Recently Viewing

I couldn't find/remember if we had a thread for "best films of 2012", so I'll add my lists here.

top 3, no order:

Prometheus

Moonrise Kingdom

Lawless

next top ~12ish, in no order (couldn't narrow it down any less):

Chronicle

21 Jump Street

The Raid

Cabin in the Woods

The Avengers

Ted

Dark Knight Rises

Dredd

End of Watch

Looper

Argo

biggest disappointments:

John Carter

Wrath of the Titans

The Raven

Dark Shadows

Snow White and the Huntsman

Rock of Ages

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

The Amazing Spider-Man (not bad at all, but not at all memorable)

Total Recall

Killing them Softly

honorable mention:

The Watch (expected shit, was pleasantly surprised)

Savages (not as good as I was hoping, but respectable)

Bourne Legacy (same as savages)

Premium Rush (entertaining, but that's it)

The Grey (not realistic, and got terrible reviews, but I dug it)

Skyfall (again, good but I expected better)

Being Flynn (only made the list based on DeNiro's performance; best role from him in a long time)

still need to see:

Haywire

Thin Ice

Case De Mi Padre

The Hunter

Bernie

Samsara

The Master

Taken 2

Frankenweenie

Seven Psychopaths

This Must Be the Place

Lincoln

Life of Pi

Silver Linings Playbook

The Hobbit (technically I saw it but fell asleep, need to see it again)

Jack Reacher

Zero Dark Thirty (2013 release)

Django Unchained

Watched "Everything Must Go" two nights ago and "The Artist" last night. Enjoyed both. I'd probably go 7 for EMG and 8 for The Artist on the IMDB scale.

The artist made me laugh a bit and I thought the story was good. It was SO slow, though. It felt like well over 2 hours, even though only an hour and half. I think when you watch a silent film you don't get "lost in it", you are just kinda actively watching the whole way through, so it doesn't fly by.

Have a whole bunch of movies in the queue to clear out. I'm also trying to have watched every movie in the IMDB top 250 over the next couple years. I'd also like to see every best picture winner going back as far as I can there should be a lot of overlap between the two.

Next couple are Sunset Boulevard, Dr. Strangelove, and Saving Private Ryan (nope, never saw it).

i've been on a huge criterion collection kick lately. my wife and i watched following, godzilla, and days of heaven last weekend. and then this weekend so far we've watched the thin red line and the last emperor. i really want to finish watching terrence malick's filmography, but i've heard the last one i need to watch, the new world, isn't that great. i've loved all of his other films though.

Last night I watched A Good Old Fashioned Orgy on Netflix. This movie definitely slipped under the radar, really really funny, great cast. Everyone here should watch it.

Just started rewatching 12 Monkeys a few minutes ago, what a terrific film.

Orgy finally showed up on Netflix? Im all over it! And you really cant go wrong with anything Gilliam does. Zero Theorem is gonna be amazing.. Whishaw, Waltz, The Damon and discovering purpose for human existence? Sold!!!!

So I saw "The Impossible" last night with my girlfriend in Sherman Oaks....

If you don't know, this is the true story of a family who was vacationing in Thailand when the tsunami hit, and it follows their improbable reunion after being separated. 

Needless to say, its a mega tear jerker and super triumphant movie that only the blackest of hearts couldn't appreciate in some way. However, I couldn't help myself from thinking that it wasn't incredibly entertaining. Their story is amazing, and I dig how it's not some overdone Hollywood action flick...but I felt I needed to know a little more about the family to have my heart strings tugged at. It was already two hours but it felt fast. Maybe I'm an asshole. I don't know. I just didn't leave the theater feeling overwhelming satisfaction as I have before. 

Most notably, I made the unforgettable mistake of walking out of the theater with my crying girlfriend and saying "I mean it was okay....." which somehow after this movie ended up being akin to me saying "you're fat". 

So don't walk out of the theater with your crying girlfriend and say the movie was anything less than inspirational and moving. Otherwise prepare to give yourself a stranger that night.

So I saw "The Impossible" last night with my girlfriend in Sherman Oaks....

If you don't know, this is the true story of a family who was vacationing in Thailand when the tsunami hit, and it follows their improbable reunion after being separated. 

Needless to say, its a mega tear jerker and super triumphant movie that only the blackest of hearts couldn't appreciate in some way. However, I couldn't help myself from thinking that it wasn't incredibly entertaining. Their story is amazing, and I dig how it's not some overdone Hollywood action flick...but I felt I needed to know a little more about the family to have my heart strings tugged at. It was already two hours but it felt fast. Maybe I'm an asshole. I don't know. I just didn't leave the theater feeling overwhelming satisfaction as I have before. 

Most notably, I made the unforgettable mistake of walking out of the theater with my crying girlfriend and saying "I mean it was okay....." which somehow after this movie ended up being akin to me saying "you're fat". 

So don't walk out of the theater with your crying girlfriend and say the movie was anything less than inspirational and moving. Otherwise prepare to give yourself a stranger that night.

Luckily my girlfriend refuses to see that movie because she knows how much she'll end up crying.

I've avoided The Impossible so far. There is something really odd that when a poor South Asian area is struck by a tragedy that kills thousands upon thousands that I should suddenly run to a film about the random white family that overcomes some obstacle. I know this is cynical so it's probably best not to see it.  

I watched the screener for Zero Dark Thirty last night.  I generally like to wait and see movies in the theater but was pretty excited for this.  Anyone else see it yet?

I didn't really know what to expect going in and it definitely didn't disappoint.  Not an action movie at all if that's what you were thinking.  Instead a pretty intense drama.  I dug it.  Interested to know where fact meets fiction.

I watched the screener for Zero Dark Thirty last night.  I generally like to wait and see movies in the theater but was pretty excited for this.  Anyone else see it yet?

I didn't really know what to expect going in and it definitely didn't disappoint.  Not an action movie at all if that's what you were thinking.  Instead a pretty intense drama.  I dug it.  Interested to know where fact meets fiction.

I dunno. I liked Point Break, I disliked the Hurt Locker. That is all I have seen from Bigelow. I'm leaning towards not seeing it, at least for a while.

Watched Phantoms last night even though it had a 5.2 on IMDB. Just wanted to see what the "youz da bomb in Phantoms" lines about Affleck in Kevin Smith's movies were about. Waste of an hour and a half.

Tonight might be "The Pianist" to knock another of the IMBD top 250 off.