Big Bang Theory is the WORST

and for whatever reason, I really like south park but I get absolutely nothing out of family guy.

these shows are not comparable at all, really. south park is incredibly timely while family guy, well, isn't. and i think family guy relies heavily on their "this is worse than the time that..." gimmick or whatever the fuck they do where they can cut away and do something random. it's like seth mcfarlane writes a bunch of one-offs and instead of incorporating them into a plot or something incredibly complex and beautiful (beautiful?) like arrested development, he shamelessly piggybacks on the gimmick. it was great at the first, but 10 years later... really?

south park operates on an entirely different level. characters actually learn something, and the topics matt and trey tackle can be very touchy but are handled masterfully.

also, the big bang theory is the biggest piece of shit in the world. unoriginal character archetypes, unoriginal plot, boring script, the worst fucking jokes.

Community is going to be arrested development in a few years. Everyone is going to pretend they actually watched it when it was on. It's an actual story with characters that grow on you, some of it classic sitcom, some of it wacky meta humor. 

It's my favorite show on tv, what other show could get away with an episode entirely in 16-bit in prime time? or an episode devoted to mocking PBS specials?

Long live greendale!

Big Bang Theory is Nerd Blackface, for years every nerdy thing i do will be related back to a BBT episode. fuck Chuck Lorre. 

I enjoyed South Park up until around season seven when Cartman became more ridiculous, Butters started becoming a regular character and also became more ridiculous and they started trying too hard to parody recent news stories. I get running out of ideas and doing what they are doing but they have no shame. I watched that 6 Days To Air thing and was blown away by the fact that they actually found themselves funny. As long as they are enjoying themselves it's cool, I guess. I just didn't find the Human Centipede spoof to be all that original/funny.

Oh, I'm about to start Community in a few. Streaming it on some website and letting it load right now. I already know I will like it more than Big Bang Theory. The only show I can deal with that has pseudo-intellectual people is Frasier, and that is because the pretentious douche thing is intentional.

I actually get told a lot I should watch Big Bang Theory. I do intend to eventually give it an honest chance, but that alone kind of makes me not that interested.

Without knowing what that show is really about, I'm guessing it's full nerds based on various archetypes, speaking in cloyingly clever nerdspeak about typical nerd shit. Which is fine; I'm guessing my own forays into nerd-dom are why people think I should watch it.

Never seen Community. I should.

I like Big Bang Theory. It does have plenty of funny of moments for me. I do see how some people can hate it though. My father hates it because he doesn't get the nerd humor at times.

And speaking of nerds. Did anyone else catch the first episode of King of the Nerds on TBS? It was all kinds of ridiculous and slightly insulting at how they overly perpetuate the nerd stereotype. To the point where I felt I was watching a bunch of hipsters. Yeah, that bad. There is one dude who is a gamer (of course) but only only plays vintage video games. Hipster nerds! They exist!

This is one of the most wandering threads i've read.

Big bang has been consistently funny since it began and is a great show. Best episode was the one in season 2 where wallowitz effs up the space toilet. It's awesome to have a show that myself and my mom both like (even if she misses a few of the jokes), and that's why it kills the ratings.

oh boy, i am late to this party. 

calling big bang theory nerd blackface could not be more accurate.

and the biggest thing that community has over almost every show on television (p&r not included) is purpose, heart, and vision.

Big Bang Theory is like how most other television sitcoms. Funny the first few seasons when some people watched, and was written around a laugh track. Take the laugh track out of a lot of shows and you get the same feeling. BBT still has its moments but the storyline has worn thin, and now churns out new episodes for the sake of popularity. Shows generally are at their best the first 3 seasons and some carry the momentum for a little while longer. If the Simpsons could be unwatchable for the past 10+ seasons but still on the air the BBT will be on for your viewing pleasure for the same reason. Ratings. I don't watch both much anymore.

I think Simpsons is very close to the end. I believe I read somewhere that they were really having trouble resigning the voice actors.

What's thin about the Big Bang storyline? The characters don't evolve. That's not really the point. It's not a deep show. They don't recycle jokes. The fact that they use a laugh track doesn't mean that the jokes themselves aren't funny.

I can understand if people just don't like sitcoms. They aren't deep. But I think BBT is without a doubt, the best sitcom on TV.

Wow that is tense without the laugh track.

This. It's funny because the reason I thought I didn't like it was because of the laugh track. But without they just seem like a bunch of jerks...

Either way, Parks and Rec is awesome. I never got into Community, but have thought about it because I loved watching Derrick's Comedy back in the day. They really got popular after Mystery Team I guess.

I don't think it is fair to judge a show that was shot intending for a laugh track to be added and then take it away. It's like taking the music out of a music video and trying to judge it as a film.

They wouldn't be pausing after every line they say. That is where the uncomfortableness comes from.

I think Simpsons is very close to the end. I believe I read somewhere that they were really having trouble resigning the voice actors.

What's thin about the Big Bang storyline? The characters don't evolve. That's not really the point. It's not a deep show. They don't recycle jokes. The fact that they use a laugh track doesn't mean that the jokes themselves aren't funny.

I can understand if people just don't like sitcoms. They aren't deep. But I think BBT is without a doubt, the best sitcom on TV.

Why do people expect so little out of TV and Movies? You said: It's not deep, but it's the best sitcom on TV? That's a horribly low bar to set for yourself. The show's idea of nerds seem straight out of the 80's...Penny is also a sloppily written character, as is Leonard the shows other main character. 

As a Jewish person I find the Wolowitz character tired and recycled. "Oh, his mother is overbearing and yells" how goddamn original. 

To those that like this show in its current state...why? is it that the characters are familiar at this point so your stuck? I watched the first season too...it was fine...now I'm just offended by its popularity. 

I don't think it is fair to judge a show that was shot intending for a laugh track to be added and then take it away. It's like taking the music out of a music video and trying to judge it as a film.

It's a crutch for modern shows IMO. I like HIMYM but wish i didn't have the laugh track. 

This. It's funny because the reason I thought I didn't like it was because of the laugh track. But without they just seem like a bunch of jerks...

Either way, Parks and Rec is awesome. I never got into Community, but have thought about it because I loved watching Derrick's Comedy back in the day. They really got popular after Mystery Team I guess.

If you watch seinfeld without the laugh track it's still goddamn hilarious. 

They wouldn't be pausing after every line they say. That is where the uncomfortableness comes from.

That's definitely true. I think I'm biased toward it though because everyone always tells me I look like Howard haha. I do appreciate that he went into space and work's for NASA though! I am a physics major  ;)

Why do people expect so little out of TV and Movies? You said: It's not deep, but it's the best sitcom on TV? That's a horribly low bar to set for yourself. The show's idea of nerds seem straight out of the 80's...Penny is also a sloppily written character, as is Leonard the shows other main character. 

As a Jewish person I find the Wolowitz character tired and recycled. "Oh, his mother is overbearing and yells" how goddamn original. 

To those that like this show in its current state...why? is it that the characters are familiar at this point so your stuck? I watched the first season too...it was fine...now I'm just offended by its popularity. 

It doesn't have to be deep to be good. I love the Godfather. I also love Billy Madison. Billy Madison sure as hell isn't deep. But it's a comedy and it is funny as hell.

And they have done a great job of slightly adjusting the characters to make them not get old -- Penny acts smarter, Leonard acts cooler, Walowitz is less creepy. Raj is definitely seeming more depressed, which isn't great but I think it's a set up for something that is gonna happen later this season. And Sheldon has become less like an alien through Amy.

If you are asking generally "what makes this show great?" -- Clever puns based on topics that I find interesting (video games, comics, science). I don't roll on the floor laughing at it but it consistently makes me laugh a couple times every week and in an 18 minutes of video after commercials, I'm not sure what more I should expect.