4 hours ago, seangj said:

Sounds like me yesterday. I own a hotel, and a guest shat all over the carpet in their room and didn't tells us. There was a trail of poo from the bed to the bathroom. I spent the day carpet cleaning. I still smell poo

Grosssss. In other news, I almost had my first "frustration cry" at work today. So that was fun.

21 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Grosssss. In other news, I almost had my first "frustration cry" at work today. So that was fun.

Positive vibes dude. Work can drive you to some serious limits and beyond sometimes. You seem really sensible so don't beat yourself up for whatever the issue is and if it's from other's inability to do their job, take time to figure a route around the problem that leaves you less frustrated. No time for extra stress seeing as you work in an industry that requires sensitivity to begin with. 

30 minutes ago, GreatGreenOne77 said:

Positive vibes dude. Work can drive you to some serious limits and beyond sometimes. You seem really sensible so don't beat yourself up for whatever the issue is and if it's from other's inability to do their job, take time to figure a route around the problem that leaves you less frustrated. No time for extra stress seeing as you work in an industry that requires sensitivity to begin with. 

It was just me doing the job of 3 (should be 4 really) funeral directors today, running a service and graveside and getting shit ready for 4 families. Plus on top of an already short week I have meetings all day tomorrow and have to take off Friday so I don't go into overtime because my boss won't let me get any OT. Shit's ridiculous.

Thanks, dude :)

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

10 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Gotta love the no OT bullshit. My company just knocked part time hours from 29.5 to 27. I'm the only full time employee in my department, so there goes 20 hours of coverage. It's now impossible to schedule in such a way that shit can run smoothly.

Meanwhile, they have had my dad working manditory overtime for the past few weeks and paid him 2.5x on Monday to come in. Just hire some more fucking people and it would save you money jfc. Not that I am complaining, that means he is home less.

10 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Gotta love the no OT bullshit. My company just knocked part time hours from 29.5 to 27. I'm the only full time employee in my department, so there goes 20 hours of coverage. It's now impossible to schedule in such a way that shit can run smoothly.

Meanwhile, they have had my dad working manditory overtime for the past few weeks and paid him 2.5x on Monday to come in. Just hire some more fucking people and it would save you money jfc. Not that I am complaining, that means he is home less.

1 hour ago, Holo said:

Not necessarily. It costs more to have another employee than to give others a few hours of overtime. Especially with full time employees. That's 40 more hours a week you have to pay someone plus benefits, training, blah blah blah. It's fucked up and not a good way to do things, especially long term but it's cheaper than hiring more people.

The problem in my department is we need more people but it's a pain in the ass getting them. Most people who apply for the store only want to do like cashier or some dumb shit. Then when we do get people for deli we have to train them, which is a pain in the ass especially since we don't have enough coverage to do it properly. Also, a lot of people flake after a couple months or even weeks. We hired a girl who in her 4 months here called out no less than 2 times a week...the entire time. Then one day she went to the HR manager like "Oh, I can't work for the next two weeks because I'm leaving tomorrow for a family reunion in California" They were pretty much just like "Uhhhh...ok...That's fine because you're fired..."

Another girl (in her mid 20s) quit because working 5 4 hour shifts a week was "too much." She didn't have a second job and she wasn't going to school. She just didn't want to have to actually come to work. That's what sucks about working with primarily 18-24 year olds. For every kid who has a sense of responsibility and a work ethic you get 5 who are just lazy and can't be bothered to give a shit. Christ, even as a lazy stoner when I was 21 I spent a semester going to school full time and working 60+ hour weeks. Granted, it was at a video store working with mostly my friends, but still.

8 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Not necessarily. It costs more to have another employee than to give others a few hours of overtime. Especially with full time employees. That's 40 more hours a week you have to pay someone plus benefits, training, blah blah blah. It's fucked up and not a good way to do things, especially long term but it's cheaper than hiring more people.

The problem in my department is we need more people but it's a pain in the ass getting them. Most people who apply for the store only want to do like cashier or some dumb shit. Then when we do get people for deli we have to train them, which is a pain in the ass especially since we don't have enough coverage to do it properly. Also, a lot of people flake after a couple months or even weeks. We hired a girl who in her 4 months here called out no less than 2 times a week...the entire time. Then one day she went to the HR manager like "Oh, I can't work for the next two weeks because I'm leaving tomorrow for a family reunion in California" They were pretty much just like "Uhhhh...ok...That's fine because you're fired..."

Another girl (in her mid 20s) quit because working 5 4 hour shifts a week was "too much." She didn't have a second job and she wasn't going to school. She just didn't want to have to actually come to work. That's what sucks about working with primarily 18-24 year olds. For every kid who has a sense of responsibility and a work ethic you get 5 who are just lazy and can't be bothered to give a shit. Christ, even as a lazy stoner when I was 21 I spent a semester going to school full time and working 60+ hour weeks. Granted, it was at a video store working with mostly my friends, but still.

I could see in that case, but when they basically said that everyone on his 20ish person team will be working overtime for the foreseeable future, wouldn't it be cheaper to hire another full time guy or two than pay one person time and a half to do that same work?

People are shitty. I was surprised how many people we rolled over when I was working over the summer. Some people worked like two shifts, and I think I was the longest anyone was there all summer. Most of the staff I talked to said they planned on leaving soon too because the boss was usually a total asshole (one thing he did work with you on was your hours/if you needed xxxx day off which was awesome but otherwise he was a dick)

3 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

ITTCT tonight woooooo. Super excited.

I want to go but it's like 40min away downtown on Wednesday. Bleh.

8 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

I could see in that case, but when they basically said that everyone on his 20ish person team will be working overtime for the foreseeable future, wouldn't it be cheaper to hire another full time guy or two than pay one person time and a half to do that same work?

People are shitty. I was surprised how many people we rolled over when I was working over the summer. Some people worked like two shifts, and I think I was the longest anyone was there all summer. Most of the staff I talked to said they planned on leaving soon too because the boss was usually a total asshole (one thing he did work with you on was your hours/if you needed xxxx day off which was awesome but otherwise he was a dick)

3 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

ITTCT tonight woooooo. Super excited.

I want to go but it's like 40min away downtown on Wednesday. Bleh.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic