Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

This thread helped me:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/98633-help-me-come-up-with-a-decent-setup-on-a-budget/

I'd just suggest if you have less money to spend, try the U-turn http://uturnaudio.com instead of the Carbon TT.

Thanks! When I go to set myself up, I will have around 300-400 to spend.

Is this for the turn table only or all-in? Do you currently have an amplifier and speakers?

Yeah because I got a deal on my Carbon which was $360 shipped and my total for my new setup was like $690. Stretch as much as you can and plan hard.

I was going to run it though my tv/soundbar surround sound. So all I need is the turntable and amplifier.

I just had an old turntable playing through it, and it sounded great. Is there something I'm missing?

Man, are you lucky this is the beginner thread!!!

Soundbars are generally considered fine for TV, but not great for music. Your opinion obviously differs. It is your system, so ultimately it's only your opinion that matters. It sounds like you may need a phono preamp as well.

Man, are you lucky this is the beginner thread!!!

Soundbars are generally considered fine for TV, but not great for music. Your opinion obviously differs. It is your system, so ultimately it's only your opinion that matters. It sounds like you may need a phono preamp as well.

Read this thread properly from the start, there are only 20 odd pages and I bet it will answer most if not all of your questions, I know I've answered the ones about the pro's and cons' between AV (surround sound) and hifi (music) several times.

Once you have read it all and have an idea in the direction you want to go in you can at least narrow down your questions.

• 2 weeks later...

At that point, which is the better starter table?  The one that requires you to:

1) learn about carts/needles (good luck newbie!)

2) replace the cart (see above)

3) deal with the phono preamp fake out (it's included...but don't use it!)

or the one that costs $20 more but saves you the hassle.

That is exactly my thought process as I choose my first TT this week. I read that article as I researched entry-level TTs, and decided to get the AT-PL120USB off Amazon. My Prime 2-day shipping guaranteed I would get it last Saturday, but it never arrived. I called Amazon on Monday, and they said it looked like it got lost in transit, and refunded my money. I saw this as divine intervention, and decided to order the Debut Carbon. I also bought a pre-amp on eBay for the Debut. However, yesterday the 120 arrived, so I called Amazon and cancelled the Debut Carbon delivery.

Then I found this thread, which states at the beginning "Avoid Audio-Technica" and the recommended entry-level TTs include the Debut Carbon. Further Google research comparing the two had the same conclusion. So now I have an unopened 120 on my living room floor that I need to return to Amazon, so I can repurchase the Debut Carbon, which was already on its way to my house yesterday! But I think I'll be happier in the long run. The fact that it comes with the $100 2M Red, and I would be buying an upgraded cartridge with the 120, was the deciding factor for me.

Just saw this auction up on ebay, not a bad deal if you can get it for a good price.  Pro-ject Debut III w/ speedbox II, phono box ii, and "2 Ortofon needles" currently at $174 w/ free shipping 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Ject-Debut-III-w-Pro-Ject-Phono-Box-II-USB-and-Pro-Ject-Speed-Box-II-/141284547248?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item20e5371ab0

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all another noob here.  I heard a friends setup and now I have the bug.  I have read through most of this thread (which is an awesome resource btw!) and I have already picked out some items to get started.  I just want to list them here and see if I'm missing/overlooking anything.

For starters, I already have a Yamaha HTR-5940 receiver that I am going to use.  It has no phono inputs, so I'll be picking up a pre-amp.  I also have a set of 4 Athena S.5 bookshelf speakers + center + sub.  No idea if these are good or not, I bought this all as a home theater setup for gaming/movies a few years ago.  After reading through the thread I understand that 2.1 is generally better than 5.1 for phono, and I can switch between the 2 easily on my receiver.  This will help get started and reduce some initial cost assuming there are no issues I am overlooking.

My friend has a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, and I liked what I heard, so I figured that's a good starting spot for me as well.  For pre-amp I'm going to pick up either the Pro-Ject phono box MM or the Cambridge Audio Azur 551P.

TLDR;

Already have:

Yamaha HTR 5940 receiver

Athena Speakers + sub

Planning to buy:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM or Cambridge Audio Azur 551P pre-amp

Am I on the correct path? Am I overlooking anything?

Thanks in advance!

Hello all another noob here.  I heard a friends setup and now I have the bug.  I have read through most of this thread (which is an awesome resource btw!) and I have already picked out some items to get started.  I just want to list them here and see if I'm missing/overlooking anything.

For starters, I already have a Yamaha HTR-5940 receiver that I am going to use.  It has no phono inputs, so I'll be picking up a pre-amp.  I also have a set of 4 Athena S.5 bookshelf speakers + center + sub.  No idea if these are good or not, I bought this all as a home theater setup for gaming/movies a few years ago.  After reading through the thread I understand that 2.1 is generally better than 5.1 for phono, and I can switch between the 2 easily on my receiver.  This will help get started and reduce some initial cost assuming there are no issues I am overlooking.

My friend has a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, and I liked what I heard, so I figured that's a good starting spot for me as well.  For pre-amp I'm going to pick up either the Pro-Ject phono box MM or the Cambridge Audio Azur 551P.

TLDR;

Already have:

Yamaha HTR 5940 receiver

Athena Speakers + sub

Planning to buy:

Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Pro-Ject Phono Box MM or Cambridge Audio Azur 551P pre-amp

Am I on the correct path? Am I overlooking anything?

Thanks in advance!

You've got it pretty covered.

The only thing I would pick you up on is that anything .1 is not as good for music as a proper 2 channel hifi amplifier, basically because of all the processing that goes on and that music isn't really what these units are primarily intended for. That said your Yamaha will be more musical than some and should do a perfectly good job for you.

I don't know the Athena speakers so can't comment and you have your friends system as a reference although you don't say what it is but a start is a start so enjoy

If it were my money I'd get the Cambridge phono stage in preference to the Project but that is my choice and might not be yours.

Make sure you have decent enough cable and that it's all positioned and set up correctly and enjoy.

You've got it pretty covered.

The only thing I would pick you up on is that anything .1 is not as good for music as a proper 2 channel hifi amplifier, basically because of all the processing that goes on and that music isn't really what these units are primarily intended for. That said your Yamaha will be more musical than some and should do a perfectly good job for you.

I don't know the Athena speakers so can't comment and you have your friends system as a reference although you don't say what it is but a start is a start so enjoy

If it were my money I'd get the Cambridge phono stage in preference to the Project but that is my choice and might not be yours.

Make sure you have decent enough cable and that it's all positioned and set up correctly and enjoy.

Awesome thanks for the reply.  Further down the road I may pick up a more appropriate recevier and maybe some speakers.  The Athenas have always sounded good to me for gaming and movies, but I understand that may not be the case for music, but they are a decent starting point.  Thanks again!

Nice! I'm moving soon and I'll get to set mine up. What cartridge did you get?

MusicDirect had an open box demo of this for $900:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-49318-rega-rp3-turntable-with-elys-cartridge.aspx

So the answer is an elys 2 cartridge. I really didn't research a bunch of different cartridges. I just kinda trust MusicDirect to sell quality gear.

There really wasn't a huge amount of savings on ebay so I just went with a store. Model seems to hold it's value pretty well.

MusicDirect had an open box demo of this for $900:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-49318-rega-rp3-turntable-with-elys-cartridge.aspx

So the answer is an elys 2 cartridge. I really didn't research a bunch of different cartridges. I just kinda trust MusicDirect to sell quality gear.

There really wasn't a huge amount of savings on ebay so I just went with a store. Model seems to hold it's value pretty well.

Sweet! I picked mine up around Christmas last year and I got the same cartridge as you. It was on sale at the time so I'm glad I picked it up, with the Canadian dollar being so shitty now the prices on them went up again.

• 1 month later...

This thread isn't working well enough!!

I've just received an email from Amazon UK showing me their best-selling turntables, every one of them a Crosley or Crosley type piece of cheap plastic record wrecking complete and utter cack

Head in hands and face a picture of complete disappointment.

Edit. Forgot to mention the only other product in the email was Nagaoka 102 Anti Static record sleeves. I think static will be the least of your worries after purchasing one of the recommended turntables.