what was the first notable vinyl 'variant'?

How does that pressing of Sgt. Peppers sound? I have a bunch of 45s from the 60s/70s on red or blue, and I think they're the reason a lot of people still say that colored vinyl sounds like shit.

I personally think it sound pretty good, I don't have any other pressings to compare it to, and my mom is the original owner so it's been well taken care of since 1978.

Joining the Beatles party with my copy of White on White pressed in 78.  First ''variant'' I can think of released for  collectability.  A bunch of releases had gimmicks and sthuff with releases (Sticky Fingers, Cheech n' Chong, Sgt. Peppers etc) but they were the main release most often and not a collectable variant.  

Hmm.. good question OP.

So in 1978:

Beatles White

Beatles Sgt. Pepper's

Misfits Horror Biz

Ramones Road to Ruin

Beat me to it. They were also pressed on blue, black, might be some other colors. But red was most common for 1st pressings. There was color vinyl before, but this is the first example I can think of where records were pressed on the same label for the same release, on different colored plastics. Fantasy 3-1 was released in either 1950 or 1951, if you'll excuse my rusty memory.

The 1949 RCA victor 7" 45s are colored vinyl, but I wouldn't call them variants.

My copy of Cal Tjader Trio (Fantasy 3-9) from late 1953 is on blue. You can see it here.

But none of these old-timey records you guys are mentioning are "variants" in the modern nomenclature. These were put out when records were the dominant medium. When a pressing sold out, the label repressed it. Otherwise, nobody would be able to buy the album. They didn't put them all out at once with 1000 on red, 2000 on splatter, and 5000 on black.

But none of these old-timey records you guys are mentioning are "variants" in the modern nomenclature. These were put out when records were the dominant medium. When a pressing sold out, the label repressed it. Otherwise, nobody would be able to buy the album. They didn't put them all out at once with 1000 on red, 2000 on splatter, and 5000 on black.

Yes, we know that this thread is geared towards variants aimed at record collectors, not the general vinyl consumer. I wager that Sub Pop had a lot to do with the current state of this.

However, in broader "variant" terms, customers in the late 40's & early 50's often had the option to choose a release as a 78RPM album, a 45RPM box & a microgroove LP; all three released simultaneously. Later, Stereo was a more expensive (and now rarer) variant to choose from.

I'm curious, though it probably couldn't be found, as to what record was the first that people tried to collect every pressing of. Lots of classic records had copies produced in different countries. There are different Hungarian or Yugoslavian pressings of Beatles, Stones records. What was the classic album that people tried to get every copy available of.

I'm curious, though it probably couldn't be found, as to what record was the first that people tried to collect every pressing of. Lots of classic records had copies produced in different countries. There are different Hungarian or Yugoslavian pressings of Beatles, Stones records. What was the classic album that people tried to get every copy available of.

My vote is Nirvana's "Bleach".

No, I've heard of people trying to get every import pressing of Sgt. Pepper.

Hmm, I don't really think that counts as variant pressings of Sgt Pepper. I'd say a variant only counts if it is part of a larger edition of the same pressing by the same label or entity.

Dave Mason's "Alone Together" from 1970 was briefly issued with this cool marbled variant on Blue Thumb.

Hmm, I don't really think that counts as variant pressings of Sgt Pepper. I'd say a variant only counts if it is part of a larger edition of the same pressing by the same label or entity.

Dave Mason's "Alone Together" from 1970 was briefly issued with this cool marbled variant on Blue Thumb.

Oh, variants. I don't have anything to add with regard to that. Don't have a clue. Nirvana - Bleach, sure, why not? I was posing the query in which I speculated which record was THE RECORD that people tried get every copy available. I never heard of anyone doing that before Sgt. Pepper but it could be.

Colored records really came into their own after the Civil Rights movement in the sixties.

They don't like to be refereed to as "colored" anymore.

that is a really wonderful looking record