RIP Jeff Hanneman of Slayer

you know when i was 11 or 12 if i got in trouble, i wouldn't get grounded. my mom took away my slayer records. when "reign in blood" came out, that album raised the bar for metal everywhere. to this day it's still one of the best thrash metal albums written to date.  if there is a god, he truly "hates us all" by taking away one of the greatest metal guitarists of our lifetime. I'll be drinking a Heineken after work in his honor. 

also to think, this thread didn't even get a whole page really says something about this forum. fuck. 

Very sad. I remember back in the 80s I had to mailorder Reign in Blood from Sweden, and I remember the excitement when it finally arrived, when I had that awesome cover in my hands and when I put the record on the turntable, dropped the needle and those snarling first chords of Angel of Death burst through the speakers. I remember I had this thrash buddy at the time and we were constantly fighting when playing air guitar because both of us wanted to be Hanneman (left channel) and then we'd both be Hanneman and we'd mosh and headbang to this record relentlessly. I remember we knew a couple of dudes that were in a marching band and we tried for weeks to talk them into getting their band to play Postmortem during the parade on the Norwegian national day, but sadly we were unsuccessful in our endeavours. And also I remember countless "volume wars" between my old man and me (he'd play George Jones, I'd play Slayer) and my poor mom was caught somewhere in the middle, until she'd had enough and confiscated both our records. Those were some good times that Hanneman wrote the soundtrack to.

Very sad. I remember back in the 80s I had to mailorder Reign in Blood from Sweden, and I remember the excitement when it finally arrived, when I had that awesome cover in my hands and when I put the record on the turntable, dropped the needle and those snarling first chords of Angel of Death burst through the speakers. I remember I had this thrash buddy at the time and we were constantly fighting when playing air guitar because both of us wanted to be Hanneman (left channel) and then we'd both be Hanneman and we'd mosh and headbang to this record relentlessly. I remember we knew a couple of dudes that were in a marching band and we tried for weeks to talk them into getting their band to play Postmortem during the parade on the Norwegian national day, but sadly we were unsuccessful in our endeavours. And also I remember countless "volume wars" between my old man and me (he'd play George Jones, I'd play Slayer) and my poor mom was caught somewhere in the middle, until she'd had enough and confiscated both our records. Those were some good times that Hanneman wrote the soundtrack to.

In a weird stroke of irony, George Jones also just died. Who else did you and your dad listen to, so I can make some prop bets in death pools?

Shit, shit news.. This guy taught me how to tremelo pick really fast up and down the high E.   ;) 
Real shock reading this this morning.

Oh yeah, FUCK Westboro Baptist. 
http://www.heavy.com/news/2013/05/westboro-baptist-church-offensive-tweet-jeff-hannemans-death-slayer-guitarist/