I'm in the Music Business certificate program at UGA, and the director of the program has some serious ties to some really well-known bands. Like, for instance, he's produced every Drive-By Truckers record since 2000 (which is pretty much all of them), and he had them stop by in today's class and we held what was more or less an hour-long Q&A about their experiences with the music industry. I don't even really listen to them, but I thought it was really cool, especially because almost everything the band said was really insightful.

Also, as part of the class, the teacher is assigning every student an internship somewhere around Athens, and he's basing the internships off of our areas of interest from our certificate applications. I put vinyl records on mine, and we get our assignments tomorrow, so we'll see what happens!

That's my "cool story bro" post for today.

he was.

both our faces lit up as we went down the list of bands we love.

this NEVER happens to me!!

shared a mutual hatred for the radio.

That's awesome, man! I never meet people who are deep into the same bands as me, mostly because I'm all over the map, I guess. Usually with any one person there is some overlap, but if you made a Venn diagram it would only be a small sample.

So I'm graduating from Culinary school tomorrow and we had our last day of class today. After class we met up for some champagne and one of the girls in my class said she wanted to toast everyone individually. She began to her left and used flowery language and brought up old stories relating her experiences with everyone as she gave her toasts. I was to her right when she started, so I was last to go. She and I had been tight over the past year, carpooling, and having relatively deep conversations, so I was excited to hear mine. Now, I have had my personal problems since moving to California, some of which have indirectly affected her, but we've discussed that and (I thought) moved past it. She got to me, patted me on the shoulder and said "Fuck you." in front of everyone. It made me feel like a complete piece of shit. I understand that some people don't always get along and I understand when personalities clash, but we had been good friends and I find out over a two word toast that she had been harboring all this animosity toward me all this time. I feel low. It's not a real big deal, but right now I feel pretty low.

Wow dude, sounds like she did the entire toast thing on purpose just to cut you down at the end. That's low, and to do it in front of other people, sounds like she had the whole thing premeditated with the intention of socially embarrassing you. Some people suck man. I don't have many close friends but there are acquaintances who float around, the kind of relationships where you avoid any friction. I find that the best friends are the ones you can argue/disagree with and then very quickly realize you won't change each other's mind, agree to disagree and go right back to being friends. If they can't be civil, fuck 'em.

I would've just shrugged it off and drank to it because nothing pisses people off than letting them see that what effort they are putting in to making you feel like shit isn't working.
Besides, if someone was going to go so low do something like that in the first place then they aren't really a person you'd want hanging around yea?

So I'm graduating from Culinary school tomorrow and we had our last day of class today. After class we met up for some champagne and one of the girls in my class said she wanted to toast everyone individually. She began to her left and used flowery language and brought up old stories relating her experiences with everyone as she gave her toasts. I was to her right when she started, so I was last to go. She and I had been tight over the past year, carpooling, and having relatively deep conversations, so I was excited to hear mine. Now, I have had my personal problems since moving to California, some of which have indirectly affected her, but we've discussed that and (I thought) moved past it. She got to me, patted me on the shoulder and said "Fuck you." in front of everyone. It made me feel like a complete piece of shit. I understand that some people don't always get along and I understand when personalities clash, but we had been good friends and I find out over a two word toast that she had been harboring all this animosity toward me all this time. I feel low. It's not a real big deal, but right now I feel pretty low.

Wow, halfway through reading this I was totally expecting this awesome feel-good experience, but that sucks. I mean, I've had fall-outs with people before, but still never felt like stooping this low. I'd say this tells way more about the person doing it than the person it's aimed at, no matter the circumstances.

I'm in the Music Business certificate program at UGA, and the director of the program has some serious ties to some really well-known bands. Like, for instance, he's produced every Drive-By Truckers record since 2000 (which is pretty much all of them), and he had them stop by in today's class and we held what was more or less an hour-long Q&A about their experiences with the music industry. I don't even really listen to them, but I thought it was really cool, especially because almost everything the band said was really insightful.

Also, as part of the class, the teacher is assigning every student an internship somewhere around Athens, and he's basing the internships off of our areas of interest from our certificate applications. I put vinyl records on mine, and we get our assignments tomorrow, so we'll see what happens!

That's my "cool story bro" post for today.

That sounds pretty cool. Honestly, when I read "music business certificate" my gut reaction was that it was something similar to what community colleges do to take money from people who are told "you have to go to school" even though they might be better off just going into industry. Sounds pretty legit, though.

Just laugh it off. This sounds like high school shit. The kind of stuff that seems important at the time and makes for good bar room conversation a couple years later.

You got a job lined up? I love food network. Just wondering if you are gonna be on chopped anytime soon.

That is cool. English is my first language but I also know French and I took Spanish in college and I did learn a teensy bit of Italian but mostly I can only read and understand, but speaking and writing is tricky. I also know a few terms and phrases in Japanese, but can't read kanji and everyday speech is too fast for me to register. So I'm very interested in languages.

A few more slang terms for law enforcement are:

'pigs' (oink, oink! smells like bacon!)
'cops' or 'coppers' (from the verb 'to cop' referring to search and seizure)
'the po' (just like po-po, only abbreviated, short for 'police')
'the 5-0' (pronouced five-oh, comes from the TV show Hawaii Five-0)
'the fuzz' (not sure where this comes from to be honest)

Now I'll share a little joke:

Two prostitutes standing on a corner, one prostitute says to the other: "So, you ever been picked up by the fuzz?" the other prostitute replied: "No, but I've been swung around by the nipples."

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic