What's your latest purchase?

I had a pair and hated them honestly.   They only sounded good with classic rock, but were horrid to everything else.  Just my two cents.

Like I said Marmite speakers. From what I have heard how the room is set out, how the controls on the back are set and what drives them is very very important and the comment about only sounding good with classic rock is very common.

because of the ribbons being used as super tweeters it's easy to make them sound bright and getting the mids correct is the biggest problem, I've never heard CD through a pair but I expect its very easy to make them sound horrid with CD

I've bought all sorts of things since I last posted any pictures so I thought I had better take some of my most recent purchase.

These are L.A.D. (London Acoustical Developments) direct drive DJ turntables and were a very good (I would say way better) alternative to the SL1200/1210 at the time.

They were made in Wembley, London, England in the mid to late 80's and now are sadly very rare because of the use of very nice Jelco arms, people used to buy them just for the arms and throw the rest away without actually trying them.

I've been looking for a pair for years and these came via ebay from the BBC in Bristol and do need a lot of work, both run but I started on the worst one first as the arm was in bits, so I have rebuilt the arm, added a new RCA cable, serviced the electronics and polished the platter, next is to clean up the plinth, rewire and repaint the arm and then start on the other one.

When I was much much younger I used to DJ in a club that had a pair of slightly later ones, basically the same but had sliders for the pitch and the arms were chrome/silver. These two I think are pretty early versions.

lads_zps7a9f0508.jpg

lads1_zps1500cc59.jpg

lads2_zpsceadd154.jpg

Love these...wish i could find some on my side of the atlantic. 

I don't know if a slight muddying of the high and as a result of my receiver or the speakers. Receiver is pioneer sx980

I have an Sx-980 and I can tell you that it certainly doesnt muddy much of anything.  I've found that there's a grainy-ness to the HPM tweets, almost that of a digital nature.  I certainly have none of that with my SX-980/Boston Acoustics combo

The tangospinner sub platter came in a few days ago. SUPER easy to change out the old and in with the new. The bearing sizes were very different, with the new one being about 1/3rd smaller. 

Soundwise, everything sounds more present. And you can here the differences between each instrument better. I'm guessing the old plastic one allowed a bit too much rumble through muddying it all up.

The speed is also spot on. Sitting at a constant 33.7. Which for an almost 40 year old piece is about as good as i'd ever hoped for.

Well worth the $100

I have an Sx-980 and I can tell you that it certainly doesnt muddy much of anything.  I've found that there's a grainy-ness to the HPM tweets, almost that of a digital nature.  I certainly have none of that with my SX-980/Boston Acoustics combo

I'm beyond pleased with this new setup. I'm spinning wax with volume and clarity that'd make a kid with an iPod weep, not to mention when I run lossless through it. So happy to the point of selling my phono pre-amp. As for any muddyness I mentioned I'm not sure what I'm hearing and don't remember what I was referring to. My stylus is fairly new so I'll let it warm up.

Man, this Audio Desk vinyl cleaner is a world apart from any cleaning method I've seen or used before.  I have a Hank Mobley Soul Station 45rpm record I love to death.  On the first side, first song towards the end there was a series of 6 prominent clicks.  I have cleaned it numerous times trying to get rid of them and all the different solutions (walker, record time, VPI solution, L'art Du Son), none of them could really do anything about it.  This record was as clean as it was EVER going to get with the vacuum cleaning VPI 16.5.

I just ran it through the Audio Desk for 2 cycles (Can go up to 5).  Not only did the record get a sonic upgrade overall, the 6 PROMINENT clicks turned into 4 subdued clicks exactly.  This shit works like a dream!  Now I am going to simply run it for a full 5 cycle blast and do the best I can ever do for this record...hopefully the 4 clicks become better or better yet, GONE.  

IN SHORT:  I LOVE THIS damn machine!

I'm beyond pleased with this new setup. I'm spinning wax with volume and clarity that'd make a kid with an iPod weep, not to mention when I run lossless through it. So happy to the point of selling my phono pre-amp. As for any muddyness I mentioned I'm not sure what I'm hearing and don't remember what I was referring to. My stylus is fairly new so I'll let it warm up.

This is why I've told you and others to avoid using powered monitors as your amplification and speakers.  They're good at neither.

After over a year of scouring thrift shops, I found this beauty today. I've been searching for a vintage kenwood or pioneer receiver like this for a while. Only problem is it has a European plug so I honestly haven't a clue if it works or not. For $10 US, I figured it was definitely worth the risk. Just waiting on my plug converter and DeOxit spray from Amazon. Other than the deoxit, can anyone give advice on what else might need to cleaned and how?

kenwood.jpg

If it's a Euro plug, it probably runs at 220v.  There might be a switch to knock it down to 110/115/120.  If there isn't and it says 220 above the power cable, hopefully you have an electric dryer.  If it says 110/150/120, you can get that thing working for $5 and a quick trip to Home Depot.

This is why I've told you and others to avoid using powered monitors as your amplification and speakers.  They're good at neither.

Totally understand. It's just difficult for so many people starting out that like allen said, they just grab convenience first. I didn't know I was gonna be getting this setup from my family friend, and I had saved money and wanted a setup then and there. I'm giving the powered speakers to my father for use with his HDTV. I've said it before, but this time I mean it when I say I see nothing making me upgrade my setup for a very long time... except an acrylic platter... and a new stylus OH GOD IT'S STARTING AGAIN.

If it's a Euro plug, it probably runs at 220v. There might be a switch to knock it down to 110/115/120. If there isn't and it says 220 above the power cable, hopefully you have an electric dryer. If it says 110/150/120, you can get that thing working for $5 and a quick trip to Home Depot.

Martin, on the back it's already locked into the120 volt setting so I'm assuming the adapter is all I would need correct?

Martin, on the back it's already locked into the120 volt setting so I'm assuming the adapter is all I would need correct?

Well, that's good news.  If I were you, I'd just cut off the plug and replace it when a US replacement plug that can be bought at most any hardware store for a few bucks.  They screw in, so no soldering needed, just some wire stripping. 

Ok so I finally found an adapter for the plug, plug it in and all the lights sparkle like a Christmas tree. Stoked! Unfortunately there's only crackling from one speaker, and nothing but dead silence from the other speaker where there should be music. So now i try my first stereo cleaning ever and hope I don't make it worse.

I took it all apart, gave it a good canned air dusting and cleaned all the pots and connectors with a deoxit type cleaner and try again. Perfection! Honestly it sounds just as good if not better than my Marantz PM6004. I only need to find an extra knob for the bass and i'm good to go.

photo3-3.jpg