Riot Fest 2013

bgdesign

Alright. You guys win. My roommate really wants to go and there's enough WTF bands and nostalgia bands to keep me interested. Guess ill see you guys at Riot Fest. Think we're gonna spring for VIP. Is there any reason not to?

I highly recommend the VIP pass.  If you were expecting to drink 15 beers over the course of 3 days, you're already coming out at least $5 ahead.  The lounge area was pretty ok and I thought that the VIP stage access was very fair.

having a helluva time finding a good reasonably-priced place to stay in Chicago. to save money (and have a kitchen) we're trying to find an apartment/condo/whatever to stay in via AirBNB and surprise, no one's place is available those days...

anyone have any suggestions? the hotels around Humboldt Park seem ratty and sketchy, but maybe across the freeway closer to downtown? we'll be using the bus system so i don't wanna stay too far away, but may not have a choice at this point.

having a helluva time finding a good reasonably-priced place to stay in Chicago. to save money (and have a kitchen) we're trying to find an apartment/condo/whatever to stay in via AirBNB and surprise, no one's place is available those days...

anyone have any suggestions? the hotels around Humboldt Park seem ratty and sketchy, but maybe across the freeway closer to downtown? we'll be using the bus system so i don't wanna stay too far away, but may not have a choice at this point.

everything around humboldt park IS ratty and sketchy. But everything is pretty accessible with public transit. 

Okay you guys. I sold my pitchfork tickets and my roommate has begged me to go to riot fest. We bought VIP tickets yesterday. I want to see most of the non-punk bands (with a few nostalgic exceptions). I made a list of all the bands I want to see. The ones in bold being must-see and the others being bands I wouldn't mind seeing. Give me some suggestions of other bands on the lineup to check out as I've been out of the loop of newer bands in this scene.

Going down the lineup:

The Replacements

The Violent Femmes

Blondie

Public Enemy

Brand New - roommate's must see. 

Guided By Voices

Taking Back Sunday

The Dismemberment Plan

Dinosaur Jr

Devotchka

Gwar

Best Coast

Quicksand

Mission Of Burma

Saves The Day

Glassjaw

Stars

Smoking Popes

Reggie

Maps & Atlasas

Surfer Blood

regarding hotels/transit. Last year I had reasonable success with Priceline. Ended up paying $100 a night to stay at the Blackstone downtown. Bought a 3-day unlimited CTA pass and had no problem getting around.

If you want to do it on the cheap, your best option is probably staying near O'Hare and just take the Blue line in.

No parking except on the streets and that can be difficult.

I drove down each day last year and plan to do the same this year. i had no problems finding parking within the park and no problems with actually parking there. It seemed a little sketchy but with the amount of police down there I felt alright leaving my car there for the day.

Okay you guys. I sold my pitchfork tickets and my roommate has begged me to go to riot fest. We bought VIP tickets yesterday. I want to see most of the non-punk bands (with a few nostalgic exceptions). I made a list of all the bands I want to see. The ones in bold being must-see and the others being bands I wouldn't mind seeing. Give me some suggestions of other bands on the lineup to check out as I've been out of the loop of newer bands in this scene.

Going down the lineup:

The Replacements

The Violent Femmes

Blondie

Public Enemy

Guided By Voices

Taking Back Sunday

The Dismemberment Plan

Dinosaur Jr

Devotchka

Gwar

Best Coast

Quicksand

Mission Of Burma

Saves The Day

Glassjaw

Stars

Smoking Popes

Reggie

Maps & Atlasas

Surfer Blood

THE BROADWAYS

Brendan Kelly's band between Slapstick and Lawrence Arms and arguably better than both (definitely better than Larry Arms for sure). Only had 2 albums but have really only played once since they broke up back in 2000 (???). This is a must see IMO.

The rest of the Riot Fest lineup could have been terrible and I still would have forked over the cash for the 3-Day pass to see them.

Hmm

If you look at googlemaps you'll see its a giant park with a road winding through the whole thing, and you park along the whole thing at least you could last year, and I'm thinking nothing will have changed.  Just saying I did it last year without any incident, and only had to walk a little ways to get there.

THE BROADWAYS

Brendan Kelly's band between Slapstick and Lawrence Arms and arguably better than both (definitely better than Larry Arms for sure). Only had 2 albums but have really only played once since they broke up back in 2000 (???). This is a must see IMO.

The rest of the Riot Fest lineup could have been terrible and I still would have forked over the cash for the 3-Day pass to see them.

Well he said non-punk and they're not better than the Lawrence Arms and they played in 2011. But yeah, definitely should see them.

everything around humboldt park IS ratty and sketchy. But everything is pretty accessible with public transit. 

HA. noted, thanks. we're trying to stay at an apartment near Logan Park at the moment, walking distance to Humboldt park and a 40 min subway ride to/from the airport. we'll see if it works out, though

Going down the lineup:

The Replacements

The Violent Femmes

Blondie

Public Enemy

Guided By Voices

Taking Back Sunday

The Dismemberment Plan

Dinosaur Jr

Devotchka

Gwar

Best Coast

Quicksand

Mission Of Burma

Saves The Day

Glassjaw

Stars

Smoking Popes

Reggie

Maps & Atlasas

Surfer Blood

The Selecter - Pick it up, pick it up, pick it up!

You might dig Twin Peaks and White Mystery; both do that dirty garage rock sort of thing.

Well he said non-punk and they're not better than the Lawrence Arms and they played in 2011. But yeah, definitely should see them.

Broadways > Lawrence Arms without a doubt. They did play in 2011 but you had to travel to California to see it.

Probably wont even see The Lawrence Arms Riot Fest set because thats how little I think of that band.