Guest stl_ben.

My friend's boyfriend is overnighting me a check for gas and stuff to come to West Virginia... So it's actually happening.

I'm going to the wild and wonderful WV this weekend.

Gross. Worst state in The Union.

I think 95% of celiacs became celiacs in 2012 or 2013. I also think 95% of people who claim they are celiacs aren't actually celiacs. I'm not doubting that you are, just the general public.

I don't agree with this, I think awareness is just higher.  I have a few friends who constantly felt sick after eating finally realized they had intolerance to gluten.   I don't have celiacs and eat gluten free.  I know it's a trendy thing to do but I feel great.  Basically a low carb diet (rice cakes instead of bread, etc).  Still eat lots of potato chips cause duh.

I don't agree with this, I think awareness is just higher.  I have a few friends who constantly felt sick after eating finally realized they had intolerance to gluten.   I don't have celiacs and eat gluten free.  I know it's a trendy thing to do but I feel great.  Basically a low carb diet (rice cakes instead of bread, etc).  Still eat lots of potato chips cause duh.

You disagree and then prove his point...

Ugh so pretty sure I'm suffering from bipolar. I've been really up and down lately. Just got through today being mostly down and thinking when the depression would subside but now I feel fantastic. Trouble is I don't want to get diagnosed because I don't want to be on medication. Any advice?

as above stated below go talk to someone. find a counselor/therapist/psychologist in your area. find a mental health agency in your area. im always a big advocate of counseling. even though I hated that I got my degree in it I am still a big advocate for it. therapy can have such a stigma to it because only "crazy" people go to therapy. its bullshit.

anywho look up what places are in your area and call around. see if you could find an agency with a sliding fee scale. the less money you make the less you have to pay. I often say clients for no charge during my internship. and also insurance should cover a few visits.

Get an opinion. If it goes unnoticed it will get worse. (If bipolar) you could do harm that could be prevented.

How do you get diagnosed for being bipolar? Ever since I can remember, I have had the craziest mood swings. The smallest things can put me in an awful mood/feel depressed, and then same goes for a good mood. I've never really looked into, or even considered looking into it.

I can speak on behalf of what I experienced working in mental health agencies. You set up an intake appointment where the intake person will get a general idea of what is going on. for me it usually ran across two sessions. after that an initial diagnosis would be put forth with a treatment plan. within the agency I worked at we have everyone under one roof so I could make referrals to the psychiatrist down the hall if I thought more in depth testing needed to take place for certain disorders. I dont believe I ever diagnosed anyone with bipolar disorder but I know I have done adjustment disorder, depression, anxeity disorders, eating disorders, OCD, and im sure others I cant think of right now because im so tired.

Psychiatrist = meds

Psychologist = expressing your feelings. Thoughts

actually its on a state by state basis on who can diagnose or not. you are right about the meds though. but counselors (at least in the state of Ohio) have the ability to diagnose clients.

When I fall asleep at a "normal" time (10-11pm), I wake up at 4:45 and can't fall back asleep because every bird is freaking out that the sun is coming up and they're trying to figure out where they're gonna go to eat bugs today. This sucks.

Amen, brotha. 

Also my body just naturally wants me to be awake and moving by 6am. Even though I don't get up for work until 7:15-7:30. I've done nothing but run around all weekend and stay up late, yet I was up at 5:30 this morning. 

NO NO NO NO NO.

One, I just one whole food shopper. That's all I want. Just one that knows what a damn celiac panel is.

It's like "oh really you're allergic to gluten huh, that pizza isn't gluten free. Oh you're getting it anyway? Oh ok good I hope you shit yourself today." Snobby bastards. "Is your cannoli gluten free" it's a damn cannoli.

This I can understand.  But it's also not fair to group in these people who are obviously following a "trend" with people who have an honest to God reaction to gluten - even if they aren't a diagnosed Celiac.  I'm an example of that.  As of right now, I'm not a Celiac.  I've never been tested (bloodwork is being drawn next week for the Celiac Panel), but I know for sure that I have a reaction to gluten.  If you look into the depths of this thread you'll see that I talk about having massive cramping and other symptoms that I wasn't sure what was going on.  Then, last year, I was diagnosed hypothyroid.  If you look it up, gluten is listed as the #1 cause of goiters (thyroid lumps which lead to thyroid cancer) in thyroid disease patients.  Soooo Celiac =/= the reaction to gluten that a thyroid patient may experience.  My test might show up as negative because it only tests the physical reaction to the gluten.  My sensitivity might not be strong enough to show up on the test.  But what people don't understand is that there are neurological symptoms that come with gluten intake.  If you research that, you will also find that they are the same neurological symptoms that a thyroid disease patient has.  Do you see what I'm trying to say here?  Gluten issues don't stop at Celiac disease patients.

I think 95% of celiacs became celiacs in 2012 or 2013. I also think 95% of people who claim they are celiacs aren't actually celiacs. I'm not doubting that you are, just the general public.

It is a trend for whatever reason.  I've never met anyone who has been ignoring gluten for anything other than to relieve some sort of medical reaction - whether it be physical or neurological.  Celiac or not.  I don't claim to be a Celiac.  As it stands right now, I am a gluten sensitive because of the reasons I've just explained to Chino.  I'm taking the blood test next week, but whether it comes back positive or negative, I'm going back to eating gluten-free because above all else, I can't risk thyroid cancer.

I am, that's why I used gluten allergies as my example.

Some people actually do have it, but the majority are just intolerant at best lately. Drives me up the wall when people claim allergies without ever seeing a doctor because they're just intolerant (same with 2nd hand marijuana smoke). There is a difference in the two (intolerence vs allergy) that's often seen as the same. I'm with parkinglot on this. If it wasn't a trend, there wouldn't be so many Cases out there that haven't even been determined by a doctor yet but still think their allergic to it.

Once again not saying you are one but know your in the minority of cases when a wide variety of people claim they have it when they really just need to stop eating it in unhealthy ways.

I see what you're saying.  Back when I was trying to figure out why I was feeling so lousy I came across a bunch of articles that explained how gluten allergies do exist, but not in the sense that people think they do.  The small % of people who are allergic have rashes, hives, throat closing up, etc.  Just like any other food allergy.

I know that people not eating gluten has come under fire recently with people claiming that if you're not Celiac, then not eating gluten doesn't do anything for you.  Which is only half true.  If you have no reaction to consuming it, then yeah, there's no reason for you to avoid it.  But if it makes you feel shitty, then perhaps you aren't a full-blown Celiac, but just a gluten sensitive.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic