Beginner’s Guide to Turntables & Hi–Fi *READ 1st PAGE BEFORE POSTING NEW THREADS / BASIC QUESTIONS*

Ok,so I ended up getting a replacement and am having the same problem so it must be something wrong on my end. The tracking force is correct and the aligntment is right to the best of my knowledge. The cantilever is paralllel/even with the grid. What is the VTA?

VTA is short for Vertical Tracking Angle. To keep it simple, when your stylus is lowered onto a record, your tonearm should be level when you look at it from the side, and not sitting at an angle. Since different cartridges have different heights, sometimes you will need to adjust the height of the tonearm to compensate. But not all tonearms have an adjustable VTA.

It would help to have a little more information about your turntable, and the rest of your set up. Without further details, it's difficult to narrow down what might be going on.

VTA is short for Vertical Tracking Angle. To keep it simple, when your stylus is lowered onto a record, your tonearm should be level when you look at it from the side, and not sitting at an angle. Since different cartridges have different heights, sometimes you will need to adjust the height of the tonearm to compensate. But not all tonearms have an adjustable VTA.

It would help to have a little more information about your turntable, and the rest of your set up. Without further details, it's difficult to narrow down what might be going on.

My turntable is a basic Uturn Orbit. Im using a Pyle preamp, Lepai amp (both are temporary but have never caused problems before and sound fine if i play my phone through them), and sony speakers.

Are you talking about the Pyle compact phono preamp that sells for around $14? Because that, plus the Lepai amp aren't likely to give you great sound. But it seems like you already had the Uturn for a little while, and it was sounding fine before. Is that right? I don't know what to tell you. It's possible that you've just gotten used to it, and are now beginning to pick up on the shortcomings of your system, but that's just a guess.

Are you talking about the Pyle compact phono preamp that sells for around $14? Because that, plus the Lepai amp aren't likely to give you great sound. But it seems like you already had the Uturn for a little while, and it was sounding fine before. Is that right? I don't know what to tell you. It's possible that you've just gotten used to it, and are now beginning to pick up on the shortcomings of your system, but that's just a guess.

That could be it, I've never used anything but those components, which I know are far from ideal, but I've never noticed it before. I'll definitely upgrade what I can this coming holiday season. Until then I'll fiddle with the alignment and see if I can improve it any

I have a question for you guys. Can a worn-out needle lead to high-end distortion?

Im noticing that lately I've been getting a lot of high end white noise kind of on a lot of my records. Sort of like a static sound. Just enough to be noticeable.

I have a Stanton T.62 and I want to replace the needle, but I'm not at all sure of what to replace it with.

Some people have recommended an entire new cartridge, but I'm not sure if that's necessary or would be helpful?

I know my needle has to be worn because its 5 years old and I listen to lots of records. Would a simple Shure replacement one work fine?

Yo yo. Not really new to the game but have what may be considered a dumb question so figures I would start here. I have a ProJect RPM and I get some motor hum that I can hear even though the motor isn't connected to the unit (I'm guessing it's being transmitted through the shelf that everything is sitting on. What are some good ways to reduce said motor hum? I was looking at an in-line RCA noise filter, would that work? Anyone here use one?

Yo yo. Not really new to the game but have what may be considered a dumb question so figures I would start here. I have a ProJect RPM and I get some motor hum that I can hear even though the motor isn't connected to the unit (I'm guessing it's being transmitted through the shelf that everything is sitting on. What are some good ways to reduce said motor hum? I was looking at an in-line RCA noise filter, would that work? Anyone here use one?

If it's a wooden shelf that it's all sitting on then yes it could well be being transmitted through that and if that's the case then you need some sort of physical isolation between the turntable and the shelf, that said Project's can be a bit on the hummy side so try putting the turntable on the floor or on a stool next to shelf if the cables won't reach the floor and see if that improves things.

There are all sorts of things you can do isolation wise but ideally the turntable and amplifier don't want to be on the same shelf and the speakers definitely don't want to be on there as well.

On the subject of Projects that hum regardless there are a few pages on the web about fixes etc,

I have a question for you guys. Can a worn-out needle lead to high-end distortion?

Im noticing that lately I've been getting a lot of high end white noise kind of on a lot of my records. Sort of like a static sound. Just enough to be noticeable.

I have a Stanton T.62 and I want to replace the needle, but I'm not at all sure of what to replace it with.

Some people have recommended an entire new cartridge, but I'm not sure if that's necessary or would be helpful?

I know my needle has to be worn because its 5 years old and I listen to lots of records. Would a simple Shure replacement one work fine?

Yes it sounds like you could benefit from a new needle and if it's that worn I doubt it's doing your records a lot of good.

Either replace the needle in the cartridge that's mounted like for like or take the opportunity for an upgrade, make sure you know how to set up a cartridge if you are upgrading though as it needs to be right to get the best out of your investment.

If it's a wooden shelf that it's all sitting on then yes it could well be being transmitted through that and if that's the case then you need some sort of physical isolation between the turntable and the shelf, that said Project's can be a bit on the hummy side so try putting the turntable on the floor or on a stool next to shelf if the cables won't reach the floor and see if that improves things.

There are all sorts of things you can do isolation wise but ideally the turntable and amplifier don't want to be on the same shelf and the speakers definitely don't want to be on there as well.

On the subject of Projects that hum regardless there are a few pages on the web about fixes etc,

Thanks, that's what I thought. It is a wooden shelf but the only thing on it is the turntable itself. The amp/preamp are with the rest of my home theater stuff on another shelf in a different unit. Speakers are freestanding on the floor. I'm wondering if I get a small rubber or cork mat to put under the motor and the feet of the turntable if that would decouple them enough to cut down on some of the noise.

Thanks, that's what I thought. It is a wooden shelf but the only thing on it is the turntable itself. The amp/preamp are with the rest of my home theater stuff on another shelf in a different unit. Speakers are freestanding on the floor. I'm wondering if I get a small rubber or cork mat to put under the motor and the feet of the turntable if that would decouple them enough to cut down on some of the noise.

I misread then, if the turntable's on a different shelf it's less likely to be transferring through the shelf and more likely to be a noisy motor.

You can move the turntable around and stick stuff under it to try and see if you can improve it but I'd read up on the motor hum issue as well.

I'm going to buy a new set of speakers some time in November/December. Does anyone have a <$500 or so set they can recommend? I'm running out of a vintage Marantz 2225 and the Pro-Ject Carbon Debut with the stock Ortofon cartridge if it makes a difference as far as pairing goes. How about sales? Does Best Buy or somebody run a kickass Black Friday sale? Bookshelf/stand or floor speakers are fine, I'm entertaining my bedroom so it isn't a big room that needs big speakers.

I'm going to buy a new set of speakers some time in November/December. Does anyone have a <$500 or so set they can recommend? I'm running out of a vintage Marantz 2225 and the Pro-Ject Carbon Debut with the stock Ortofon cartridge if it makes a difference as far as pairing goes. How about sales? Does Best Buy or somebody run a kickass Black Friday sale? Bookshelf/stand or floor speakers are fine, I'm entertaining my bedroom so it isn't a big room that needs big speakers.

I'm sure Best Buy will, but it'll probably be on 5.1 set-ups and such. I've heard nothing but good things about the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's, and they are well within your budget.

I'm sure Best Buy will, but it'll probably be on 5.1 set-ups and such. I've heard nothing but good things about the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1's, and they are well within your budget.

I have the Diamond 10.1s and a Debut Carbon Esprit. I'm very happy with the sound. As far as bang for your buck, and you can read reviews about them, they are very good for the money. The newer version of them is the Diamond 220 - you might find good deals on old stock of 10.1s, but possibly even some deals on new 220s. As well, they are a well-known brand, so if you do plan to upgrade in a few years, I feel like with good care you can resell for a decent amount. 

Check out US Audio Mart too - you can probably get some sweet sales on demo speakers, or used ones from audiophiles who have upgraded. I bet some sweet vintage speakers would sound great with the Marantz amp. 

I have the Diamond 10.1s and a Debut Carbon Esprit. I'm very happy with the sound. As far as bang for your buck, and you can read reviews about them, they are very good for the money. The newer version of them is the Diamond 220 - you might find good deals on old stock of 10.1s, but possibly even some deals on new 220s. As well, they are a well-known brand, so if you do plan to upgrade in a few years, I feel like with good care you can resell for a decent amount. 

Check out US Audio Mart too - you can probably get some sweet sales on demo speakers, or used ones from audiophiles who have upgraded. I bet some sweet vintage speakers would sound great with the Marantz amp.

Hoping to get a new amp soon, 25 watts doesn't seem to be enough to push any speakers well. Is there a specific speaker stand/material they should be made of that should go with those? It'll be sitting on a carpet floor if that makes a difference.

I know that stands and speaker placement makes a huge difference, but I have really limited space. My speakers sit on top of a 4 x 4 Ikea Expedit, upside down so that the tweeters are lower, with a bit of blue sticky tack to limit vibration/resonance. I know for a fact it's not ideal - a friend who has the same speakers with a crappier set up has the speakers on stands at appropriate distances and they sound way better. So I'm not the guy to talk about stands, but I do know they will make a difference.

25w should drive most bookshelf speakers unless you're trying to annoy your neighbors with your volume. 

Unless you're willing to spend decent money on stands (which I'm assuming not based on your speaker budget), your only real options are wall mount or a composite wood. I don't think you'll find metal stands for much under $100. Metal I think is the preferred, and then filled up with a dense material like sand or silver sand.

But again, at your budget I think you're better getting stands that just work (look at ebay for Sanus brand), and if you have the spare income put them toward better speakers not better stands. 

25w should drive most bookshelf speakers unless you're trying to annoy your neighbors with your volume. 

Unless you're willing to spend decent money on stands (which I'm assuming not based on your speaker budget), your only real options are wall mount or a composite wood. I don't think you'll find metal stands for much under $100. Metal I think is the preferred, and then filled up with a dense material like sand or silver sand.

But again, at your budget I think you're better getting stands that just work (look at ebay for Sanus brand), and if you have the spare income put them toward better speakers not better stands.

What's a "nice" set of stands cost?

25W is more than enough especially in a small room. It's all about moving air, speaker sensitivity and the load your speaker makes on your amplifier so you only need big outputs if you want to fill a large field.

I have probably 14W a side in my hifi and that's more than enough for the whole street to sing along should I feel the need but I have 250W a side in my AV system because A) some manufacturers feel the need for this sort of power, people think they need it and it's fashionable with AV system buyers, and the front speakers on my AV system are not particularly sensitive and make a heavy load on the amplifier so need a lot of power to make them work properly.

Your Marantz was made before the Japanese power wars so has a sensible amount of power and needs a suitable speaker, the good news is a lot of decent modern speakers are more than capable of being driven by that amplifier, it's the cheap crap that reckon they can handle half a kilowatt a side that can't.

If the size of your amplifier makes you feel inadequate in any way just quote the output as sufficient and leave it at that.

As for stands look out some 2nd hand ones, there's not a lot that can go wrong with a speaker stand other than if the owner decided to use one as an axle stand for his truck

What's a "nice" set of stands cost?

New? Most stands will run you about $200 I think for the name-brand manufacturer-suggested, like Wharfedale's, B&W's, etc. I'd expect to pay around $100 though for a good quality metal stand. And if you buy speakers new from an audio dealer, they'll usually throw the stands in for a good deal, like 50% off. Hell,even the magnolia centers at best buy have room to haggle. They tried throwing in a pair of the $50 (each, and for free) wall-mount shelves when I was demoing some speakers there. 

New? Most stands will run you about $200 I think for the name-brand manufacturer-suggested, like Wharfedale's, B&W's, etc. I'd expect to pay around $100 though for a good quality metal stand. And if you buy speakers new from an audio dealer, they'll usually throw the stands in for a good deal, like 50% off. Hell,even the magnolia centers at best buy have room to haggle. They tried throwing in a pair of the $50 (each, and for free) wall-mount shelves when I was demoing some speakers there.

So Best Buy would be a good place to try?

So Best Buy would be a good place to try?

Eh...if you have one with a magnolia center nearby it's worth checking out, but they won't have any better pricing on speakers than a smaller local store. Go support one if you can. Best buy won't stock good stands if that's all you're looking for, that one you're better online shopping. I had a pair of Sanus stands for my old speaker that I got on ebay for like $25, worked great. 

I now have B&W's stands that my dealer threw in with my speaker purchase (all for the same price as best buy wanted for my 685 S2's). Is there any noticeable difference between them? I would say just barely, but not even close to $200 worth if I would have had to buy the B&W stands at retail. 

Eh...if you have one with a magnolia center nearby it's worth checking out, but they won't have any better pricing on speakers than a smaller local store. Go support one if you can. Best buy won't stock good stands if that's all you're looking for, that one you're better online shopping. I had a pair of Sanus stands for my old speaker that I got on ebay for like $25, worked great. 

I now have B&W's stands that my dealer threw in with my speaker purchase (all for the same price as best buy wanted for my 685 S2's). Is there any noticeable difference between them? I would say just barely, but not even close to $200 worth if I would have had to buy the B&W stands at retail.

So do I need to ask for the speaker stands to be thrown in or is it something they'll offer?

So do I need to ask for the speaker stands to be thrown in or is it something they'll offer?

First off, what speakers are you looking at buying from them? I can probably refer you to someone else in the Phoenix area based on brand.

If you're dead set on best buy, I've had some good run-ins with the guys at the magnolia center at Chandler Mall area. Demo some speakers, talk about how much you love them and lead them on like you're going to buy then, then bring up the question of stands or mounting. Ask what options they have, etc, then when they walk you around to the section and show you their options, say something like "these seem like they would work, but it really puts the speakers out of my budget now...might have to hold off and think a bit on how I'm going to make this work". At that point, if they have the margin to do it, they'll likely offer to make a deal on the stands.