Question about warping....

Hey guys, I've got a question about warped records. I got a record recently that, I am assuming, has a very slight warp. It sounds fine, but is playing just the slightest bit slow. It is barely noticeable, but if I sink it with an mp3 it falls behind. Since the record plays fine, I'm assuming this is a really minor warp? From what I've been reading, it seems the best method is to place it between two sheets of glass and leave it out in the sun-thoughts?

Also, how much does records leaning to the right or left affect their warping? Back in my homestate(where most my records are), I would stack them upright on my old bookshelf, usually with the centermost records tilted slightly inward so that the records on one end weren't being crushed. Will this cause significant warping? I also had a few records that were lying on top of eachother out of their sleeves for a couple weeks, how long does a warping effect typically take? Just want to make sure I'm taking proper care of my stuff. Thanks alot.

i don't think warping will slow down the song on a record.

i have plenty of records that are warped but the tone arm does its thing. i know that i have two records that are warped beyond repair but it basically keeps skipping.

i know if you have a belt driven table, the belt can expand after awhile playing at a slower speed. is it happening with all your records?

I'm pretty positive that it is only this record and it is almost unnoticeable. It is a new turntable so I'm a little unfamiliar with its mechanics. I had read online about the belt though, is there anyway I can check that out?

And I'll make sure not to let them lie on each other again. I was just feeling a little paranoid, worried some of my favorite records back home might be deteriorating due to improper storage in my absence.

Hey guys, I've got a question about warped records. I got a record recently that, I am assuming, has a very slight warp. It sounds fine, but is playing just the slightest bit slow. It is barely noticeable, but if I sink it with an mp3 it falls behind. Since the record plays fine, I'm assuming this is a really minor warp? From what I've been reading, it seems the best method is to place it between two sheets of glass and leave it out in the sun-thoughts?

Also, how much does records leaning to the right or left affect their warping? Back in my homestate(where most my records are), I would stack them upright on my old bookshelf, usually with the centermost records tilted slightly inward so that the records on one end weren't being crushed. Will this cause significant warping? I also had a few records that were lying on top of eachother out of their sleeves for a couple weeks, how long does a warping effect typically take? Just want to make sure I'm taking proper care of my stuff. Thanks alot.

I've never heard of a warp slowing down a record.

Your records will not warp from leaning against each other nor will they warp from being stacked on top of each other for a while.

If a record is warped in such a way that it has a bowl shape, it can slow down the record, particularly if its a 7". If the side playing is turned upward like a functional bowl, then the weight of the needle can prevent the record from spinning at the correct speed because there is not enough weight in the record to produce friction on the bottom side to hold onto the slip mat. I have a Deftones 7" that arrived with this slight bowl shape and the side that was turned up would begin to slowdown during playback and eventually completely stop with the bottom side "grinding" against the still turning slip mat. I stacked a bunch of heavy 12" records on it for a few hours and it was flat again. Problem solved.

• 3 weeks later...

so i don't think it is the turn table, and if it is it is only for this one record. the first half isn't THAT slow, but it is slightly. it seems to get worse as it goes on. at times the vocals get that "slowmo" sound and i can hear the guitars and stuff sounding like they are going out of tune. the second half of the record is even worse, anybody ever have this happen to them? the middle hole where you place it on the turntable is extremely tight but i've seen that before, there seem to be some really small cracks around the hole on one side under the label, might that be it?

thankyou!

If a record is warped in such a way that it has a bowl shape, it can slow down the record, particularly if its a 7". If the side playing is turned upward like a functional bowl, then the weight of the needle can prevent the record from spinning at the correct speed because there is not enough weight in the record to produce friction on the bottom side to hold onto the slip mat. I have a Deftones 7" that arrived with this slight bowl shape and the side that was turned up would begin to slowdown during playback and eventually completely stop with the bottom side "grinding" against the still turning slip mat. I stacked a bunch of heavy 12" records on it for a few hours and it was flat again. Problem solved.

just saw this quote, this seems like the most similar thing to my problem. is it ok to lay it flat under a pile of records? i wouldn't want my other records to get warped. thankyou!

I think this may all be in your head. Sound find, barely noticeable, etc are all stuff that this recent surge of vinyl people are all taking about.

I told my Dad recently of some guy trying to return a record because it had a pop in it. He was like they would have laughed at you 40 plus years ago for even thinking of such a thing.

Just enjoy the record.

The easiest way to see if it is warped is lay it on a table or flat surface and see if it is not laying flat. This isnt new technology

I hear you dude, but it definitely isn't all in my head. On the B side the vocals are very noticeably slower, it doesn't sound like the singer at all. Before when I said laid it flat, I mean flat in it's sleeve like between two stacks of books, the opposite of how it would be in a cabinet. Would that be the best way to straighten it? Thankyou.

Check to see if there's any lateral movement with the needle. Sometimes records get pressed slightly off center so you can see the arm moving back and forth, and it makes the record sound warped.

Hmm interesting, this might be it, is there any way to fix it?

The record looks like one side might just be slightly curved upwards.

Thankyou!