Limit new user capabilities?

Poll: Limit new user capabilities?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think would have the most positive impact on this community?

• Restricting new users to join by "invite only"
    • Restricting new users' ability to start threads with a waiting period
    • Keep on keepin' on
    • Let's all just have a gentlemen's agreement to cut it out

source: this is what happens on absolutepunk. i see

hi

great

hello!

i love lamp

etc

and then they make their stupid thread about whatever

WE IMPLEMENT THE GENTLEMEN'S HANDSHAKE!

as a means of appreciating the admins for fulfilling our request, we all agree to simply ignore that behavior. deal?? lol

I just don't know why the forum doesn't have a better taxonomy. The original 3 threads (main, for sale, everything else) worked great when there wasn't as many people. Can't even keep a for sale thread on the front page for two hours sometimes. Split it up into FS, FT, wanted, Ebay. FS will still dominate, but it is better.

For the main thread, there has to be something that works better. New releases, represses and older records, labels (there might be some repetition between new releases and labels but no big deal. Ideally you would have a Fat Wreck thread for discussing anything about the label including upcoming releases, then when a PO goes live, it get's a thread in New Releases).

I'm not saying what I proposed is perfect but I can barely keep track of the main thread and FS thread anymore. Has to be something better. Only thing I am not positive on is what to do with the current posts. No way you could categorize them. You could create a category of "uncategorized, older posts" to dump them in and then push the new system.

I think a required post count of 100 or 50 posts, maybe 75 if 100 is too high or 50 is too low, to start a thread would be a good idea. 20 is too low, I think, because its easy to make 20 one-word posts in random places, but making 100 of them requires more time, and the people who just want to be stupid might not take the time. By 100 posts, we can all figure out if they're gonna be decent human beings or not. Haha.

As far as separating the forums out like the person above me said, I think it would take up far too much room, and you'd have people posting in multiple boards, all that fun stuff. Making a regional board might be fun. Or a board for tours.

Last time I remembered, most of us lived in AMERICA WHERE WE ARE FREE TO DO WHATEVER WE DAMN WELL PLEASE. 

And what I mean by that is restricting anyone is dumb.

Although I love the idea of a nice, tight-knit community, new members breath life into this place. I think Ry and Yocaseycasey came around the same time a year ago and look at 'em go. Plus, there are people here with post counts higher than mine who annoy me so not everybody annoying will be gone.

But, here's an idea though: maybe new users have to 20 or 50 or even 100 post-count to sell or buy in that subform. You have to hang around, post, and become a part of the community before you can sell your wares. This would help eliminate scammers because you have to put some time into being able to sell/buy thus investing in our community.

The Main thread is harder to split up because 80% of the threads serve the same purpose -- "PO: New Record". Split up by genre is impossible. I know something can be found that makes sense. Minimum, that should be split in two -- "New Sales and Preorders" and "Everything Else Vinyl".

Splitting up "for sale" makes a ton of sense I think, regardless of what happens to the main one.

You guys think the issue here is with people that have under 100 posts???  I cant be the only one that thinks the issue here is with a handful of guys that have well over 1000 posts that do annoying shit, change the topic of threads completely, bitch about everything, think they are better than everyone else and make this place a complete clusterfuck.

here are my ideas to ~improving things:

- FAQ Thread on the Vinyl Message Board: when someone asks a question that is commonly asked, point them to that thread and lock the thread they started.  if someone asks a question that seems ~common but isn't listed in that thread, add it to the original post in the FAQ thread.  each "FAQ" in the thread can either have a simple answer (e.g., "What type of sleeves do people put their records in?" can have a link to BagsUnlimited.com or something, "How much is this worth?" can have a link to ebay, popsike, and discogs), while more subjective questions can link to a thread dedicated to that.

- remove comments that are clearly not adding to a thread.  I know that that's vague, but on the blu-ray.com forums, if people start saying shit like "quentin tarantino sucks blah blah blah" in the middle of the inglourious basterds thread just for the sake of pissing people off, a mod will usually intervene and start deleting posts (and maybe take away people's ability to post).  not only is it annoying to the people who are actually interested in the thread, but everyone else has to see that thread bumped over and over for no real reason.  obviously, threads like the Blink 182 TOYPAJ thread should be allowed to spiral on and on forever, but I think it's pretty easy to distinguish between people saying shit just to do it and people who are making light of a bad/dumb/stupid situation

as for the actual question posed in this thread, I support a "waiting period" idea for starting threads (though I'd base it on days rather than posts), and I think the FAQ thread should help fix that since most of the new threads would probably be covered there.  my second point would probably just make this a more inviting environment, though we'd need to have more mods roaming around (which we're in the process of doing, right?)

i forgot an important detail that was mentioned earlier today.

i was proposing that new members can still post new topics, but it would have to be approved by a mod. this would probably work best with a member's first three or four weeks.

i forgot an important detail that was mentioned earlier today.

i was proposing that new members can still post new topics, but it would have to be approved by a mod. this would probably work best with a member's first three or four weeks.

if a topic isn't approved, would the new member get an alert saying why?  letting other users (or a mod) answer a question and then having a mod lock ~bad topics seems more straightforward, though I'm obviously not familiar with everything that mods can and cannot do

if a topic isn't approved, would the new member get an alert saying why?  letting other users (or a mod) answer a question and then having a mod lock ~bad topics seems more straightforward, though I'm obviously not familiar with everything that mods can and cannot do

yeah, it would be the mod's responsibility to tell that jabroni to hit the faq

i'll start the FAQ with this:

Q: where can i...

A: stop. before you go posting, take SIX minutes to search for the answer. use the forum's search bar, use google. the internet knows a lot, so you might as well ask jeeves first.