Recently Viewing

Finally watched Upstream Color last night. So good. Definitely plan on rewatching at some point in the future.

For some reason I just stopped watching a lot of movies this year, but I plan on starting back up again

Same here, school is getting in the way of me watching the amount of flicks I would like to watch right now. Learning is lame.

I kinda find that the more I have going on, the more movies I watch. If I'm at home for a week, I tend to watch marathons of TV shows. If I work 9 hours and come home, I know I'm going to hit the couch for a couple hours and go to bed. 2 hour movie is about perfect to wind down to.

Finally watched Upstream Color last night. So good. Definitely plan on rewatching at some point in the future.

I just got around to watching this last night and holy moly. Reading interviews with the director now and will probably have to watch again tonight. I have a feeling this will be a lot more rewarding on 2nd watch, unlike Primer which is cool but I probably still wouldn't understand it after 10 viewings.

This Is The End. Started off very funny, then progressively slumped into mediocrity after Danny McBride left. Towards the end of the movie I just wanted it to be over. Would have been a lot better with just 80 minutes of partying/getting fucked up at James Francos

Thought it was pretty solid all the way through. Most comedies open better than they close. End is more about the storyline and relationships than just setting up funny shit.

This Is The End. Started off very funny, then progressively slumped into mediocrity after Danny McBride left. Towards the end of the movie I just wanted it to be over. Would have been a lot better with just 80 minutes of partying/getting fucked up at James Francos

I felt the same way.  It was really strong up until McBride left and then I thought it fizzled.

Finally saw The Way Way Back last night. I really dug it. Steve Carrell played a pretty decent asshole and Sam Rockwell has been one of my favorites for a while now.

I liked that movie a lot more than I expected to.  Sam Rockwell was fantastic in it.

I watched Lemmy a couple nights ago and it was great.  Worth watching, even if you're not a huge Motorhead fan.

Kings Speech: Finally got around to watching this.  Pretty good though did not feel it was as mind blowingly amazing as alot of people said.

Paprika: after 3 years on my dvd queue on netflix finally got around to watching this.  after a 15 hour work day do not think it was the best choice of movies. trippy and interesting.

Only God Forgives:  Been waiting to watch this and did not disapoint. brutal and minimalist.  Have not found a movie by Nicolas Winding Refn that I have hated.

A Band Called Death: Dig their music. glad to hear the story behind it. good watch.

Went to a  Horror/Exploitation/Etc marathon yesterday (Hudson Horror Show, if anyone is in the Hudson Valley area). 5 movies all from 35mm prints with old trailer reels before each film.

Invasion of the Bee Girls: 70s sexploitation/sci-fi written by the guy who wrote/directed Stark Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. It's about "an army of beauties who seduce men to death." Hilarious and full of boobs. A lot of fun if you're into "bad" movies.

Pumpkinhead: Not a great movie, just merely ok. This was their "Mystery Movie" so I was a little bummed when "A Stan Winston Film" popped up on the screen because I had watched it a couple weeks ago. I think this is the only movie he ever directed and it would've been cool if he did some more.

Horror Express: Low budget British horror film about a mummified ape/man thing killing people on a train (it gets more ridiculous than that but I'm not down with spoilers). My least favorite of the day, but it was still fun seeing Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee on the big screen. Telly Savalas is more entertaining in his 5 minutes of screen time than the rest of the movie. Suffered a little bit by being the mid point of the marathon though. I always end up taking a 10 minute nap halfway through the 3rd film.

Escape From New York: I really don't need to say anything about this. Peak John Carpenter/Kurt Russell with an awesome soundtrack and a ton of great actors. A crowd that applauds and cheers Tom Atkins appearing on screen is a good crowd.

The Thing: Same as EFNY. Peak Carpenter/Russell. Gore and creature effects from this movie will never not own. A handful of people in the crowd had never seen it before, judging from the few legit screams during the defibrillator scene

One of these days I'll go to one of these shows when I actually have money. Tons of vendors with awesome rare/obscure dvds and bootlegs. Art prints, shirts, vinyl, all that good shit (I'm "whatever" about the action figures and shit though).

Oh and I won a copy of the Insidious Chapter 2 soundtrack on vinyl. Dudes who run the show give away so much free shit it always gets to the point where they give up on doing trivia questions and just start throwing shirts into the audience The stuff they shouldn't throw they say what it is and then just give it to whoever looks like they want it the most.

Man, I wish we had more events/places like that here. Michigan has some cool repertory theatres/movie palaces - actually some of the most amazing places I've ever seen. But that festival sounds pretty fucking neat.

I've been to the last four of their events and am still pissed I did't know about their first four because I missed out on some insane movies. This is the only think like it around here though. I wish there were theaters that would show older movies regularly. The arthouse place does maybe one classic a year, but I got to see Stop Making Sense on 35mm so that was awesome.

I've been to the last four of their events and am still pissed I did't know about their first four because I missed out on some insane movies. This is the only think like it around here though. I wish there were theaters that would show older movies regularly. The arthouse place does maybe one classic a year, but I got to see Stop Making Sense on 35mm so that was awesome.

We have this place nearby, The Redford Theatre, that is amazing. It's a golden age movie palace that had a Japanese theme, and it was totally destroyed because of WWII. They've spent decades restoring it to its former splendor. It looks like an outdoor amphitheater inside. I love movie palaces, but it's hard to find them anymore. The digital shift is killing off a lot of theaters, too. The Redford only shows old 35mm prints and is run by hardcore preservationists. It's hard not to fall in love with.