PO: Palms - S/T (Chino Moreno + ex-Isis members)

I just heard the whole thing. am I the only one not into this?? :/

Where have you heard it? My opinion so far is the same as it's been. Underwhelmed by Tropics, but I think it needs to be heard in the context of the album (and mastered, of course) to judge. Patagonia drew me in pretty effectively. And the trailer left me even more excited. I'm betting that this album will have a smattering of sweet spots, but will be overall more of a grower.

I'll agree with the Tomahawk set though I know nothing of the Melvins title. I don't think that it is particularly Ipecac's fault, at least not completely. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with their distributor Fontana Distribution but Ipecac put out Isis - Wavering Radiant and that was far from a cheap production. It also has to do with how active the band is in deciding what the trimmings and options will be for their release. There's no guarantee that this Palms release will have any of the same shortcomings (or any other ones) of the releases you mentioned just because they're on the same label.

I'm going to trust, because Isis have always had quality vinyl releases, that this one will follow suit. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The thing about Isis vinyl is that basically all of it with the exception of the domestic vinyl edition of Wavering Radiant has been liscensed by other labels for vinyl releases. Robotic Empire, Escape Artist, Level Plane, Trust No One, Daymare, Conspiracy and Second Nature have all been responsible for culminating their pre-Wavering (and a few of them handling foreign editions of Wavering) catalog on vinyl so you can't really judge Ipecac on those. It's been the liscensing labels in question who have been footing the bill for the vinyl productions of each prior album so they would be taking part in the decisions and I imagine the band has been making decisions in participation with them in some or all cases.

I was referencing Wavering Radiant and Temporal. Two positive examples to the two negatives brought up. I'd further counter the two negatives by dismissing the melvins release as bad luck unless yancey went through several warped copies. Also the Tomahawks box set was made light weight to keep it an affordable bulk release.