anyone ever received a mis-cut record?

i bought a record today and the outer edge isn't trimmed down enough for it to fit on my turntable. anyone else ever have this problem?? i can see the difference in thickness where the record should've been cut and where the excess is but it's slightly too large to lay flat on my turntable cause it leans up against the side of my player. is there any way to like file this down without messing up the rest of the record or am i just screwed?? any help would be awesome.

I've had this problem twice (assuming I understand what you're saying). The first time I tried carefully using a razor knife. That didn't go so well. I slipped and gouged the fuck out of the first track. The next time I used sandpaper which worked much much better. It took a while but I eventually got it trimmed down to where it didn't knock the arm base assembly when I spun it. That method requires being careful about making sure the sanded bits don't get into the grooves when they come off. Gravity must be your friend in that situation. I would've much rather returned both but they were limited variants that were already sold out by the time I got them.

Not the same thing, but along the lines of unplayable records:

2010_1016AN.jpg

It ended up ok though, I sent this photo to No Idea and they sent me a new copy right away.

Imagine if someone made a picture disc like this, but didn't tell anyone it was going to be a picture disc.

I've had this problem twice (assuming I understand what you're saying). The first time I tried carefully using a razor knife. That didn't go so well. I slipped and gouged the fuck out of the first track. The next time I used sandpaper which worked much much better. It took a while but I eventually got it trimmed down to where it didn't knock the arm base assembly when I spun it. That method requires being careful about making sure the sanded bits don't get into the grooves when they come off. Gravity must be your friend in that situation. I would've much rather returned both but they were limited variants that were already sold out by the time I got them.

thanks for the tip. i really don't wanna go through the hassle of sending it back and waiting for a new copy so i might attempt it. it's a really slight mis-cut so i feel like i may be able to sand it down enough.