A band is putting up a PO.

You really like this band, and are really excited about this release.

You look on the PO website and it has 3 different colors of vinyl to choose from.

Do you buy the one that looks the best to you, or all 3?

Just a question. :)

I would just buy 1. Unless its I Can Make A Mess. Then I buy them all.

I haven't started to pay mine yet. This is my senior year. I should be going to grad school after this. 

I cringe every time I think about how much money I will owe. :(

Honestly, it could be a lot worse. I owe about $30k, but my brother owes about $75k. Then again, he also has two degrees and will be making bank once he gets his CPA (he's an accountant). I plan on going back to school as well for an MBA not next year, but the year after. I'm hoping at least haha

Obviously it is better to owe nothing but the rule of thumb is that if you owe less than 1 year's expected salary then you are in good shape. Get in over this, and you probably did not make a smart investment (at least, from a pure financial perspective).

Which I do, so I'm alright with it, especially since it's mostly interest in which I can claim on my taxes and get a nice refund next year B)

Which I do, so I'm alright with it, especially since it's mostly interest in which I can claim on my taxes and get a nice refund next year B)

Yep. Especially if they are at the old rates for federal loans (around 3.5%). If you deduct them (assuming a 25% tax bracket) then it is like paying 2.6% interest. Plus there are considerations for expected inflation. If you can't figure out a way to make 2.5% on your money (thereby making it smarter to invest extra money than to pay off loans quicker) then that person needs to give their money to someone else and have them managed it for them.

Someone who hits the limit on student loan deductions ($2500) or has higher interest rate private loans (6%+) might have tougher calls to make. 

Yep. Especially if they are at the old rates for federal loans (around 3.5%). If you deduct them (assuming a 25% tax bracket) then it is like paying 2.6% interest. Plus there are considerations for expected inflation. If you can't figure out a way to make 2.5% on your money (thereby making it smarter to invest extra money than to pay off loans quicker) then that person needs to give their money to someone else and have them managed it for them.

Someone who hits the limit on student loan deductions ($2500) or has higher interest rate private loans (6%+) might have tougher calls to make. 

Yeah. I know that my brother can help me and steer me in the right path now that I actually make money

im fucked with student loans. for the next decade i am screwed. probably longer. its seriously a liferuiner. its so annoying and scary at the same time. also sucks because my parents co-signed the loan, so whatever happens to me, happens to them.

now im just mad.

Don't beat yourself up over it honestly. I have a good friend who graduated with the same degree as me. Took out the max almost every semester he was in school. Now he has massive school loan payments, a car payment and has a child to boot. And with your parents co-signing, they can be dropped as a co-signer after so many years as long as you have good credit

im fucked with student loans. for the next decade i am screwed. probably longer. its seriously a liferuiner. its so annoying and scary at the same time. also sucks because my parents co-signed the loan, so whatever happens to me, happens to them.

now im just mad.

Bro, I don't have to deal with this yet, but I'm kind of in the same boat with you. 

Also, the career that I'm thinking about going into doesn't pay very well. It's just something that I want to do because I love doing it, and I want to do it. So I have to adopt this "love what you're doing" mentality before I go crazy. 

My parents are very supportive though. I mean they don't make much money at all (they're struggling quite a bit actually), but they've said that they will help me out in paying all this off if I ever need it. 

It's actually very depressing to think about.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic