Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

I'm now thinking of going with the Rega RP3 and a Denon DL-110 cart. Might need to save for an extra month for it though. Worth it? Does the Denon work well with the RP3, or is the elys cart. better/a better match?

I'm now thinking of going with the Rega RP3 and a Denon DL-110 cart. Might need to save for an extra month for it though. Worth it? Does the Denon work well with the RP3, or is the elys cart. better/a better match?

Go with the Denon, it's an MC so is a different approach entirely to the elys

Anyone build their own wall mount for their turntable? I'm thinking of switching some of my art around to make room for a wall mount, but the premade ones are quite expensive.

Yes I did, it was dead easy and there's a photo of it around here somewhere, a sheet of glass and some 2x1 planed timber. I did it as a temporary measure about 5 years ago and it's still got a turntable on it.

I mounted mine in a corner so it had support on two sides.

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted this in small talk, but this would be a better thread to ask it in I guess.  

Hey guys!  So this turntable just popped up for sale locally, and for $400 CAD, it looks like a killer deal.  I'm just wondering, for those of you more knowledgable, what are the specific things I should be asking about it, to ensure it's in really good condition.  If I go to take a look at it, what are the types if things I should be looking for/at?

Thanks.

hfdRbw7.png

I'm thinking about picking this up, since it's a rather large discount.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/401566/MMF-51_Turntable

Do you have one of the stores local to demo it? Because the RP3 with Exact that a VC member is selling will blow that out of the water, if you can splurge for the extra cost. When I heard the MMF 5.1, I thought I wouldn't have paid any more than $600 for it - which isn't far off just the cost of a new Exact cart. 

Do you have one of the stores local to demo it? Because the RP3 with Exact that a VC member is selling will blow that out of the water, if you can splurge for the extra cost. When I heard the MMF 5.1, I thought I wouldn't have paid any more than $600 for it - which isn't far off just the cost of a new Exact cart. 

It's local only, but I'd have to drive up to Cleveland to check it out. Worth it for the deal, if it's good. I'd probably use the savings for a better cartridge.

It's local only, but I'd have to drive up to Cleveland to check it out. Worth it for the deal, if it's good. I'd probably use the savings for a better cartridge.

You'd probably need a $4-500 cart on it to start to touch the exact/rp3 combo, something like a 2m bronze or black. I think you need to consider the MMF 5.1 as a $500 table with a $100 cart, and the RP3 as a $900 table and the Exact as a $500 cart. Of course the savings come new vs used, but I fear you're totally underestimating how great of a deal that RP3 is. Hell, even just the RB303 tonearm new is $600. 

You'd probably need a $4-500 cart on it to start to touch the exact/rp3 combo, something like a 2m bronze or black. I think you need to consider the MMF 5.1 as a $500 table with a $100 cart, and the RP3 as a $900 table and the Exact as a $500 cart. Of course the savings come new vs used, but I fear you're totally underestimating how great of a deal that RP3 is. Hell, even just the RB303 tonearm new is $600. 

I know the RP3 is a hell of a table, but right now I'm looking more at cost and ease of getting the table. I might drive up and look at it this weekend, since my heart is set on the Rega, but this just seemed like a really good deal for a new table.

I know the RP3 is a hell of a table, but right now I'm looking more at cost and ease of getting the table. I might drive up and look at it this weekend, since my heart is set on the Rega, but this just seemed like a really good deal for a new table.

It would be nice if your dealer had even a base RP3/Elys combo set up you could compare the two side by side. The Exact is much more detailed (although that can be both good and bad of course) and punchier in the base than the Elys. I found the Elys to be a big disappointment and skipped right up to the Exact, but would be a nice comparison.

Would a Rega RP1 w/ a Denon DL-110 be a lateral move from my current AT PL-120? I'm in need of the upgrade I feel like, but I don't think I'm going to have enough cash for a major overhaul until my student loans are paid off (should be by the spring). Worth it for a year or so upgrade, or just save and wait?

It's going to be an upgrade, but how much of an upgrade is worth the cost is what you need to consider. The LP-120 isn't a bad record player that's damaging your records or anything, so there's not urgent need to upgrade. 

My perspective on it factors in a few things like.

1. What's the resale value of your LP-120?

2. Is it a market that you can find a buyer fairly easy to cover some of the cost of an RP1?

3. What are you paying for an RP1? Is it used so that when you upgrade in a year or so, you can basically sell it for as much if not just slightly less than you paid? 

If you're thinking of buying the RP1 new, I'd say don't. Then you're eating both the depreciation on your LP-120 and the RP1 for a not-so-major upgrade that is only lasting you a year. But if you can get the RP1 used for a decent price, and sell your LP-120 for a decent price, you might as well go for it. You'll pay a little bit out of pocket for the RP1 upgrade vs what you sell your LP-120 for, but you'll recoup most if not all of it when you upgrade again and sell the RP1. 

My take on it at least. 

I'd need to research the resale value of the PL120 in my area, since it'd be a pain to ship. I've seen used Rega RP1's in good shape going for less than $300 on ebay and usaudiomart, so might be worth it if I can get around $180 or more for the AT. I'd probably keep the RP1 as a second table once I upgrade.

I'd need to research the resale value of the PL120 in my area, since it'd be a pain to ship. I've seen used Rega RP1's in good shape going for less than $300 on ebay and usaudiomart, so might be worth it if I can get around $180 or more for the AT. I'd probably keep the RP1 as a second table once I upgrade.

Just sold one through craigslist for $170. Had several replies so could have probably asked for $10-15 more. Sounds like you're in the right ballpark.

• 2 weeks later...

I read something about needles needing a "break in" period when they're new. I recently replaced my Ortofon Omega needle and still noticed a fair amount of sibilance and distortion. Is that common or might it be an alignment issue?

You shouldn't be getting distortion from a new cartridge; that's got nothing to do with "break in". I would check the alignment first, as well as your tracking force. Also check VTA while you're at it. If all of that seems correct, you may have just gotten a defective cartridge.

You shouldn't be getting distortion from a new cartridge; that's got nothing to do with "break in". I would check the alignment first, as well as your tracking force. Also check VTA while you're at it. If all of that seems correct, you may have just gotten a defective cartridge.

Thank you! I did just realign it as it was slightly off and it has slightly approved. The way Amazon packaged it caused the stylus to become loose in the box so there's a possibility it could be damaged. I'll play a few more records and see if it's still a recurring problem then look at exchanging it.

Ok,so I ended up getting a replacement and am having the same problem (sibilance/distortion) so it must be something wrong on my end. The tracking force is correct and the aligntment is right to the best of my knowledge. The cantilever is paralllel/even with the grid. What is the VTA?