Recently Viewing

You could have gotten it for $15 shipped from Amazon. Even if you wanted to watch right away, it would have been cheaper to rent right now and then still buy online.

I'm a believer in never buying DVDs. If I rent a single movie 20 times and it ends up costing more than if I had just bought it, there are 100 more that I save money on by not buying them.

We really never buy DVD's. We only buy boxsets or movies made by people we both really like. I own every Wes Anderson movie on DVD. We were at a record store that sells new/used DVD'S. They were running a buy 2 get one free deal. We also bought used copies of Dick Tracy and Zoolander so with the $29.99 DVD plus those two I think the total was $34.00 haha.

Yeah I wasn't saying you made the worst decision of all time. I just look at some of my friends with many hundreds of DVDs and think, "are you stupid?" There is no way you are watching all those movies enough to make it worth the money. Just get a netflix dvd plan. I have friends who have probably already spent more purchasing DVDs than it would cost them for a lifetime subscription to Netflix.

They probably think it is stupid I buy records but whatever. Records hold a lot of value. Dvds do not.

Yeah I wasn't saying you made the worst decision of all time. I just look at some of my friends with many hundreds of DVDs and think, "are you stupid?" There is no way you are watching all those movies enough to make it worth the money. Just get a netflix dvd plan. I have friends who have probably already spent more purchasing DVDs than it would cost them for a lifetime subscription to Netflix.

They probably think it is stupid I buy records but whatever. Records hold a lot of value. Dvds do not.

I personally always buy DVD's.  Sure they may not hold value, but I like actually having a physical copy.  Same way I like my music.

The wife and I watched Moonrise Kingdom last night. I liked it. It mixed a lot of totally impossible acts with stuff that could really happen. On a sidenote, whats with Wes Anderson DVD's being so expensive? That shit was $29.99

Most of his movies are Criterion, so maybe those are the versions you were buying?  That's how much the Blurays for Darjeeling, Tenenbaums and Rushmore cost me.

I really need to get on this House of Cards business.

I purchase DVDs and blu rays because I like having a physical copy.  I watch movies every single night of the week, so it's nice to know I can grab something I will enjoy each night from my shelves that I know Netflix wont have.  Maybe I'm wasting money, but it's cool, I'm happy with it.  I've been a lot more selective about the purchases I make these days regarding movies.  

Most of his movies are Criterion, so maybe those are the versions you were buying?  That's how much the Blurays for Darjeeling, Tenenbaums and Rushmore cost me.

I know. All of the other movies come in cool cases with booklets and tons of bonus stuff. They are cool. This one is a simple black DVD case, it doesn't even have a card in it. The bonus features are like 15 minutes long. I would understand if it Criterion but this is not. I dunno why I am complaining anyway, she paid for it. Haha.

I know. All of the other movies come in cool cases with booklets and tons of bonus stuff. They are cool. This one is a simple black DVD case, it doesn't even have a card in it. The bonus features are like 15 minutes long. I would understand if it Criterion but this is not. I dunno why I am complaining anyway, she paid for it. Haha.

Oh you meant specifically Moonrise. Yeah, that one wasn't Criterion and I was disappointed too in the lack of special features.  Not sure where she paid $30 for it, i paid $25 on day of release for the bluray/dvd combo.

Yeah you guys can obviously spend your money on whatever you want. I don't see DVDs as collectible though (whereas I do see it with vinyl). They are just too mass produced. And the physical aspects of a DVD don't appeal to me anymore than the physical aspects of a cd do, which is why I haven't bought a cd since about 2008.

If I was to buy DVDs, I would definitely be buying on the aftermarket and take advantage of the fact that they do not hold their value. If someone is getting their DVDs for under $5 then everything I said about renting making more financial sense goes out the window.

I have a T2 Laserdisc that is pretty sick. My friend got it for me thinking it was the soundtrack on vinyl. Pretty rad. I guess that's the only modern video format I can think of as being collectible. 

Also, people collect those steel case blu ray covers or the blu ray paper sleeves. 

If anyone is interested, Criterion is doing a flash sale until Noon EST tomorrow, 50% off all Bluray and DVD MSRPs with promo code FLASHY.  That puts the Blurays around $20 each and DVDs $15-20 depending on the release.

They have done these and I always miss out on them. Thanks for the heads up.

Any fans of "the New Girl" in here? Fantastic show. Very well written. Probably doesn't get the hype it deserves cause it is a sitcom on Fox and get's lumped in with other lesser quality shows that are similarly promoted.

i hated the pilot, everyone i watched it with couldn't believe how bad it was. i've randomly watched a few episodes on hulu and started thinking it was decently entertaining. my girlfriend and roommate still think it's horrible. then i bought the first season dvd on sale and plowed through it. now i think it's a pretty great show. it really took me a while to get into though.

Any fans of "the New Girl" in here? Fantastic show. Very well written. Probably doesn't get the hype it deserves cause it is a sitcom on Fox and get's lumped in with other lesser quality shows that are similarly promoted.

"I think people would be better off if they made caca in their hands."

I love this show, it definitely had a horrible start. I don't think it got good until about episode 10.