Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

So, I read this article, but still might be confused. Will the following items work on a regular turntable?

Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers:http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp

Yamaha AV Receiver R-V1105:http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/r-v1105/

Thanks!

So, I read this article, but still might be confused. Will the following items work on a regular turntable?

Sony SS-B3000 Bookshelf Speakers:http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-B3000-Bookshelf-Speakers-Black/dp

Yamaha AV Receiver R-V1105:http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/r-v1105/

Thanks!

yes it will

So, why do you guys no recommend Stanton turntables?

My gf at the time bought me a T.62 which I've been using for years. I want to replace the cartridge for it, because I feel like I've been using it enough to need replacing (its going on 5 years old).

I've had no problems with it though, and I like how my system sounds.

Just curious why you say to avoid them?

So, why do you guys no recommend Stanton turntables?

My gf at the time bought me a T.62 which I've been using for years. I want to replace the cartridge for it, because I feel like I've been using it enough to need replacing (its going on 5 years old).

I've had no problems with it though, and I like how my system sounds.

Just curious why you say to avoid them?

Stanton like a lot of DJ table manufacturers make good and bad tables.

The bad news is the T62 is bad.

They are cheap plastic tables.

Sad to say it but this is true which alone wouldn't be it's biggest problem. The main problem is that it has a straight arm with a straight headshell, your cartridge should intersect with the record at 18 degrees which is why there are S shaped arms or straight arms with the headshell angled in at 18 degrees.

This sort of table is designed primarily for DJ use for cueing and scratching and not listening as they can never track accurately and the worst side effect of this is premature record wear, they are not as bad as a badly weighted Crosley or something like that but they do tend to make your cartridge go at a funny angle and over time wear the walls of the grooves on your records on one side and because of the cheap tonearm this is worse than on a decent DJ table with nice arm bearings.

KAB who are an authority on the daddy of the DJ table the Technics SL1200 wrote a very good article on it to try and stop people buying this sort of table when they didn't understand what they were buying.

https://www.kabusa.com/str8_doc.htm

I expect you were happier when you didn't know.

It has a digital out port on it... which is really odd, even for a cheap turntable. Why would it do analog->digital, then digital back to analog in the amp? Seems really strange.

Not that uncommon it converts to digital for the USB out and has the digital out port as well as the USB out. The analogue out should go nowhere the digital although it does have a built in phono stage that you can switch in and out so I expect all the electronics are on one board.

To be fair the digital out is one of it's plus points but like a lot of them the on board DAC is quite low quality and low bit/sample rate

I know its bad to track too heavy but is it bad to track too lightly? I have the basic U-Turn Orbit and noticed that the cartridge seemed to be tracking a little on the heavier side so I adjusted the counterweight back a little bit and made sure that it was hanging straight but I don't have a scale to measure the tracking force.  I was also wondering if the tacking force affects sound quality at all? Like will surface noise be more prevalent with lighter tracking and stuff like that.

Ok More stupid n00b questions. I have read this entire thread and several others in search of clarity in a headphone setup. If I am using a headphone amp does it require preamp as well? Also whether yay or nay, what would one recommend for the headphone setup. I would like to try and go tube. Still entry level as far as pricing but tube is a sound I've always preferred in guitar amp sound and I am going to explore it for my new hifi adventures. Thanks and any tangent advice as far as a headphone setup would be appreciated.

Ok I figured the preamp thing out it's yes. I'm a little burned out I've been trying to absorb a lot of info on this and sometimes completely forget what I have read the day before. But any setup suggestions would be helpful. Is the bellari vp130 a decent beginner setup, with the intention of adding a power amp of somewhat similar quality later? I'm running my debut carbon with ortofon 2m red through an old eighties technics sa120, to some Dayton audio b652s. Not ideal but it's what I'm able to afford so far. I'm just trying to plan my future steps up, and I figure if I can get an improved headphone experience while I work on the speaker setup it will help me enjoy some of the vinyl quality I'm missing now.

Ok I figured the preamp thing out it's yes. I'm a little burned out I've been trying to absorb a lot of info on this and sometimes completely forget what I have read the day before. But any setup suggestions would be helpful. Is the bellari vp130 a decent beginner setup, with the intention of adding a power amp of somewhat similar quality later? I'm running my debut carbon with ortofon 2m red through an old eighties technics sa120, to some Dayton audio b652s. Not ideal but it's what I'm able to afford so far. I'm just trying to plan my future steps up, and I figure if I can get an improved headphone experience while I work on the speaker setup it will help me enjoy some of the vinyl quality I'm missing now.

I've heard good things about the Bellari. Don't have one so can't really say.

For headphone amps, your best bet as far as affordability would be to go Schiit. The Magni 2 Uber would be about as good of an entry level headphone amp as you'll get, and for $150, it has great resale value and sound quality. It's not tube though - if you want to go tube, the Schiit Vali ($120) has subminiature tubes or the Valhalla 2 ($350) I imagine would be good next steps.

There are also a bunch of ~$100 tube headphone amps around. I picked up a Bravo Audio v1 Headphone Amp (they're sold on Amazon) for super cheap - there are 3 currently that run under $100. At first I was kind of lukewarm about it, but I think it hadn't been burnt in yet. Now I really do like it (though I have been thinking about upgrading). Their highest end one is called Bravo Ocean - looks pretty cool.  

I've also heard good things about the Little Dot 1+ which is on Amazon for $160 right now. 

Here's a great spot to do some research: http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/desktop-amps 

I know its bad to track too heavy but is it bad to track too lightly? I have the basic U-Turn Orbit and noticed that the cartridge seemed to be tracking a little on the heavier side so I adjusted the counterweight back a little bit and made sure that it was hanging straight but I don't have a scale to measure the tracking force.  I was also wondering if the tacking force affects sound quality at all? Like will surface noise be more prevalent with lighter tracking and stuff like that.

Firstly get a scale they cost next to nothing and you are asking for trouble not having one, plus how do you know it was tracking anywhere near right before you started adjusting things?

In some cases it can be worse to track too light because of the way the stylus sits in the groove and also because its easier to make it skip. And yes tracking force does affect sound quality, your stylus is designed to sit in the groove at a particular angle and depth which the tracking force is calculated to achieve.

Which cartridge is it? If it was one of their installed cartridges it should have been set to the correct tracking force at the factory.   

Which cartridge is it? If it was one of their installed cartridges it should have been set to the correct tracking force at the factory.

I would still always check it regardless, with any turntable unless you buy it from a local dealer who set it for you and your journey home isnt long the chances are the tracking weight will have moved in transit.

I dont know how many times i've heard people with a new factory set tables say the tracking force was out when they checked it.

It was an Ortofon Omega. I bought one pretty soon after their official site went up. I used it at that setting for while but I took a closer look at it and the body of the cartridge almost was hitting the turntable so I moved it back a bit. Maybe that cartridge is just supposed to ride that low but I'm not entirely sure. I was afraid that if a record was warped the body of it might rub against the record in some spots

In some cases it can be worse to track too light because of the way the stylus sits in the groove and also because its easier to make it skip. And yes tracking force does affect sound quality, your stylus is designed to sit in the groove at a particular angle and depth which the tracking force is calculated to achieve.

How would the counterweight affect the angle at which is tracked unless it was set askew?

I would still always check it regardless, with any turntable unless you buy it from a local dealer who set it for you and your journey home isnt long the chances are the tracking weight will have moved in transit.

I dont know how many times i've heard people with a new factory set tables say the tracking force was out when they checked it.

Agreed. I would probably trust U-Turn to get it right over other manufacturers, but always a good idea to check.

To the poster with the problem, you can pick up a digital scale on Amazon for around $12. It's worth it to make sure your tracking force is correct. You just need to find the manufacturer's suggested force for that cartridge.

Ok so with a technics sa120 receiver, it would be an improvement to add a preamp in the 150 dollar range and connect in the line out correct? Or would it only be negligible until I eliminate the technic entirely with a preamp and power amp. Therefore should I not even bother until I can get the preamp and power amp? Of the 150 range on the list in this topic which would you say is the best?

Best of the preamps listed. I'm looking at fairly slow piecemeal additions to my setup so I'm to do it in a way that will let me hear improvement at each step even if they are subtle, it thrills me every time I can hear even a tiny bit of nuance I never noticed before ... And just to gush modest mouse lonesome crowded west is currently blowing me away. I've listened to that Album for nearly twenty year on cd with headphones and my setup has shown me so many delicate and fascinating details in that production I've never heard before. It literally brings tears of joy just thinking about it.

Best of the preamps listed. I'm looking at fairly slow piecemeal additions to my setup so I'm to do it in a way that will let me hear improvement at each step even if they are subtle, it thrills me every time I can hear even a tiny bit of nuance I never noticed before ... And just to gush modest mouse lonesome crowded west is currently blowing me away. I've listened to that Album for nearly twenty year on cd with headphones and my setup has shown me so many delicate and fascinating details in that production I've never heard before. It literally brings tears of joy just thinking about it.

Same thing happened to me when I listened to The Wall on vinyl for the first time, as well as Isis - Wavering Radiant and Opeth's Deliverance album.

Unreal what vinyl can bring out. So weird.

Def grab a stylus gauge. I grabbed a Shure one from Amazon. I was hesitant because I was spending $30 and thought I would only use it once, but actually played with it a lot to find that sweet spot. Plus, you'll have that gauge handy whenever you upgrade to a new cart!