Recently Viewing

I finally got around to watching Mud last night.  I've been saving it for a night where I knew I'd be free of distractions and felt like something a little more serious.  I think waiting so long had built it up for me a little bit, but overall I liked it quite a bit.  Based on the progression from Take Shelter to Mud, I think Jeff Nichols is a film or two away from making something phenomenal.

Just finished Artifact (30 seconds to mars doc) and it was decent. It wasn't really filled with a lot of new information, just interesting to see the battle against a major label from the point of view of the successful, mainstream artist. Still not a huge fan of their music though

Would anyone believe that I never watched an entire episode of The Simpsons in my entire life until this past week?

Randomly decided to buy the first season for cheap, so I'm on the second disc right now. I really like it. Nothing special as of right now but it's completely understandable. Can't wait until it starts hitting its stride. I found the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons at the Exchange last night so I picked them up too.

Would anyone believe that I never watched an entire episode of The Simpsons in my entire life until this past week?

Randomly decided to buy the first season for cheap, so I'm on the second disc right now. I really like it. Nothing special as of right now but it's completely understandable. Can't wait until it starts hitting its stride. I found the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons at the Exchange last night so I picked them up too.

Nice. It had an incredible run for about 7 or so years starting in season 3.

I don't know how you could do that, not in the manner of 'The Simpsons is so great, how could you not have seen it yet!!1!!!'.  But in the way of, it's been on for so long that it seems near impossible not to have seen an episode at some point.  I'm impressed!

I think The Simpsons was excellent from maybe Season 4 until 12 (and stayed fairly funny until 14).  After that I felt like the quality dipped drastically and I stopped watching it regularly.  I usually watch an episode or two every season and I have yet to really like anything new.

It's one of those things that had its "specialness" diluted by ubiquity. I've seen every great episode a dozen times over; I could go a whole day speaking almost exclusively in Simpsons references. To discover it for the first time...that would be so cool. Though I don't think it would have aged particularly poorly, I wonder how the decade-plus since it's been that great and that influential might make it seem...less so to a "new audience."

I mean, it broke ground in territory that is pretty common now.

I don't know how you could do that, not in the manner of 'The Simpsons is so great, how could you not have seen it yet!!1!!!'.  But in the way of, it's been on for so long that it seems near impossible not to have seen an episode at some point.  I'm impressed!

I really don't know how I couldn't have seen an episode either.  I mean, I remember seeing bits and pieces of some episodes when I was younger, and my friend had the "Hit & Run" game for the PS2 that we played quite often.  But other than that, I've never really seen anything.  I think one of the main problems was I never knew what time it was usually on and what exact channel.  So by the time I got into more "mature" cartoons, that's when Family Guy was kind of becoming a thing, so I kinda just completely put off getting into The Simpsons.

I kind of regret it now because now that I've broadened my range of "mature" cartoons, Family Guy is probably my least favorite.  Right now I'm all about American Dad, South Park, and now The Simpsons.  But in a way, I'm almost glad I put off watching The Simpsons because now it feels like I have an (almost) endless supply of episodes to watch.

Another random thing that may surprise people, I've always loved Futurma ever since I first saw it.  But yet that still never brought me to check out The Simpsons.  Maybe the biggest reason is because I KNEW how much there was and it was a little intimidating at the time.  Now I can appreciate how much there is and actually allow myself to enjoy it.

12 Years a Slave: Great Film. Great Lead Actor. Even at 2:30+ it flowed.

Out of the Furnace: Awful. Why was this film made? What was the point? One of Bale's worst performances imo.

Captain Philips: Wait until it's on HBO. It's well made and solid but I wouldn't run to put $15 down for it.

The Armstrong Lie: I followed the story closely so I learned nothing. Curious about the case and know little then you'll be happy. If you want the short take: Everyone did EPO. Armstrong was the biggest star doing it. Armstrong was also the biggest asshole doing it and ruined people's lives. No one had to take a harder fall than Lance because he was the biggest lying asshole out there. 

There are more - I'm plowing through movies thanks to screeners via my Guild. 

Saw the Hobbit on Friday.  Entertaining but about 40 minutes too long. they really should have just done two long movies.

Just finished the Purge.  Interesting concept, shitty movie.

Started Sons of Anarchy.  About half way through season 1. Burning through it pretty quickly. Everyone has told me to watch it and finally going to catch up on all of it with the latest season just finishing.

Started Sons of Anarchy.  About half way through season 1. Burning through it pretty quickly. Everyone has told me to watch it and finally going to catch up on all of it with the latest season just finishing.

The second season was my favorite, after that I thought the quality fluctuated a lot per episode.  Overall, I dig it though.  You should have fun catching up on it.