Tipping

Everyone at some point in their life should be required to work in retail or in some form of service.

couldn't agree more. before entering my career last year i worked at a restaurant as a server for 5 years during my studies and it makes me a lot more conscious of the job itself including how shitty it can be at times (but not always, obviously) and also things like paying in to a tip pool, making shitty wages in return for keeping a portion of tips, etc...

I remember when I tried to tip people in England, they looked at me like I had two heads. Cabbies, bartenders, you name it. It's definitely a cultural thing.

It is true. Nobody (including me) ever tips in pubs/clubs/bars, it's just not how it works here. In restaurants you do but not to the amounts everyone is talking about in here. 10% is the max usually.

In taxi it is usually the "keep the change" line. so they'll get an extra pound or two (usual taxi journey is around £8-£10). Same goes for delivery drivers for pizza etc.

Tipping always takes my by surprise when I visit the US.

This caused all sorts of awkwardness when I went to Paris and London with my girlfriend last year. We knew beforehand that tips are already calculated into bills but we still left a tip on the table out of habit. We just couldn't NOT leave one!

No, they're not.

Besides the US, the whole world functions pretty well WITHOUT tips (or with very scarce presence of them), believe me.

Try tipping in Japan and see what happens.

I worked at a turtle wax for a year and we would do full out windex, dry, vacuum and did a really good job on your car. Would take at least 5 minutes per car. Also in the middle of Chicago winter. Most often would have to dry the car with someone else. They would also watch us and see two of us. Most the time we would rarely get tipped or get $1 total.

I also would detail (i loved detailing cars, except soccer moms with vomit in the chairs) I can count on my hand the times i received more than $2, sometimes spending 3+ hours on each car. I struggled to make $6 an hour there.

We opened a Delta Sonic right down my house after I quit, had a few friends work there. They would dry off the car in less than a minute, had a HUGE line all day and would bring home 60/80$+ a night, I was so pissed.

I now live and work in Tokyo. The idea of tipping is unheard of here (giving presents, usually cookies is very popular) But love not having to worry about tipping here, the servers are incredibly great and super helpful. Many restaurants do a table charge where you get a small dish (usually random and you dont get to choose) that is 2-$4.

I have certain friends who are like "I just leave $2 regardless of how much I spent." That's the worst. If I'm with someone and feel they didn't tip enough I always leave enough to cover their ass too. 

Also my favorite is when my friends and I get stereotyped and gratuity is automatically added to the check, cause it always ends up being less than I would have tipped anyway. But I also hate when that happens and the server is a dick from that point on cause they know they get tipped regardless. 

I have certain friends who are like "I just leave $2 regardless of how much I spent." That's the worst. If I'm with someone and feel they didn't tip enough I always leave enough to cover their ass too.

Also my favorite is when my friends and I get stereotyped and gratuity is automatically added to the check, cause it always ends up being less than I would have tipped anyway. But I also hate when that happens and the server is a dick from that point on cause they know they get tipped regardless.

1. Put your friends on blast and tell the server that they're shitty tippers.

2. On the subject of autograt, a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Servers make judgment calls which comes from experience. You may call it stereotyping but it's all part of the game.

being a former server, I think you're likely to tip more.  but... you're also likely to be critical at times, and empathetic at others. it was always funny to me.

When I served I could always guess which of my customers had served before by who stacked up the plates and trash for me.

am I the only one here who tips based on services performed?  I am not one who gives out a 15 - 20% tip regardless of how the service was... its all subjective, but if you're shitty at what you do, or you have a shitty attitude, or you just ignore my table/party, you'll get ignored/get a shitty tip at the end of the night.  I understand places are busy, understaffed, suck to work at, and i'll take that into account, but that doesnt mean you get to be bad at your job and get the same tip as someone who does their job well gets. 

am I the only one here who tips based on services performed? I am not one who gives out a 15 - 20% tip regardless of how the service was... its all subjective, but if you're shitty at what you do, or you have a shitty attitude, or you just ignore my table/party, you'll get ignored/get a shitty tip at the end of the night. I understand places are busy, understaffed, suck to work at, and i'll take that into account, but that doesnt mean you get to be bad at your job and get the same tip as someone who does their job well gets.

I'm definitely with you on this one

My current least favorite trend in tipping that I've been seeing is customers who split their payment on a bill with cash and card and then only tip out on what they're signing for on the card slip. It's like they forgot they paid for half their bill in cash. Drives me nuts, but I've seen it a lot recently.

I will also back up what was said in the thread earlier about calculators. As soon as I see one come out I know I'm going to get the bare minimum.

My current least favorite trend in tipping that I've been seeing is customers who split their payment on a bill with cash and card and then only tip out on what they're signing for on the card slip. It's like they forgot they paid for half their bill in cash. Drives me nuts, but I've seen it a lot recently.

I will also back up what was said in the thread earlier about calculators. As soon as I see one come out I know I'm going to get the bare minimum.

I can't imagine using a calculator to be generous 

I can't imagine using a calculator to be generous 

i am exceptionally terrible at tip calculation, so i usually do 20% on my phone's calculator, then round up to whatever will make my bill an even dollar amount.

because i'm one of those people who likes niiiiiice evennnnn rouuunnnnddd numbers.

double post sidenote: i use a calculator because i'm paranoid about short changing a server with my shitty math skills, not because i'm trying to save money.

As a former server I can say that they appreciate it when people take the extra time to ensure they are compensated for their hard work.

I don't eat anywhere fancy (Red Robin being the most expensive meal for me). But I do make sure to tip above 18%. Last time I went there specifically, it was pretty busy yet the waitress was on top of her game and very friendly. It was a $25 bill and I left her $7. As a car wash worker, people tip me quite often which I always appreciate. I try to pass that on to others who have a shittier job than I do, and still keep a smile on their face.

here in chicago, where tax is usually 11%, i usually double the tax and round up to an even number. i always try to leave a cash tip when i can. if service is shit, i usually cut the tip in half, but i'm not passive. i let the waiter know why i'm upset, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

As a server I have to say that it's kind of a dick move to go out of your way to tell someone the reason why you didn't tip them generously. Most of us know when we've dropped the ball. Just leave your tip and move on. Snarky notes on credit slips are infuriating.

As a server I have to say that it's kind of a dick move to go out of your way to tell someone the reason why you didn't tip them generously. Most of us know when we've dropped the ball. Just leave your tip and move on. Snarky notes on credit slips are infuriating.

that's not what i mean. i'll complain about things like not being checked on for a half hour or something like that. if they come back with a legitimate excuse, then all is usually forgiven. but if they're as ass about it, they know why they got a less than average tip.