I love it a lot. I've mostly done local stuff but every band I worked for never made it and ended up throwing in the towel. A few people really liked me and saw what I could do on the road, so I was hired for a start-up company last year. Ended up being the worst time of my life, bad planning and a lot of lying on the companies end. So now I'm back at a part-time cafe gig. 

My internship is looking to place me on the road after I graduate college but a lot of things have fallen through. 

I've gotten a little too comfortable at my current job though and I'm definitely scared to risk it for another gig that may not work out. So we'll see what happens, I'm just trying to embrace the unknown which has always been a struggle of mine.

you should be going to launch music conference in lancaster, grrrrrrl.

http://launchmusicconference.com/main/index.html

make some connections!

also, have you ever heard of this company?

http://www.thesyn.com/jobs/

one of my ex's actually did street team stuff for them, and it's legit: http://www.thesyn.com/jobs/

i met a dude who worked for them and was touring with Thursday a bunch of years ago.

and that's the end of my non-story ahaha.

i've kind of fallen into this school of thought, though i don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for me, personality wise. sure, i'd love more time to do my art, but i don't think i'd handle the stress of being my own boss/running my own business/having a fluctuating and at times uncertain income stream very well.

So much this. That is why this flight attendant gig is so good for me. When I have these days on call, I have time to create. When I go on trips, I have time to take photos. Plus I can bring film through security without having it scanned. It's a win win win because I am awful at being my own boss. Learned that the hard way.

I love it a lot. I've mostly done local stuff but every band I worked for never made it and ended up throwing in the towel. A few people really liked me and saw what I could do on the road, so I was hired for a start-up company last year. Ended up being the worst time of my life, bad planning and a lot of lying on the companies end. So now I'm back at a part-time cafe gig. 

My internship is looking to place me on the road after I graduate college but a lot of things have fallen through. 

I've gotten a little too comfortable at my current job though and I'm definitely scared to risk it for another gig that may not work out. So we'll see what happens, I'm just trying to embrace the unknown which has always been a struggle of mine.

Ya. That is tough. My cuz went through a similar thing. Went on the worst tour of his life with a band that ran out of money overseas. So awkward. He is in really good spot now though, with a band that is in stead incline. They are doing really well and we are thinking it is going to stay that way for a good while.

I say take a chance! There will always be another cafe job. But of course use your best judgement. I have no idea why I am even offering advice about this. I am going to shut up now.

would love to move to san jose

or have gina move here

or really have a job here that doesn't suck the life out of me

or cut my pay after 2 years of no raises

or employ two children of the owner who do nothing related to our work

or a guy who is supposed to bring in clients who has brought in 0 in the last year but is still here for some reason

i've kind of fallen into this school of thought, though i don't necessarily think it's a bad thing for me, personality wise. sure, i'd love more time to do my art, but i don't think i'd handle the stress of being my own boss/running my own business/having a fluctuating and at times uncertain income stream very well.

See I have a family to take care of so I have to have their best interests in mind

real talk... the music business is a sunk cost. Do it while you can when you are young, but don't expect anything stable while you are doing it.

Music is almost never a life long career, but it is awesome while it lasts.

Just go for it. My friend recently quit her job to pursue photography and art... You have to promote yourself, but you can make it work. Your photography is fantastic! You totally could do it.

I wish.  I have too many bills to pay.  What I make now barely keeps me afloat.  Plus I need health insurance. =\

does an hour away count?!

Duuuh. This just reminded me I have to do my taxes. Like today.

you should be going to launch music conference in lancaster, grrrrrrl.

http://launchmusicconference.com/main/index.html

make some connections!

also, have you ever heard of this company?

http://www.thesyn.com/jobs/

one of my ex's actually did street team stuff for them, and it's legit: http://www.thesyn.com/jobs/

i met a dude who worked for them and was touring with Thursday a bunch of years ago.

and that's the end of my non-story ahaha.

I went to Launch in 2012! It was a lot of fun, Panic! is going to be there this year...so I'm hoping I can make it out and Brendon Urie will want to be my BFF. 

I actually applied for the Syndicate YEARS ago and didn't get anything, I'm assuming because I was a baby with next to no resume at the time. My friend Kate actually relocated and works in New York with them. I might apply but I don't have a car etc. so getting out to shows when they want me to would be difficult. 

Ya. That is tough. My cuz went through a similar thing. Went on the worst tour of his life with a band that ran out of money overseas. So awkward. He is in really good spot now though, with a band that is in stead incline. They are doing really well and we are thinking it is going to stay that way for a good while.

I say take a chance! There will always be another cafe job. But of course use your best judgement. I have no idea why I am even offering advice about this. I am going to shut up now.

Haha! Basically what happened to us. We had no money to eat and were stranded in hotel rooms between California and Ohio. Then we eventually had a bus and that also ended up being nightmare. Good to hear that your cousin is in a good position! It's definitely possible, just have to get there. 

I'm iffy about it, for a lot of reasons. There will always be another cafe job, but never one that pays this well or has a boss as nice as mine. I really lucked out this time around, leaving definitely terrifies me. I don't know if I see myself with a future with the internship I work at, I love the people behind it but there is just something that has my gut telling me not to get comfortable. 

real talk... the music business is a sunk cost. Do it while you can when you are young, but don't expect anything stable while you are doing it.

Music is almost never a life long career, but it is awesome while it lasts.

You'd be surprised though. Life long? Maybe not. But it's something you can absolutely do past your 50s. You just need to find what you're good at, make connections, and excel. 

I'd rather find my home in a company (clothing/nonprofit/etc) that goes out on the road because you can always end up in an office position if you ever feel the need to settle down. 

fun music-related allison fact: this dude is my grandma's cousin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martell

apparently i've met him at family reunions but i don't remember, haha. my mom does love telling people that her relative went to Mariah Carey's first wedding, though. because "what do you get Mariah as a wedding gift?! seriously?!"

You'd be surprised though. Life long? Maybe not. But it's something you can absolutely do past your 50s. You just need to find what you're good at, make connections, and excel.

Like I said do it now.

Past 35, statistics say you won't be doing it... not from Kutztown.

Move to NYC, LA, Seattle, or another big city, and start doing it.

Like I said do it now.

Past 35, statistics say you won't be doing it... not from Kutztown.

Move to NYC, LA, Seattle, or another big city, and start doing it.

Yeah, I know that I more than likely won't be here. I don't particularly enjoy it here, it's just where I am and I'm working on it. 

I'm just letting life do it's thing right now, as I stated earlier. I can't see myself ending up anywhere but music and I'm not the type to give up on something I've been working toward for so long, but you never know what will be thrown your way. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic