PO: Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

Based on what you said happened I think you have your answer to that question

The photo also showed a reel tape. So its not like CD's are there only source for vinyl mastering but I didn't like that it was an option at all. Here's the photo:

http://www.furnacemfg.com/Downloads/VinylProcessPoster_PRINTABLE.pdf

The photo also showed a reel tape. So its not like CD's are there only source for vinyl mastering but I didn't like that it was an option at all. Here's the photo:

http://www.furnacemfg.com/Downloads/VinylProcessPoster_PRINTABLE.pdf

There's nothing shady about it. They explained why the CD was there, then when you persisted, they chose to ignore you. They press onto vinyl whatever the person ordering the job gives them to press.

I get the concern, I like my audio quality as much or more than the next vinyl fan. But the fact is, a lot of CD or lesser quality stuff has been pressed onto vinyl because that's what a plant was paid to do. Get upset at the labels and bands, not Furnace.

With what Furnace can control, I think they are one of, if not the best pressing facility. This release looks great. Top quality all around.

You're definitely right that the label would be to blame in that scenario. I just wanted them to acknowledge it. Maybe I was a dick. Either way, I have plenty of Furnace manufactured stuff and it all looks and sounds great. It was really just the principle of it that bugged me. There may have been one or two that I was not super impressed with the sound but overall the stuff I have from them is great. I still hope that they were supplied with a lossless studio master for this release especially.

I don't think you were being a dick. Furnace is not going to divulge negative info that could lose them further contracts, if there is negative info to divulge. Unfortunately, unless the info on source is out there, it's best just to assume the worst or take a neutral stance and listen to the record yourself to judge. Given that most of us regular music lovers don't really know what goes on behind the curtain, I'm starting to take the "ignorance is bliss" route and just judge for myself. I in no way am saying I can tell whether a digital or analog master was used, but I think I have an ear that I feel comfortable with to judge for myself if I think a record sounds good. 

I, too, hope that this was done right, but ultimately, that's up to Josh Homme.

Amen to that! I also don't claim to be able to necessarily tell whether a record has been cut using the CD or digital master but I feel like I can usually hear it if its tape. Who knows, though. At this point I accept that some will be digital masters but I think that it is definitely cheating your customers if you cut from the retail CD edition of an album for your lacquer. Even if we can't tell, its cheating us.

..definitely cheating your customers if you cut from the retail CD edition of an album for your lacquer. Even if we can't tell, its cheating us.

Specifically it says PMCD... does that imply it's a pre-mastered CD?  Perhaps not as dynamically compressed?

TBH- CD audio can sound better than an LP if mastered with dynamic range in mind.  Typically speaking CDs and digital fomats are mastered as loud as possible so you can listen in most environments whereas LPs can be made with less overall loudness considering they're listened to at home, where it is generally quiet.

So you're saying that your copy appears missing?

In all seriousness, that sucks. I hope it turns up.

Just listened to mine and its gonna be grower. I hope so anyway.

Hopefully not really, but it was supposed to have been delivered here in Hawaii 3 days ago and so far it has hit three cities all along the coast of California. It's like they are looking for a bridge to Hawaii or something.