Limit new user capabilities?

Poll: Limit new user capabilities?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think would have the most positive impact on this community?

• Restricting new users to join by "invite only"
    • Restricting new users' ability to start threads with a waiting period
    • Keep on keepin' on
    • Let's all just have a gentlemen's agreement to cut it out

hell fuck no.

I didn't read the entire thread because I hate this idea too much and had to reply.  I think the invite idea not only boasts an elitist attitude but really isn't even logical.  I didn't know anyone on this board when I joined and thus would never have received an invite.  Go to VLV for that shit.

Which brings me to my next point that we were all new once, we shouldn't be fearing new members but embracing them.  Yes the annoying ones can stand out, but all the new members who bring good things to the board probably go unnoticed as "new members".  I mean it's easy to see a post that is irritating, look at the member and say "great another newb comment", but how often do you read a normal or helpful post and say "damn that user must be a veteran".  Not to mention there are plenty of annoying members who have been here quite a while.

I didn't see the thread that contained the spawn of this debate, and Ry Bread I'm sure you brought this up with the best intentions, but I truly feel it will cause much more harm than good.

Also, if we limit new members actions to a post count or something all we'll see is an influx of worthless posts while trying to build your post count.

Sorry if these points have already been brought up or any decisions made, but I just had to speak out.

you spoke out about literally everything that we've already covered, and even found easy solutions for. you just set an example of exactly what we are trying to prevent. 

you were too amped up to go ballistic, that you didn't bother to read anything. anything at all.

You really should have read the thread before writing a response that long. Most of what you said has already been mentioned. The only thing that seems to have any backing is not having the ability to create threads until you post a little bit and some suggestions on how to reorganize the board to prevent the same threads from getting repeatedly created.

Except everything he said hadnt been broached with his thoroughness. Yes someone said that with a post count they will post stupid shit. he also made good points as to why we shouldnt do it I.E. Elitism, no one really came here because of someone else on here but stumbled upon it, you wont recognize the person as a newb if they make a good comment, and most importantly, plenty of long time members here are complete asswads.

that's why it would be smart to set a period of time that would define someone as new. like i said, first 3-4 weeks as a member, every post would require approval.

it has nothing to do with elitism.

**edit: not every post. a new member trying to start a new thread would require approval before being posted

1) it would be a huge pain in the ass for the mods. Weed through every new post?

2) trying to buy and sell would be a huge pain. How many times have we made great buys from newbs who didnt know what something was worth?

3) It is never going to happen to begin with, we cant even get SRC to fix a fucking quote issue, you really think they are going to do any extra work that you propose here? No fucking way would they.

1) it would be a huge pain in the ass for the mods. Weed through every new post?

2) trying to buy and sell would be a huge pain. How many times have we made great buys from newbs who didnt know what something was worth?

3) It is never going to happen to begin with, we cant even get SRC to fix a fucking quote issue, you really think they are going to do any extra work that you propose here? No fucking way would they.

again, i said that if they were willing to appoint me as a mod, i would be willing to take this on. how many brand new members do you really think post on a daily basis?

am i really not being clear enough with all this the first time i say it?

ok. i'm going to spell this out.

every person who joins the forum is subject to moderation in their first month here.

they can post all they want in the forum.

if they want to START a thread, it will require approval from a mod.

if their post is stupid, useless, repetetive, it will get rejected, and they will be pointed to faq

if their post is legit, great.

THAT IS ALL. IT'S SO SIMPLE. 

Ok, just read the rest of the thread.  Again, sorry for not doing that first as I normally wouldn't do that, but had to speak what was on my mind.

As far as making the same points, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who shares my opinions.  And if I had read them first I still would have commented if only to reiterate that I am in agreement and to imply those sentiments even further.

and RyBread hopefully they do make you or someone with initiative like you a mod so we can see some positive changes.  I'm sure we're all in agreement we could use them.  But until that happens I gotta agree with selfreliable that we're not going to see shit change around here.

hey, i acknowledged that in the first two posts of the thread. 

i know we all bitch about the quotes, and more jokingly about the avatar, but at least here we have a poll showing 65% approval so far. backing something that is in place to benefit everyone.

Now, honest question - what defines "stupid, useless, repetetive" given the unique context of each individual example? Also, would this apply to more than new folks, since long time folks have the potential to ask stuff that's equally as irrelevant if being weighed on the same spectrum.

i don't have an answer for that. it's a case by case thing, ya know? 

suppose i make the wrong call and approve something that i'm on the fence with. at least i'd know to keep an eye on it in case it got out of hand.

if it's not obvious i'm open to any suggestions people have for this whole thing.

Make a fucking FAQ board and have new members acknowledge that they will refer to it prior to starting a thread during registration by clicking a circle dot agreement bullshit clickly thing.

I don't know. Dammit. We're not some exclusive club and we're not gentlemen or ladies, especially to the new kids in class.

Force everyone to use their real names and photos of themselves. Internet solved!

Make a fucking FAQ board and have new members acknowledge that they will refer to it prior to starting a thread during registration by clicking a circle dot agreement bullshit clickly thing.

I don't know. Dammit. We're not some exclusive club and we're not gentlemen or ladies, especially to the new kids in class.

Force everyone to use their real names and photos of themselves. Internet solved!

ooh, doesn't the Riverdales message board make you post in the "introduce yourself" thread before you can post elsewhere?  we could make people post in the FAQ thread before they're allowed to do anything.  then they wouldn't have an excuse for not knowing that it exists

I dont understand why anyone would be amped up one way or another. Its just a (relevant) topic of discussion one way or another. I dont think an easily attainable post count to post new threads is unreasonable at all, especially considering there have been people who have gotten ripped off on the FS thread as either a buyer or seller. Pretty sure there are other message boards where this is a similar requirement. If a troll is willing to meet that criteria just to be a troll they will be easy to identify and ban. Its not a crime at all to be a new member, but it could only do good.

Yes there are some people with high post counts who annoy other people and/or troll. That is why there are warning points.

ooh, doesn't the Riverdales message board make you post in the "introduce yourself" thread before you can post elsewhere?  we could make people post in the FAQ thread before they're allowed to do anything.  then they wouldn't have an excuse for not knowing that it exists

That is the worst board to compare anything to. It's basically a big joke. Everyone who participates either gets 5k posts kissing Ben's ass or get's banned before they get to 100.

I think it's a Screeching Weasel board now. Whatever band isn't fed up with him at the moment I think.