Favorite picture disc?

Picture discs are cool. If done well.

Keep in mind there are a number of different methods (or variations on a method) used to produce them. Some better than others.

There is a lengthy post I made in the FUTCT thread in regards to these processes, while discussing the gold sparkle /20 pressing of that album, which was in fact, a picture disc.

It's very important to understand these different methods of production, and become well acquainted with how different plants do the job. Unfortunately, you can't always tell where one was pressed, so buying them is a crapshoot.

Worst one I've ever bought: some iron maiden record, about 5 to 8 years ago. Damn thing was unlistenable. Quiet cut, terrible sound quality (very obvious cut from CD) and extreme surface noise, undoubtedly accentuated by the quiet mastering of the record.

Example of a very well done one: picture disc of Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream. As quiet as one could hope for, very well pressed, very well mastered, and gorgeous artwork. A winner in every regard, besides the fact that originals on black vinyl can easily be found for a quarter, in great abundance. So the $25 pricetag is arguably the worst part of the package.

Honorable mention: Blondie's Parallel Lines. 1978. Amazing artwork, good pressing, and the mastering's sound quality is actually far superior to the standard edition. Many who hate picture discs wish it was pressed on standard black vinyl.

Ones I always wanted:

There's some house record that looks like a giant Cd-R, which is rad.

I also always wanted Infinity on High, but never saw it in shops again after I put it down in hot topic. Never thought it'd become so unavailable.

If you're going to put out a picture disc

Do:

Cut it loud

Opt for 45 RPM if possible if that would allow you a louder cut

Cut percussive or bass heavy music

Cut relatively narrow or MONO recordings!

Ask for a sample list from the pressing plant of albums they have worked on, evaluate them.

Don't:

Cram 20 minutes to a side

Cut ambient or classical music

Cut recordings with a very wide soundstage

Sacrifice the volume in any way. You are fighting surface noise here.

Picture discs traditionally weren't created with sound quality in mind, but it's not impossible to put out a good sounding picture disc with a little bit of knowledge and care.

Everyone knew it was a picture disc, right? Since it has the black rim? The argument was whether or not it played. I hope.

If I recall correctly, there was initially some disagreement as to whether or not it was a picture disc. Then there was the whole does it play or not thing. Then we came to the conclusion that one was so poorly pressed that it wouldn't play. As to how poorly, I cannot comment. Couldn't have sounded worse than my iron maiden picture disc though :P