Po: Blink-182 - Take Off Your Pants And Jacket Lp + 3 7"s

jhulud

Blink 182 – Take Off Your Pants and Jacket  Clear Pressing / Subscription Vol 2 Details
As many of you know we are completely sold out of our Blink 182 – TOYPAJ first pressing copies. We put up details for a subscription variant which may have caused a bit of confusion so here is what the deal is. We have a SMALL amount of TOYPAJ jackets left and with this selling out ever so quickly we are going to do a small repress that will be available both to everyone along with a special version for subscribers. Following this we will not be repressing this until later this year as for we have many  new projects and other OOP titles we are currently working on repressing (Say Anything, Manic Compression and Saosin to name a few). Here are the complete details for the second pressing of TOYPAJ:

Subscription Version – LTD 182 Copies, Clear LP plus Red, Green and Yellow 7”
Non Subscription Version – LTD 300 copies, Clear LP, 3 Black 7”

THERE WILL BE NO FOREWORD WITH ANY OF THESE COPIES

Both will be ready on or before June 25th. Pre order for the NON SUBSCRIPTION VERSION will go live along Starting Line at 1 pm EST tomorrow. 

Subscription  Vol 2 Details
We have posted the details for the Volume 2 version of the SRC Subscription. Current subscribers are now able to pre order this package. This time around it is limited to only 182 copies, due to the small amount of Blink 7” we have left. If you are a subscriber you can secure your copy now. If you are not a subscriber you can become a subscriber through one of our Vol 1 packages. Note, volume 1.51 is now shipping in entirety so there is only one lower shipping fee. Vol 1 and 1.52 will be shipping in its entirety by mid to late May. 

I don't know why but this whole release and how it has been priced/released just makes me feel dirty. I can't pinpoint the exact reason why but SRC has quickly become everything I hate about the current vinyl collecting community.

Not that they give a shit as they bask in their pools of money but I just feel like it needed to be said (and probably said for the 100th time).

It's really weird you say this because I was thinking the other day about how much money they must make after I had a recent issue with them and the response I got was "we're a small company and we don't make a lot of money, but we still tried to do something nice for RSD weekend." 

It's really weird you say this because I was thinking the other day about how much money they must make after I had a recent issue with them and the response I got was "we're a small company and we don't make a lot of money, but we still tried to do something nice for RSD weekend." 

I'm sure SRC makes enough money to stay in business, but you have to realize their business model is exhausting—it's entirely dependent on limited physical product. There is a finite amount of money they can make off anything they carry, and the profit margin for selling vinyl is extremely slim, especially when you're paying for overhead, multiple employees, etc. I'm not saying it's an unsustainable model (as I think SRC has done quite a good job of growing their business in recent years, far better than Virgil did during VC's boom years), but again, it has to be exhausting. You can't ever sit back and wait for, like, a royalty check from digital sales to come in, like some labels are able to.

I'm sure SRC makes enough money to stay in business, but you have to realize their business model is exhausting—it's entirely dependent on limited physical product. There is a finite amount of money they can make off anything they carry, and the profit margin for selling vinyl is extremely slim, especially when you're paying for overhead, multiple employees, etc. I'm not saying it's an unsustainable model (as I think SRC has done quite a good job of growing their business in recent years, far better than Virgil did during VC's boom years), but again, it has to be exhausting. You can't ever sit back and wait for, like, a royalty check from digital sales to come in, like some labels are able to.

The profit margin really isn't that thin tbqh especially with these represses that they are doing, which really don't require a whole bunch of energy and are basically a license to print money. It's not like they are building these releases from scratch.

that's a bingo. i really think you nailed it.

The profit margin really isn't that thin tbqh especially with these represses that they are doing, which really don't require a whole bunch of energy and are basically a license to print money. It's not like they are building these releases from scratch.

I agree. Some labels really do have to push to move 300 pieces of a product. SRC has a reputation for making a decent product and they are putting out some highly wanted items. They sold every copy of their first Blink Takeoff press without much problem. I'm not saying they are rich. I'd say with the number of releases they are able to put out, the quality put into each release, and the price tag they place on their products they have to be doing far better than most. They also have various other products available outside of their own vinyl releases.

Digital sales are only great when the music is actually bought by quite a few people. So the overhead to that venture (recording cost, promtion, marketing, etc...) can be quite exhausting as well if the label actually has to invest in the artist. Labels don't usually just sit back and wait for it to roll in with new artists. The overhead to promote a new artist, most of the time, and actually make them a viable sustainable group in today's market takes some time and management and whole lot of money...unless by luck you are a label that draws those one or two lucky bands out of the hat (which is rare).

Aside from that...if the band is already a sustainable artist that can make a massive load of money I see what Scott's saying. Basically Blink can release Dogs Eating Dogs themselves and make unlimited money (due to the fact it can always be downloaded at any time). Where as SRC can only sell the limited product they. They make money off that, but the money stops once the product is gone.

Despite the headache that was the last two years surrounding this release, the excessive amount of money I lost to RJ and now also had to pay to SRC I can say without a doubt this package turned out amazing. SRC really not only got this through the finish line but did a killer job. Definitely in the top 5 jewels of my collection as far as overall packaging and aesthetics (up there with The Alchemy Index, the Jon Foreman EPs and 52 Weeks). I strongly reccomend picking up a set of these if you can. Reading the Hoppus foreword added so much more insight into this album for me and definitely helped explain the lead up to Boxcar and the eventual split.

A couple things:

Definitely looks like whoever handled the vinyl when packaging put their hands on the grooves. On the jacket there is indentations on every fold, looks like the were meant to hold the 7"s but they never went through with it? Kind of takes away from the packaging a bit. On the foreward, The colored words Take Off (Green), Pants (Yellow), and Jacket (Red) doesn't match the rest of the albums theme where Take Off is Red and Jacket is Green. On the Take Off 7" a the end of Time To Break Up the first half second of Mother's Day plays before it gets cut off. The release is amazing, but not perfect, lol. BUT I am very glad I spent the $50 for it. The packaging and the extras are just great, the foreward was a great read, and it's definitely a nice thing to have.

PMn8makl.jpg

iXKveX4l.jpg

2EfWlXol.jpg

A couple things:

Definitely looks like whoever handled the vinyl when packaging put their hands on the grooves. On the jacket there is indentations on every fold, looks like the were meant to hold the 7"s but they never went through with it? Kind of takes away from the packaging a bit. On the foreward, The colored words Take Off (Green), Pants (Yellow), and Jacket (Red) doesn't match the rest of the albums theme where Take Off is Red and Jacket is Green. On the Take Off 7" a the end of Time To Break Up the first half second of Mother's Day plays before it gets cut off. The release is amazing, but not perfect, lol. BUT I am very glad I spent the $50 for it. The packaging and the extras are just great, the foreward was a great read, and it's definitely a nice thing to have.

PMn8makl.jpg

iXKveX4l.jpg

2EfWlXol.jpg

pry the "indentations" open ya ding dong.

I don't want anyone to get the idea that I hated this release and I'm complaining for the sake of complaining. I do think it looks awesome, despite its flaws. And it is one of the nicest packages in my collection regardless. I've already flaunted the thing to all my friends on instagram, I think it's friggin beautiful. All I'm saying is that this release could have been out together with a little more care, and the end result would have been an even nicer product that would, in my own opinion, be more worthy of the $50 pricetag.

I know people who received theirs and had the jackets split nearly in half during shipping... I'm sure that they're definitely not happy about having paid that much for a unintentionally flawed product