I think I am going to take the rest of the records in my sales thread up to my local store tonight. Too impatient to wait for them to sell, since I need airfare money soon.

that sounds pretty great, how long ago was it? I feel like you can't even see The Black Keys alone for $50 anymore

You used to be able to see them for free at the Art Museum here every week, until about their 3rd or 4th album, whenever they suddenly exploded. It's crazy to think how big they got.

that sounds pretty great, how long ago was it? I feel like you can't even see The Black Keys alone for $50 anymore

2011 I think? I was able to get 4th row, but stage right, and TBK played entirely stage left, so I pretty much just watched them from a screen haha. Also was the only time I've seen Cage the Elephant as they were god awful

You used to be able to see them for free at the Art Museum here every week, until about their 3rd or 4th album, whenever they suddenly exploded. It's crazy to think how big they got.

yeah they really blew up on Brothers, but I think got noticed around Attack & Release. Never seen them live, I like some of their stuff but he is a really mediocre drummer

2011 I think? I was able to get 4th row, but stage right, and TBK played entirely stage left, so I pretty much just watched them from a screen haha. Also was the only time I've seen Cage the Elephant as they were god awful

That's funny you couldn't even watch them with the naked eye from row 4, and agreed Cage The Elephant sucks. When that first album came out, my co-workers played it all the time. I'd say I've heard that album no less than 100 times :/

yeah they really blew up on Brothers, but I think got noticed around Attack & Release. Never seen them live, I like some of their stuff but he is a really mediocre drummer

I've never really been a fan of them. They are not bad, but I just can't get into their sound at all.

I've never really been a fan of them. They are not bad, but I just can't get into their sound at all.

I sold off most of their records, I had like 5 or so a few years back. I keep Rubber Factory cause it's a great album, and I was raised on blues/blues rock so I do enjoy it from time to time.

I sold off most of their records, I had like 5 or so a few years back. I keep Rubber Factory cause it's a great album, and I was raised on blues/blues rock so I do enjoy it from time to time.

That is the only one I sorta enjoy. Fun fact, I'm currently sitting in a building that was built where they recorded that album. They tore it down a few years ago, so GY could build this building I'm sitting in now.

That's funny you couldn't even watch them with the naked eye from row 4, and agreed Cage The Elephant sucks. When that first album came out, my co-workers played it all the time. I'd say I've heard that album no less than 100 times :/

Their backs weren't the most exciting thing to watch haha

SANY0033.jpg

That is the only one I sorta enjoy. Fun fact, I'm currently sitting in a building that was built where they recorded that album. They tore it down a few years ago, so GY could build this building I'm sitting in now.

That's funny! Also sad that a recording studio now houses a corporation :(

Their backs weren't the most exciting thing to watch haha

SANY0033.jpg

Haha that really is a pretty bad angle, at least you got to be there for the live experience

I know you weren't, but I really am full of tons of useless knowledge. I like to learn about as much stuff as I can, and I retain information really easily, so stuff just sticks. Too bad I was too lazy to apply it in school or a career.

Magic Potion is the best album by The Black Keys.  Period.

Saw them twice in their Rubber days, like a yr and a half.  Stood by the tower, front stage, for 1 show.  Scored a drumstick.  Nucking Futz.

Saw them in Louisville for Forecastle 5 yrs later.  Not nearly the same.  

I know you weren't, but I really am full of tons of useless knowledge. I like to learn about as much stuff as I can, and I retain information really easily, so stuff just sticks. Too bad I was too lazy to apply it in school or a career.

I feel this way all the time, if only knowledge of music and other pop culture could get me a good job haha

I dig TBK a good bit, their older stuff is def better, and I agree with SoS, magic potion is a jam

Thickfreakness is still decent for me, every now and then.  Magic Potion was written at the height of the Iraq/Afghan war.  There are a few references to some of these issues on a few songs.  Goodbye Babylon for sure.

Let DangerMouse on an album.  Watch your crowd change.  Nothing against Attack and Release, it's just how it happened.

Completely different style, but this reminds me of the first two Kings of Leon albums.  Those were/still are their best.  Can't stand that shite now.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic