Steubenville, Ohio High School gang rape cover up

apparently I wrote too much and my message became unclear, so here's a shorter version in bold, for emphasis:

horrible people do horrible things, but doing a horrible thing doesn't necessarily make you a horrible person.  replace "horrible people" with "rapists" and so on, and you'll get my point.

just because I don't consider these guys to be rapists doesn't mean what they did is any less bad, nor does it imply that the blame isn't squarely on them (as opposed to partially blaming the girl.  I suppose technically I'd place some blame on society as a whole, but that's overthinking things).  and if I find out that either of these guys has a history of rape, I'll be sure to bump this thread, retract that statement, and declare them a "person who commits rape" (note that it says "commits", suggesting multiple times, and not "committed", once in the past).

and as for the alcohol part, yes, it's a catalyst, but I'm not sure what the motivations here were (particularly the activities that took place at the house when the girl was passed out).  were they sexual or more to degrade/humiliate?  I don't know about you, but I've never thought after sex "damn, that sex was great.  now if only I could pee on her...", while humiliating the person who just passed out at a party seems pretty standard (and in this case, taken to a criminal level).  either way, it's wrong.  no argument there

edit: one more thing and then I'll shut up.  the news reports about these guys having good grades and promising futures and whatnot make an already sad story (a girl being raped) worse.  it's easy/convenient/comfortable to think that evil things (e.g., rape) are only done by evil people (e.g., "rapists"), but when you allow yourself to realize that "good kids" can do horrible things, that's when shit gets real.  it's uncomfortable, and that's why I'm glad the news reported it.  I'm not saying these guys are/were "good kids", but still

i don't understand why you don't consider them rapists. they. raped. a. girl. that makes you a rapist, whether you're a high school kid with good grades and no priors, or some vagrant who serially kidnaps and rapes people, then chops them up and puts their eyeballs in jars.

For those who apparently live under a rock or just didn't pay attention...

What's the cliffnotes of this story?

i don't think i'm clear enough on the story to provide this. but it reminded me that a new youtube series is happening through reddit where things like the syria crisis is explained so 5 year olds can understand it.

i don't know about anyone else, but i'm super excited about it.

i don't think i'm clear enough on the story to provide this. but it reminded me that a new youtube series is happening through reddit where things like the syria crisis is explained so 5 year olds can understand it.

i don't know about anyone else, but i'm super excited about it.

if you want to learn about syria id suggest this:

http://www.vice.com/read/the-vice-guide-to-syria-0000456-v19n11

also, there is no ambiguity here; what happened was rape, and mays and richmond are rapists. they are also horrible people.

apparently I wrote too much and my message became unclear, so here's a shorter version in bold, for emphasis:

horrible people do horrible things, but doing a horrible thing doesn't necessarily make you a horrible person.  replace "horrible people" with "rapists" and so on, and you'll get my point.

just because I don't consider these guys to be rapists doesn't mean what they did is any less bad, nor does it imply that the blame isn't squarely on them (as opposed to partially blaming the girl.  I suppose technically I'd place some blame on society as a whole, but that's overthinking things).  and if I find out that either of these guys has a history of rape, I'll be sure to bump this thread, retract that statement, and declare them a "person who commits rape" (note that it says "commits", suggesting multiple times, and not "committed", once in the past).

and as for the alcohol part, yes, it's a catalyst, but I'm not sure what the motivations here were (particularly the activities that took place at the house when the girl was passed out).  were they sexual or more to degrade/humiliate?  I don't know about you, but I've never thought after sex "damn, that sex was great.  now if only I could pee on her...", while humiliating the person who just passed out at a party seems pretty standard (and in this case, taken to a criminal level).  either way, it's wrong.  no argument there

edit: one more thing and then I'll shut up.  the news reports about these guys having good grades and promising futures and whatnot make an already sad story (a girl being raped) worse.  it's easy/convenient/comfortable to think that evil things (e.g., rape) are only done by evil people (e.g., "rapists"), but when you allow yourself to realize that "good kids" can do horrible things, that's when shit gets real.  it's uncomfortable, and that's why I'm glad the news reported it.  I'm not saying these guys are/were "good kids", but still

I don't understand this... if she said "no," it's rape. If she COULDN'T say "no," it's rape, if she didn't say anything, it's rape. Therefore, they were rapists before the conviction, but it's even more black and white now, as they're convicted rapists. Also, regardless if a person commits it once or 1000 times, they are a rapist after the first time.

rapists do horrible things, but doing a horrible thing doesn't necessarily make you a rapist

replace "horrible people" with "rapists" and so on, and you'll get my point.

now replace horrible thing with "rape"

rapists rape, but doing a rape doesn't make you a rapist.

yes it does.

maybe it's because i ignored steubenville early on out of sickness, but the torrington story reads so much more realistically. i can so easily picture this awful behavior from a bunch of high schoolers, because they're all despicable teenage assholes. of course they act this way.

the block quote at the end is perfect.