Ugh so I put off going to the coffee shop because my sister wanted to get lunch. 

SHE SAID NOON.

IT IS  NOW 12:04. I AM STARVING. FEED ME.

She turned on Top Chef and I was like "You know what would be awesome? Eating food instead of watching it." 

She laughed. Then went back to the TV.

no no no.

I woke up in bliss with my cat Snicket on one side of me purring face to face and my little guy passed out with his legs draped across my belly sleeping horizontally. The last thing I remember was him waking me in the middle of the night and crawling into bed wimpering saying "Daddy, snuggle me". 

Then a moment later all was shattered when I realized the sun was fully up and it was 7:30am and that my wife left me with no alarm so I was late as hell. Can't remember the last time I went from serenity to panic in 1 second. 

i got an email from the tax company that handles my local taxes (which i did online last weekend maybe?) saying that i did them wrong and they fixed my refund amount from $5 to $300. now...i'm not complaining, but i'm fairly certain that i am not supposed to be getting $300 back on those, haha.

but what am i supposed to do? call up the professional tax service and be like 'no no, professional tax people! you are wrong! me, a person with an art degree who has no idea how you came up wtih the numbers you did, thinks that i should only be getting $5! for reasons that i can neither understand nor explain!'

Do they offer a guarantee? 

I had a friend who is a professional do my taxes for two years. He made a HUGE error that a couple years later the IRS found and left me owing $1800 to the IRS plus a penalty of $1500. With the help of my US Congressman I got the penalty dropped, paid the $1800 and told my friend I loved him but we were done working together. 

I use H&R Block now since they give a guarantee on their work. That was a stressful time. So, be very very cautious if you think there is an error. You might not have a US Congressman that is kind enough to help you with an IRS matter and trying to get a case worker on the phone is insanity. Avoid the headache in advance if you can. Have them double check their work and put it in writing that they will navigate any dispute with the IRS. 

Do they offer a guarantee? 

I had a friend who is a professional do my taxes for two years. He made a HUGE error that a couple years later the IRS found and left me owing $1800 to the IRS plus a penalty of $1500. With the help of my US Congressman I got the penalty dropped, paid the $1800 and told my friend I loved him but we were done working together. 

I use H&R Block now since they give a guarantee on their work. That was a stressful time. So, be very very cautious if you think there is an error. You might not have a US Congressman that is kind enough to help you with an IRS matter and trying to get a case worker on the phone is insanity. Avoid the headache in advance if you can. Have them double check their work and put it in writing that they will navigate any dispute with the IRS. 

no, no. i worded that awkwardly. it's the actual company/service that handles all the local tax collection for my township. (i filled out the forms on their website, and you submit the returns to them directly.)

a couple years ago, my roommate from college lived in PA for part of the year, and then moved to CT. she took her taxes to H&R Block to be done, and despite they having a guarantee, she got a letter from PA that said she owed them $600 and H&R Block refused to do anything about it for whatever reason, so she was pissed.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic