Vinyl from band members

So I ordered Dillinger Escape Plan "Miss Machine" on discogs this morning. When I payed through PayPal for it, the sellers name was Liam Wilson which happens to be their bassist.

I had the same thing happen to me last month when I ordered Mastodon "Leviathon" on ebay. PayPal confirmed the seller was Troy Sanders.

Anyone have any cool stories of being surprised on who is selling them their records?

it wasn't a surprise, but I've ordered a few things from kepi ghoulie before.  I've bought 4 of his test presses and had him paint covers for 6 albums (it was supposed to be 6 covers for 6 tests, but neither he nor the guy from the label could find tests for the other two albums).  hopefully I'll get a few more later this summer

Usually if you're going after really rare records the only people that have copies are the band themselves, or the people who run the labels that put the records out. A few of my high end American Nightmare records came from guys in the band and they've all been great to buy/trade with. I've also gotten some stuff from Jeff Nelson of Minor Threat off ebay and thought it was kind of crazy that I got to say thanks for the record and your music. Getting your records from the people who were involved in creating it is definitely cool, plus you know your money is going directly to them, and not some random guy who's just flipping it.

it wasn't a surprise, but I've ordered a few things from kepi ghoulie before.  I've bought 4 of his test presses and had him paint covers for 6 albums (it was supposed to be 6 covers for 6 tests, but neither he nor the guy from the label could find tests for the other two albums).  hopefully I'll get a few more later this summer

That's pretty cool. I'm looking into a wooden box for my Ghoulies lps and wondered if he'd be up to painting the cover. I might have to look into it a little bit more now.

That's pretty cool. I'm looking into a wooden box for my Ghoulies lps and wondered if he'd be up to painting the cover. I might have to look into it a little bit more now.

Ive got a custom painting that i got kepi to paint for my girlfriend 2 christmas' ago. It turned out KILLER

I'm sure he would love to paint it

I'm sure he would.  send him a message on facebook, and he'll probably just have you mail him the cover when he gets back from europe.

but yeah, kepi's a cool guy.  I let him crash at my condo a few months back and he bought me pancakes :)

I've never bought any records from band members, but I've been given a few. I have quite a bit of odd merch items I have been given too when my dad worked with a couple bands back in the day (Fugazi, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Janes Addiction, Dead Kennedys, etc)

I've never bought any records from band members, but I've been given a few. I have quite a bit of odd merch items I have been given too when my dad worked with a couple bands back in the day (Fugazi, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Janes Addiction, Dead Kennedys, etc)

Nice!