The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

I sort of agree that the limited variant is fun at retail. I sort of like it in general, getting one is exciting.

I get the other perspective, if you really want to own all the variants. What if they did the first X sold online where variants then mixed after. Think you all would be satisfied?

Yes, that's what Waxwork does and it's great. First couple hundred get variants, and the rest have randomly inserted. 

Random variants are equal parts awesome and frustrating. I really don't mind them.

I really enjoy the thrill of opening a Mondo release, not knowing what might be inside. That said, I've only been happily surprised once. Still, the disappointment doesn't last forever or anything :P

Yeah but your thrill is totally offset by the fact that you're (as well as others) buying 4 to pretty much guarantee a variant.  I can understand some kind of really cheap thrill if you're buying just one, but people's frustrations over trying for 1 copy and not getting a variant have led them to buy multiple copies.

I sort of agree that the limited variant is fun at retail. I sort of like it in general, getting one is exciting.

I get the other perspective, if you really want to own all the variants. What if they did the first X sold online where variants then mixed after. Think you all would be satisfied?

I think that would be just fine, in fact that would be the best solution to this silly game that is played.  My only problem with the random variants is that nobody is given any kind of choice if all they want is the variant to begin with.  It's pretty sad and pathetic that people must buy 3-4 copies of the same damn album just so they can get what they want.  If you start things off with the first X number of people get a Ltd. Variant, those people who really really want a Ltd. Variant are given full control of their fate in receiving what they're looking for.

Definitely would have been really cool!

I mean it's so obvious, it's kind of like a "duh" moment.  Who knows though, maybe they had pressing plant delays or something and they originally tried to get these out on 10/31.  Still, I would have had this release ready to go in July and held onto it for a 10/31 release date.