional software developers, so that we can add additional features

* hire a customer support rep based in Europe, so that we can respond to requests in a more timely manner, and in multiple languages

* improve our marketing efforts, to increase site awareness and expand our user base

* continue investing in new hardware to keep Discogs fast and stable

We sincerely thank you for choosing to sell on Discogs and we look forward to your continued success.

Essentially no difference between them and ebay now

Of course I'm embarrassed and disappointed, but it's still better than eBay.

1. It's free to list on Discogs. If you don't sell, you don't get charged. How many I'd us have lost money on eBay from buyers who never paid and good till cancelled bin that never sold?

2. 8% is less than 13%.

Basically, they raised the listing fee from 6% to 8%.

I'm not naive to think it won't go up in the future, though.

Essentially no difference between them and ebay now

1. It's free to list on Discogs. If you don't sell, you don't get charged. How many I'd us have lost money on eBay from buyers who never paid and good till cancelled bin that never sold?

2. 8% is less than 13%.

Just a heads up, eBay final value fee is NOT 13 percent, I really have no clue where you are pulling that number out from. I addressed this earlier in the other discogs thread and never got a response. eBay is 9 percent. Paypal (which you still get charged on discogs sales) is 2.9%. So you are comparing 10.9 percent with 11.9 percent. 1 percent more for 1,000,000 times the exposure. If you have evidence of 13 percent you claim, please post it now, otherwise stop making figures up and refer to the eBay and Paypal links I posted earlier.

2. 8% is less than 13%.

Just a heads up, eBay final value fee is NOT 13 percent, I really have no clue where you are pulling that number out from. I addressed this earlier in the other discogs thread and never got a response. eBay is 9 percent. Paypal (which you still get charged on discogs sales) is 2.9%. So you are comparing 10.9 percent with 11.9 percent. 1 percent more for 1,000,000 times the exposure. If you have evidence of 13 percent you claim, please post it now, otherwise stop making figures up and refer to the eBay and Paypal links I posted earlier.

Best post on here. People do make up stuff with no sources

Ebay is 9%

2. 8% is less than 13%.

It's foolish to assume that others are mistaken when it is you who is in the dark.

I did reply to the 13% issue in reply #24 on here http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73288&start=0

I apologize for not quoting your post as the same issue was addressed by another poster.

Since discogs does not allow auctions, we are comparing the pros/cons of fixed price sales on both sites.

eBay charges 13% for media.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Fixed price final value fees:

Total cost to buyer:

$0.99– $50.00 13.0% of total cost to buyer

$50.01–$1000.00 13.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the remaining balance ($50.01–$1,000.00)

$1000.01 or more 13.0% of the initial $50.00, plus 5.0% of the next $50.01–$1,000.00, plus 2.0% of the remaining balance ($1,000.01–total cost to buyer)

Y'all gotta realize n00bbeams is listing from Japan and no one wants to pay more in postage than the record costs so no one buys his shit. And he works for Discogs.

The world isn't America. I sold quite well on eBay. But Americans were my biggest customers.

Last month I sold $400 of records. But my eBay fees were $140.

What happened was (besides the 13% on initial $50 and then some) I was unaware that unsold "Good Till Cancelled w/no extra fee" items were having their insertion fees automatically renewed. I closed my eBay store. I will still use eBay for auctions, but only if it's something I know will get bids.

The thread you keep referring back to reads like this:

I believe eBay fees are up 13% for buy it now. Auctions may be 9%

I apologize for coming off as I was attacking you but I was asking you to provide a link to where you see a 13% fee on vinyl. You posted one later on that shows 13% for Books, DVDs & Movies, Music, and Video Games. Which also isn't entirely accurate, according to the fee calculator I linked to and every item I've ever sold on eBay. Who knows, maybe I'm getting some sort of discount or something. My recent iPad auction which ended at 370.11 had a final value fee of $33.35, far less than 13%. The last item I sold beside that was a Jackie Brown blu ray steelbook for $49.21 and had a final value of $4.43. Maybe I'm out of line pulling from my own personal experience as examples, or maybe they charge 13% in Japan or something. Guess I am just confused

edit: Getting charged extra value fees per month on items is your own fault though, if something sits for over a month without selling then it shouldn't be on eBay in the first place and should just sit on discogs instead.