How are people soooooo bad at interviews? I'm sorry, you go in and just talk.

It's crazy man. Also the older people are KILLING the younger crowd. Dressed right, resumes ready, engaging conversation. CMON man

so i just got schooled by my 5 year old on a joke.

kid: daddy, why is the number 6 scared of the number 7?

me: because hes bigger?!

kid: no, because 7, 8 (ate), 9.

am i the only one that has never heard that!? thought it was awesome. ahhh, cant wait to listen to my richard pryor record with her. around 8ish should be old enough for pryor right?

thats my random post of the day.

LOL you never heard that one? Kudos to your kid

It's crazy people these days don't know how to be somewhat social with others. I have really bad anxiety, so interviews usually set it off, but I can play on it and engage fine. It's not hard, but then again, I'm quite a social person to begin with, so talking comes pretty naturally to me.... except with girls I'm into :(.

I'm not going to lie. I'm a little nervous for teaching position interviews. I don't want to have to go into detail on why Vygotsky is better than Piaget...or why scaffolding works and how I would implement it with my hypothetical science lesson on photosynthesis. It's just too specific. I like to go in to interviews and BS about how good I am at excel or explain that I work well with others.

Green apples are the only apples worth eating.

I can't fathom someone not knowing the 7 ate 9 joke.

and I'm terrible at interviews.  I'm terrible at conversations in general.  I'll have a good answer in my head it's the whole transferring information from my brain to my mouth that I'm terrible at.  At least I'm lucky I've only had to have 2 jobs in my life.  The first my dad came home from work and asked me if I wanted a job where he worked when I was in high school.  Then when I turned 18 I got a job where my brother worked.

I swear the only reason I haven't really looked into getting a new job is the fact that I've only had one real interview in my life.  At my current job I've applied for different jobs a bunch but that is a lot different.  Everyone there knows me already, and for the most part the interviews don't mean anything.  They already know who they want for the promotions.

What the heck is task rabbiting?

and now that i'm out of my meeting, i can answer!

task rabbit is this sort of miscellaneous task/errand service they have in NYC (and some other cities). basically has a network of approved, vetted, background checked people willing to do odd jobs for you that you can hire to do things like....help you haul your record collection to your new apartment, go pick you up an expedit from ikea, build your expedit for you, clean your apartment. fetch your dry cleaning, etc etc.

basically, you can hire random people to do random shit for you. 

unfortunately, they don't accept tots as payment :(

task rabbit is this sort of miscellaneous task/errand service they have in NYC (and some other cities). basically has a network of approved, vetted, background checked people willing to do odd jobs for you that you can hire to do things like....help you haul your record collection to your new apartment, go pick you up an expedit from ikea, build your expedit for you, clean your apartment. fetch your dry cleaning, etc etc.

I would, in fact, accept tots.

Oh man, whenever there's a new iPhone out. People in SF pay top dollar to task rabbiters to wait in the line at the apple store to buy one. They even do it to wait in line for brunches too. 

This place is really going bonkers I think.

I'd totally stand in line for someone. I'm sure it pays better than what I make now.

Oh man, whenever there's a new iPhone out. People in SF pay top dollar to task rabbiters to wait in the line at the apple store to buy one. They even do it to wait in line for brunches too. 

This place is really going bonkers I think.

If you have so much extra money that you can pay people to stand in a place for you, you have a misguided understanding of the things you should use it for. You know, to help improve the world. or just not be pretentious.

Thats very interesting! I've never heard of this. City life is crazy.

& thats bullshit. Tater tots should be acceptable as a legitimate form of payment worldwide.

If you have so much extra money that you can pay people to stand in a place for you, you have a misguided understanding of the things you should use it for. You know, to help improve the world. or just not be pretentious.

One of the biggest problems I have with SF is that these people who have this giant amount of money/pay are just kids who are getting too rich too fast and are living this insane frivolous lifestyle. I really hope we don't have tech bubble 2.0 happen any time soon, but I see it happening soon since the same factors/attitudes that caused the first one in 2001 are rampant today and I'm scared that when it does, everyone will be even more fucked.

One of the biggest problems I have with SF is that these people who have this giant amount of money/pay are just kids who are getting too rich too fast and are living this insane frivolous lifestyle. I really hope we don't have tech bubble 2.0 happen any time soon, but I see it happening soon since the same factors/attitudes that caused the first one in 2001 are rampant today and I'm scared that when it does, everyone will be even more fucked.

I hope we do so I can invest (cheaply) in a small startup and sell when they reach early eBay status. I'm then rich (and not frivolous) and some other schmuck is screwed. :) oh happy days.

I hope we do so I can invest (cheaply) in a small startup and sell when they reach early eBay status. I'm then rich (and not frivolous) and some other schmuck is screwed. :) oh happy days.

haha At this point I'm just happy that I have a job/career that is pretty much bubble burst proof. I know that I'll be ok and probably in a better position than most. I really love this area and would hate to see a mass exodus of people due to a bubble burst like that. But yeah on the plus side it will be good for me so maybe I can move out of here once the ride is over, buy a place out right and maybe even open a cafe or something.

Lol. That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. My buddy and I used to do that whenever we met someone in the army or some contractor who was a tool. "Who are you talking about?" "You that 'Ayyyy!' guy" <does the pointing thumbs up gesture> "OOOOOOOOH. of course that's who you're talking about. "

These are my war stories...

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic