• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up my first Music Matters reissue.  This thing sounds amazing.  I'll probably slowly start getting ahold of the other MM reissues that they've done so far.  This is going to be an expensive journey...

20150119_111438.jpg

I also just ordered the Analogue Productions Prestige pressing of Sonny Rollins' "Saxophone Colossus".  Pretty excited to get that in the mail.

Just picked up my first Music Matters reissue.  This thing sounds amazing.  I'll probably slowly start getting ahold of the other MM reissues that they've done so far.  This is going to be an expensive journey...

20150119_111438.jpg

I also just ordered the Analogue Productions Prestige pressing of Sonny Rollins' "Saxophone Colossus".  Pretty excited to get that in the mail.

That is one great album!!

Where did you order the Sonny Rollins album from? It's one of my favorites.

Where did you order the Sonny Rollins album from? It's one of my favorites.

I just got it through the record store I work at.  Worth every penny.  I think it's still available for purchase through Music Matters though, or an outlet like Sound Stage Direct.

Was able to pick up a sealed 45 RPM 2LP copy of Out to Lunch for $60 last week. Haven't listened to it yet but it is calling my name. That thing is seriously heavy. I could probably kill a bear with it.

I've been thinking about picking up the recently reissued 33 RPM Music Matters version of this.  Such a great record.

I wish! Someone on another forum pointed out its like $770 a year just for Blue Note LPs (I believe thats getting both the 45s and 33s)

I did just drop a decent amount on a few of these though...really excited to get them in!

That has to be approx. 20 records per year, which doesn't sound too bad assuming shipping + handling is included. I might look into it. Thanks for the info.

I just got it through the record store I work at.  Worth every penny.  I think it's still available for purchase through Music Matters though, or an outlet like Sound Stage Direct.

I'll check out a couple online retailers. Acoustic Sound, the link provided by Analogue Productions on their site, is out of stock. Thanks for the heads up.

When I first started getting into Jazz, I blindly purchased some WaxTiime, Jazz Wax, etc. records since they were pretty affordable.  After buying this Music Matters reissue, it's crazy how night and day the quality difference is in sound, layout, etc.

Although the MM and AP reissues cost more, it seems to be worth it to have a smaller collection of amazing sounding records as opposed to a larger collection of records that just sound okay or are hit or miss.

got some older records from my Grandmother, classical, old singer/songwriter stuff.

I did, however, find two Lionel Hampton records, Silver Vibes and Golden Vibes and they are in great condition. Love the jazz vibes

Couldn't agree more about the jazz vibes.  I really dig Hamp and Milt Jackson.

In fact, this was one of the first jazz albums I ever heard that really grabbed my attention: http://www.discogs.com/Lionel-Hampton-The-Music-Of-Charles-Mingus/master/299567 but my copy was titled "His Final Work" by Mingus instead of being a Hampton title, but it looks like from the Discogs page that it was originally a Hampton release.  Mingus plays the bass on it and composed all the selections, though.

Which 2 Music Matters Blue Note 33rpm releases you'd recommend as my first batch? I'd like to get 'em all eventually, but their release schedule is too fast for me.. As €uro is sinking at the moment the already high prices and unavoidable custom fees are limiting my blossoming jazz collecting to only 2 releases at the time. I was thinking "Blue Train" and "Moanin'" but they all are so incredible and I can only imagine how they'll sound on my tt.. :) Which ones are going to be OOP soonest, what do you think?

Which 2 Music Matters Blue Note 33rpm releases you'd recommend as my first batch? I'd like to get 'em all eventually, but their release schedule is too fast for me.. As €uro is sinking at the moment the already high prices and unavoidable custom fees are limiting my blossoming jazz collecting to only 2 releases at the time. I was thinking "Blue Train" and "Moanin'" but they all are so incredible and I can only imagine how they'll sound on my tt.. :) Which ones are going to be OOP soonest, what do you think?

Those are definitely the two that I would initially recommend.  I just picked up Hank Mobley's "Soul Station" the other day, and that album is amazing as well.  Art Blakey's drums sound so good on it.

Sidewinder from MM sounds great. I have a jacket-less 80s reissue that sounds good but wow the MM!

So far I also have Go and Blue Train. I also have Ike Quebec Soul Samba 45 RPM from a few years back and if you enjoy Bossa nova and samba, this one is highly recommended. Not sure if it's eventually coming to the MM 33 1/3 schedule.

As far as selling out, I still see copies of the MM Blue Train out there and that was released a year ago. Compare that to the Coltrane Quality Records Mono reissues recently, and those seem to be getting harder to find.

Just picked up my first Music Matters reissue. This thing sounds amazing. I'll probably slowly start getting ahold of the other MM reissues that they've done so far. This is going to be an expensive journey...

20150119_111438.jpg

I also just ordered the Analogue Productions Prestige pressing of Sonny Rollins' "Saxophone Colossus". Pretty excited to get that in the mail.

I bought a standard reissue of this a few months back and listening to it tonight. Sounds really great, though cant compare to the MM pressing. Only downside seems to be one side of the record has a slight warp you can see as it spins. Doesnt affect play more just a bummer.

Great damn record though and finally glad to upgrade from cd to vinyl on this and support a hometown jazz performer.