Faith No More - Album Of The Year Still Coming This Year?

Worst Patton album? Peeping TOM, Adult Themes, Delirium Cordia, Oddfellows, Suspended Animation, Lovage, Annonymous... too many to list.

Haha I loved Lovage & Peeping Tom.   Anyway, sorry.  I keep not stating clearly:

of the three Faith No More albums with Mike Patton-

Angel Dust, King for a Day, and Album of the Year,

I like the 1997 album the least.  

FWIW-  AD>KFAD>AOTY

And some days I still prefer KFAD over AD... that pressing is magical sounding.

We are scrapping it, things took way too long with the lyric gatefold approval and it seems MOV beat us to it so shit happens. The gold variant looks real nice so will try to pick that up myself. I assume MOV got the rights to their whole catalog since that is generally what they do so i figure they will do a KFAD re-issue soon also

Sorry to hear that.  Now do Local H's As Good as Dead and Pack Up the Cats.

Haha I loved Lovage & Peeping Tom.   Anyway, sorry.  I keep not stating clearly:

of the three Faith No More albums with Mike Patton-

Angel Dust, King for a Day, and Album of the Year,

I like the 1997 album the least.  

FWIW-  AD>KFAD>AOTY

And some days I still prefer KFAD over AD... that pressing is magical sounding.

Wait... so you've never even heard The Real Thing?!?!?!

Dude, this is gonna knock your fucking socks off!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERTT_sv8sV0

The Real Thing is a lot more funky and immature than successive albums, and Mike Patton sounds like he's 15. Except Zombie Eaters. I loved that song when i was 15 and it's still the best song on the album. My low bit rate MP3 i have of the album sounds terrible. Tinny with no body. I recently bought a US copy of the LP but my Turntable is still packed away so I can't check it out, but I hope it sounds better than this. I'm listening right now.

And LOL at you thinking he's never heard the album and then posting Epic. Worst song on the album IMHO, but probably partly because it's been played non-stop on FM radio since it's release.

The Real Thing is a lot more funky and immature than successive albums, and Mike Patton sounds like he's 15. Except Zombie Eaters. I loved that song when i was 15 and it's still the best song on the album. My low bit rate MP3 i have of the album sounds terrible. Tinny with no body. I recently bought a US copy of the LP but my Turntable is still packed away so I can't check it out, but I hope it sounds better than this. I'm listening right now.

And LOL at you thinking he's never heard the album and then posting Epic. Worst song on the album IMHO, but probably partly because it's been played non-stop on FM radio since it's release.

The US LP was mastered by John Golden and sounds pretty good even though it's DMM. He tends to know what he's doing. There are three different versions though and I've only heard one. Some of The Real Thing was remastered for the CD only compilation "The Very Best Definitive Ultimate Greatest Hits Collection" (The Real Thing, From Out Of Nowhere and Epic). It's a shame they never gave the full album a decent remaster and a 20th anniversary release. I guess they could do a 25th Anniversary remaster for the album this year but I wouldn't hold your breath. Rhino (the division of Warner which handles legacy for Warner's archives) tend to sit on their hands a bit too much.

And, btw, Introduce Yourself is a fucking amazing album...

I hope that gets a repress too.

One of my favourites. I know it's a hackneyed "hipster-esque" position, but I adore their first album 'We Care A Lot'. It's such an 80's record. Very new wave, reminiscent of Killing Joke and early Young Gods. I ripped an early version of one of the album's tracks (The Jungle) and got friend in the US to remaster the track for me and it came out quite well considering my source equipment:

We care a lot is my favorite non patton fnm. Way less funky than introduce yrself.

I absolutely love Why Do You Bother, As The Worm Turns, Mark Bowen, The Jungle... the album is quite underrated. It's just great. I was buying converse trainers for my daughter at the god-awful Blue Banana (UK) and they were playing Introduce Yourself. I was absolutely chuffed. I love that album too. Chinese Arithmetic is one of my favourite tracks.

I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to who and/or where the best masters come from, but I do tty to keep tabs on which labels do good work for obvious reasons. That said, forgive my ignorance, but does MOV have a poor reputation regarding this that I'm unaware of? I've read some favorable reviews of their pressings before. Not gushing, but certainly not damning either.

I got a copy of this on Amazon today for $24 shipped.  For that price I'll take any color they send me.

thanks for the heads up on this. had a $15 amazon gift card so i managed to snag the same thing for $8.93 shipped. says they only have 13 left in stock, so if anyone else is reading this JUMP ON THAT SHIT, YO!

Wait... so you've never even heard The Real Thing?!?!?!

Dude, this is gonna knock your fucking socks off!!!!

LOL... wow egg on face, AOTY isn't the worst FNM patton-era album.  in that case AD>KFAD>AOTY>TRT.  And I already have an original pressing of TRT.  Zombie Eaters is the only needed song.

I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to who and/or where the best masters come from, but I do tty to keep tabs on which labels do good work for obvious reasons. That said, forgive my ignorance, but does MOV have a poor reputation regarding this that I'm unaware of? I've read some favorable reviews of their pressings before. Not gushing, but certainly not damning either.

MOV are more than competent and have a history of well made high quality albums. The original MPO pressings is a little bit hot, so when things get really loud, there is some blistering to the sound, but it's not a major issue.

This version appears to have been remastered, with a different/new intro to Mouth To Mouth which I noticed. I;m unsure if there are many other differences, but listening to the original MPO pressing, it lacks the detail present in the MOV pressing, so although the MOV pressing is not mastered so hot, it doesn't lose anything in the way of dynamism and detail. I'm picking things up on this MOV pressig which I cannot hear on the original. That said, some feel that MOV pressings have a bit too much surface noise. That can be a side effect of having a cartridge which picks up more detail. So the cheaper blunter tool may forgoe that slight issue. It is noticeable, but is accentuated on better equipment. 

On balance I'd take the MOV pressing on gold over the original even if they cost the same. I've not heard the black vinyl version yet. Mine will arrive tomorrow I expect.

MOV are more than competent and have a history of well made high quality albums. The original MPO pressings is a little bit hot, so when things get really loud, there is some blistering to the sound, but it's not a major issue.

This version appears to have been remastered, with a different/new intro to Mouth To Mouth which I noticed. I;m unsure if there are many other differences, but listening to the original MPO pressing, it lacks the detail present in the MOV pressing, so although the MOV pressing is not mastered so hot, it doesn't lose anything in the way of dynamism and detail. I'm picking things up on this MOV pressig which I cannot hear on the original. That said, some feel that MOV pressings have a bit too much surface noise. That can be a side effect of having a cartridge which picks up more detail. So the cheaper blunter tool may forgoe that slight issue. It is noticeable, but is accentuated on better equipment. 

On balance I'd take the MOV pressing on gold over the original even if they cost the same. I've not heard the black vinyl version yet. Mine will arrive tomorrow I expect.

Thanks for the knowledge. My MOV copy of Angel Dust arrived this morning before work so I'll poo something on here after I give it a good couple of listens. It's the blue vinyl version and it came with the replacement 1st LP as well as the original.

My MOV copy of Angel Dust arrived this morning before work so I'll poo something on here after I give it a good couple of listens. It's the blue vinyl version and it came with the replacement 1st LP as well as the original.

Cool. Out of interest how did you manage to get a copy with the replacement 1st record? I'm asking as I'm trying to obtain it on black vinyl so i don't have to mess around trying to get a replacement. Also how did you identify it was the replacement first record?

Cool. Out of interest how did you manage to get a copy with the replacement 1st record? I'm asking as I'm trying to obtain it on black vinyl so i don't have to mess around trying to get a replacement. Also how did you identify it was the replacement first record?

I was planning on getting the black myself even though I really wanted the blue. Especially after reading about the replacement vinyl on discogs, but not finding a mention of it on MOV's site. Not to mention that I'm located Stateside and MOV cant distribute here so I'm not even sure how I'd've gone about getting the replacement or who through. Anyhow, I found a copy of it for sale in ebay with both copies of the 1st LP - the replacement and the original (the replacement is a lighter blue). So I made an offer and got it for $50 shipped.

*EDIT* Relatively new to the board and I just read the Angel Dust thread. Imagine me explaining the above to 828321. Holy smokes. Anyway, the dark blue has the glitch and the light blue does not. That said, this is the best sounding version of AD that I've heard. Gives me great confidence in my AOY and TRT pre-orders.

Ok so I just listened to my copy of AOTY on black from Amazon UK. Well....it sounds amazing! Virtually no surface noise at all. Tracks like Last Cup of Sorrow and Helpless that have some quiet parts were dead quiet allowing the detail to come through.

I was a little upset I didn't get a gold copy but after the reports of surface noise ill stick with the black.

I will preorder The Real Thing on black from Amazon now. I got the blue version of Angel Dust from Amazon but I didn't get the "fixed" first LP. Not sure if I should email MOV or Amazon for a replacement?