Eric, I'M CALLING YOU OUT

counterfiction

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well since it turns out that 311thrice is now getting the reach around and my karma has plummeted 12 points I should reply at around this point.

LOL oh noez

i thought that was funny too

i think my karma goes down every time i post, but i'm not sweating it

i doubt anyone's thinking "this guy's karma is in the negative so i'm not even going to read his posts!!"

Why did I call him out? To get this discussion going about the ethics of record collecting from a record collecting standpoint. He's one of us and he's going to probably collect a hefty profit off of another collector less than two months after the record came out.

Everyone keeps mentioning the "ethics" of record collecting and this "unwritten code" about trading, selling, flipping. So, what's an appropriate length of time to wait before selling a record on ebay? What if, and I know this isn't the case here, but what if he bought the Isis box and realized that it was overkill and he only really needs one or two Isis records to be happy? Is it ok for him to sell the box then? Or, say he bought it and then had a financial crisis, such as a car accident or a health problem or something, would he be called out as a flipper for selling something he spent a few hundred dollars on in hopes of covering some emergency expenses?

Let flippers flip. As far as I'm concerned, the only rule of "record collecting ethics" should be: "You snooze, you lose. Get on that shit before it's gone." I've flipped before, but I've also gone out of my way to hook people on this board up with things at retail price that I could probably get way more for (like grabbing those Cute Lepers tour LPs for a couple of guys).

Like kyle said, this flipping debate is getting tired. It's not going to stop. Starting a thread calling out one guy for flipping when there are 80 other threads on here of folks flipping other things isn't going to solve the problem. 311thrice (now known as Eric) seems like an ok dude and he ponied up for the Isis set, from there he can do what he wants.

Why did I call him out? To get this discussion going about the ethics of record collecting from a record collecting standpoint. He's one of us and he's going to probably collect a hefty profit off of another collector less than two months after the record came out.

Everyone keeps mentioning the "ethics" of record collecting and this "unwritten code" about trading, selling, flipping. So, what's an appropriate length of time to wait before selling a record on ebay? What if, and I know this isn't the case here, but what if he bought the Isis box and realized that it was overkill and he only really needs one or two Isis records to be happy? Is it ok for him to sell the box then? Or, say he bought it and then had a financial crisis, such as a car accident or a health problem or something, would he be called out as a flipper for selling something he spent a few hundred dollars on in hopes of covering some emergency expenses?

Let flippers flip. As far as I'm concerned, the only rule of "record collecting ethics" should be: "You snooze, you lose. Get on that shit before it's gone." I've flipped before, but I've also gone out of my way to hook people on this board up with things at retail price that I could probably get way more for (like grabbing those Cute Lepers tour LPs for a couple of guys).

Like kyle said, this flipping debate is getting tired. It's not going to stop. Starting a thread calling out one guy for flipping when there are 80 other threads on here of folks flipping other things isn't going to solve the problem. 311thrice (now known as Eric) seems like an ok dude and he ponied up for the Isis set, from there he can do what he wants.

I think it's moreso that he bought it seemingly just to sell. I mean most of the "flippers" on this board claim they "just can't get into it" when they sell records, and nobody seems to really comment. If he had said that he gave it a listen, and just wasn't feeling it, maybe less people would've complained?

And I don't think the debate is ever going to end.

(I myself think it was a dick move on his part, though I don't feel like arguing.)

I don't know why I feel compelled to add my 2 cents to this, but I never understood why folks get mad about this sort of thing. And this is speaking as someone that has paid out the ass for many records on ebay. I don't flip, but if someone else does, what's there to be mad about?

Ebay is only as evil as the people who are willing to pay for the records. if they're willing to spend the motherload, how does that make the seller a bad person? Is this any worse than all of the record stores that buy records from people and then list them on ebay instead of selling them in their store to the locals?

I got nothing to comment about this other than it's time to let this end. Some people think that what he did is dick...he got called out on it...it's spiraled into an argument about record collecting ethics vs. flipping...now it's time for this to just die.

Let's move on to bigger and better topics.