Recently Viewing

I am watching this documentary called The Imposter. It is about this French guy who pretends to be this kid 16 year old kid who had been missing since he was 13. Really crazy documentary and there are quite a few twists.

I HIGHLY suggest watching for those of you who are interested in crime documentaries. It reminds me of Thin Blue Line minus the subject matter.

Wednesday night I saw the new Texas Chainsaw in 3D. Movie is meh, but Alexandra Daddario and Tania Raymonde. HHHRRRRNNGNGG. Also my friend who is really big into horror movies, especially the TC series, complained afterwards about how it's not canonical with the rest of the series if you care about that kind of thing.

Wednesday night I saw the new Texas Chainsaw in 3D. Movie is meh, but Alexandra Daddario and Tania Raymonde. HHHRRRRNNGNGG. Also my friend who is really big into horror movies, especially the TC series, complained afterwards about how it's not canonical with the rest of the series if you care about that kind of thing.

Well I don't think it would be canonical with the rest of the series because it's supposed to be a directed sequel to the very first film.

I refuse to see the remakes of the Texas Chainsaw movies. The original is one of my favorites of all time and I don't want to see it bastardized.

I bought Oxymorons on dvd a couple days ago and will prob watch it this weekend. Has anyone in here seen it? Its an independent film about the oxy boom in massachusetts in the late 90s early 2000's. The director/writer/producer/lead actor was actually a dealer and went to jail for it. It had gotten really good reviews and alot of people have told me to check it out. I just don't know if it has been talked about outside of Ma. For anyone that cares I will let you guys know what I think about it after I watch it.

I watched a documentary on Current TV that was based on the same subject (oxy/heroin addictions in Boston area especially) which had a lot of clips from that movie and some new interviews talking about it. Isn't "the Town" kinda the Hollywood version of the same subject?

It has a horrible rating on imdb (3.8). Something that low is almost guaranteed to suck. There are examples of great movies with low ratings (Billy Madison with a 6.3 comes to mind, and also Saving Silverman with a 5.7), but those are still almost double the ratings of Oxymorons.

Let us know though.

"The Town" was about bank robberies. At one point an area a little south of Boston was averaging multiple armored car/bank robberies a week. Its a good movie. Affleck knows how to get people to do the accent right and it was mostly shot here so it was fun for me to watch. Oxymorons got good reviews around here and I remember when oxy blew up so I am really curious to watch it. 

The Charlestown robbery boom was in the late 80's into the early 90's. I remember when these guys were big in the Oxy game. They didn't really rob banks they would just rob the pharmacy. CVS's and Walgreens were robbed on a regular basis sometimes multiple times a month. 

On a sidenote, I really love Boston based movies. I pick apart things that are wrong in them all the time. It drives my wife crazy.

"The Town" was about bank robberies. At one point an area a little south of Boston was averaging multiple armored car/bank robberies a week. Its a good movie. Affleck knows how to get people to do the accent right and it was mostly shot here so it was fun for me to watch. Oxymorons got good reviews around here and I remember when oxy blew up so I am really curious to watch it. 

The Town is an excellent film, but the book is like ten times better.  I know everyone always says that, but I'm adamant about this one in particular.  The book is called "Prince of Thieves", by Chuck Hogan, and it is one of my favorite books I've ever read.  Much more detail and development about everything than what the movie shows.  Much better ending also.

If you haven't seen the movie yet and enjoy reading, do yourself a favor and check out the book.  

Affleck is a great director though.  I know he gets shit because he kinda seems douchey sometimes, but the dude produces quality films.  Argo was one of the best of 2012 and he's said his next project will be Dennis Lehane's newest novel, "Live by Night", which should be another excellent film adaptation.

Watches beasts of the Southern Wild tonight with the wife. Such a fantastic movie, I would highly recommend!

It got a best picture nod, right? The only best picture nominee I saw was Django so I kinda want that to win. Beasts looked really good in the trailers, though.

Anyone else like "Perks of Being a Wallflower" a lot?