What's your latest purchase?

Picked up the Revolver Rebel Turntable. Going to need to get a cover made though as the little one has already tried to get her hands on it.

There was a cover available for the original Rebel but you don't see them very often.

Is yours a late production Revolver or an original one, the picture looks like a late production one?

I haven't bought a Rebel for years but they were always keenly priced 2nd hand so you might get a trashed one with a good cover or one someone has taken the arm off cheaply

I've never heard the more modern version and going on the high end version the Replay and the speakers they produce would expect it to be an improvement over the original and would be very interested to hear what improvements they made and what they are like compared to the original and the competition now.

I was never a fan of the sound of original Rebel I'm afraid. I have had plenty of originals over the years and tried all sorts of modifications on them without success, sadly their 2nd hand value meant they ended up as a good way of buying half decent tonearms only.

I understand there is a Rebel 2 version in design but their website has been saying that for a couple of years now

Bought these on an ebay whim. I've never heard of them and can't find any info on them at all.

They are transmission line speakers and on my main system sounded very poor, I don't think they are that efficient so don't kiek valves but used as near field monitors on another system with transistor power they started to work. the top and middle was very good with a great soundstage and image but the bass is a little lacking.

They are called Chameleon which is on the badge and on the label on the back, they were sold to me as made by Helius but I very much doubt they are and they have an address on the back in Wickhamford, Evesham, U.K. The serial number is also odd it's something like D1, can't read it that well.

There is a company called Chameleon in the same town on the same industrial estate but I don't think they were anything to do with these.

I guess I'm going to have to post the pictures on one of the hifi sites but if anyone knows anything about them I'd be interested in their history.

DSCF6580_zps9f79db97.jpg

DSCF6582_zps57c8e937.jpg

DSCF6583_zps1177ab29.jpg

There was a cover available for the original Rebel but you don't see them very often.

Is yours a late production Revolver or an original one, the picture looks like a late production one?

I haven't bought a Rebel for years but they were always keenly priced 2nd hand so you might get a trashed one with a good cover or one someone has taken the arm off cheaply

I've never heard the more modern version and going on the high end version the Replay and the speakers they produce would expect it to be an improvement over the original and would be very interested to hear what improvements they made and what they are like compared to the original and the competition now.

I was never a fan of the sound of original Rebel I'm afraid. I have had plenty of originals over the years and tried all sorts of modifications on them without success, sadly their 2nd hand value meant they ended up as a good way of buying half decent tonearms only.

I understand there is a Rebel 2 version in design but their website has been saying that for a couple of years now

Not sure on the production. Didn't realise there was an original and a late production run as there isn't much info around on the web. I did see they were looking at a new version but yeah that website is quite old now. Still I seem to get some nice sound out of it so I'm happy with it. Haven't been able to find anyone that will send a cover to New Zealand and as you can imagine, these don't come up very often, if ever in little old NZ.

I didn't realise you were in NZ so yes I can see your problem and I'd get a cover made, shipping one from here would probably cost more plus you get to choose the colour.

The original 80's Rebel was a very flat sounding turntable, not sure if it was the bearing or the platter or the plinth or a combination but sadly a lot got broken up because they tended to be fitted with Rega or Linn arms, they were and still are a pretty common turntable here but at sometime the firm either went bust or just closed up. The name was then resurrected sometime around 2001 primarily as a maker of very nice speakers and they then started to remake the turntables. the newer ones are fitted with Jelco arms as in your picture but not to be confused with the originals as some of those had a similar Jelco arm but with a different mounting.

Judging by the speakers and the Replay turntable I would expect the new breed Rebel would be an altogether better bit of kit.

Moving into a small Seattle studio apartment soon, so I decided to combine my turntable set up and my HTR set up.

Swapped up my HK3390 receiver for a Sony STR-DH740 paired with a Cambridge Azur 551p preamp. Also, felt it appropriate to upgrade my cables so I got some Nakamachi cables for a good price. Stoked to get these guys set up tomorrow and hear the sound paired with my TSI 200s.

• 2 weeks later...

B&W ASW608 subwoofer -- I know, subs are generally looking down upon in 2 channel applications, especially with phono set ups. But it just sounds so freaking... good

Well I suppose if you're going to get one then a B&W is a good choice and if it's adds something your speakers or amplifier aren’t giving you then that's all good.

It would bug me though knowing I need it and it would drive me on a quest for speakers or an amp or both that do what I want.

DSCF6634_zps8f1b5cb9.jpg

I got this from ebay the other day, it needs a new pinch roller and capstan drive belt that will cost 20 quid more than I paid for the machine but I'm really looking forward to getting it going. I'm going to make up a distribution amplifier for it so I can run the 2 channels across all 8 tracks and use the full 1/2" tape width

I picked up a few things yesterday, a Technics SL23 that someone has made a new hardwood plinth for, at first glace I thought it was supposed to be like it until I got the bottom off then I could see it was home made but I have to say top job it looks very nice.

I also picked up a Trio KT-40LT receiver is amazing condition after it had a wash and brush up, all the bulbs are blown but are ordered and on their way.

And lastly a little pair of Tangent monitor speakers.

All cost pennies and all work, cheap vintage is still out there for very little money, some searching and a bit of elbow grease.

This never happens to me but there I am down at the dump throwing some stuff away and I see what looks like a turntable in the skip, I look a bit closer and I can see it is a turntable, faster than my missus can say what are you looking at it's out of the skip and in the back of the car.

The things people chuck away, amazing!!!

An Ariston RD11s with an SME Series IIIS arm and Ortofon cart, all working just a bit scruffy and very dirty so I've given it all a good clean and changed the cart because I'm not a fan of Ortofon's and I have another good table which I'm listening to as I write this.

DSCF6636_zpsa317e773.jpg