Is It Weird To Collect w/o A Record Player?

no, support the bands... buying records is along the lines of band shirts, pins, patches, and such... its a great way to support the bands you love post napster

WTF is "post napster"? Like since you can't illegally download their music with ease you should now buy it on a format you can't listen to?

Friggin' OP, just go get a table. This is like buying iPhone apps and not owning an iPhone.

Supporting bands aside, you can wear a damn shirt if you have a torso. That's a dumb comparison.

I am sitting here in controlthebleeding's room...2x4 expedit almost filled and like 4 boxes of 7"s with no turntable in sight.

What a McAsshole. :P

WTF is "post napster"? Like since you can't illegally download their music with ease you should now buy it on a format you can't listen to?

Friggin' OP, just go get a table. This is like buying iPhone apps and not owning an iPhone.

Supporting bands aside, you can wear a damn shirt if you have a torso. That's a dumb comparison.

Case and Point, its like surfing before you swag.

Everyone knows you catch a wave then swag surf

I think maybe collecting with no goal to ever buy a record player would be weird.  Buying them with the intention to listen to them at some point seems normal to me.

Agreed! I think I had around 20 vinyl when I got a really cheap record player. I can't afford good set up at this point, but it will be the first thing I get once I'm done with my education. So yea, not weird in my eyes if your intend is to get a good set up one day

Well I guess I'm a freak show then. I started collecting a 2-3 years ago, but haven't got a turntable yet. Part of it is timing...bought a house last year, etc, and I will only get a setup that I'll be happy with for a long time. I'm waiting to see what the first buyers think of the U-turn audio stuff, otherwise I'll go for a Pro-ject Carbon.

I haven't been in a hurry because I can listen to most anything on my Rhapsody subscription anywhere(Sonos rules for home use).

And to cement my status as the biggest-loser-on-VC-without-a-turntable...........I even have a Vault subscription :o

It's not weird in the sense that it's uncommon, because it isn't. It's just weird in the sense that it's such a quirky hipster thing to do*, especially if you don't plan on purchasing a turntable at some point, or only intend to purchase a crosley.

You know what sucks? The fact that there is always going to be an extremely weak used market for any post-2000 vinyl release or repressing, because aside from the fact that many titles are already super limited, we now have copies purchased by collectors without turntables who thought it was okay to stack them on top of their space heater so they could show them off to their buddies, or kids who wanted to hear that $400 copy of Deja they scored on eBay on their $82 Crosley, which is now groove worn to high hell because they thought it would be cool to listen to Me vs. Maradona Vs. Elvis 7 times in a row at 78 RPM with 3 nickels taped to the arm.

Please invest in a good setup. Please.

* I understand not all of you are hipsters, and I understand some of you are actually trying to save up for a decent table while snagging a few good releases. There was a period of a few years between the 3rd and 6th grades where I didn't have a turntable either and was saving up for a new one (took a while, decided a DVD player was a bigger priority) but I still made a very small handful of purchases.