Is It Weird To Collect w/o A Record Player?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what you guys think about someone collecting records without actually owning a record player.

I have a couple close friends that let me bring my newest additions over to listen to whenever I want, which is awesome. I currently don't have enough money to buy an entire setup without breaking the bank (poor college kid) but I can't help myself when I see a band I love selling a 7" for $8 with a free MP3 download considering the MP3 is $6 sold separately.

How did you get started collecting? Do you think it's weird to love records as much as I do without even owning a machine to play them on?

- FSG

I guess I would judge how "weird" it is by how long it goes on for. Just for the fact that records nowadays aren't that cheap, so if you're spending money on a good amount of records, and like them, then I wouldn't see why you wouldn't want to save up and buy a player to listen to them. Not everyone starts out with a $2k set up, everyone starts a cruddy >$100 player which is probably what you wanna be looking for. Listening to records is all the fun of owning them for me, such a tactile and unmatchable experience. You'll probably love it

It's not a big deal to buy records before you have a set up. Unless you get a set up from various garage sales + thrift stores, they get really expensive, fast. I had probably between 20 and 30 records before i had everything I Needed. Even if everyone said it was weird, just do what you like. Many of us on here are poor and in college. I grabbed my setup in pieces and by blind luck. Now's a good time to start looking around more actively, yard and garage sales.

I own about 50 vinyl records and I didn't own a player till I had about 10. I am one of those people that will spend $50 on a record and spin it on a $100 player. I am cheap when it comes to buying needles which isn't good cause it can damage the vinyl surface, but I would rather spend $15 on a vinyl than $15 on a new needle.

I think maybe collecting with no goal to ever buy a record player would be weird.  Buying them with the intention to listen to them at some point seems normal to me.

This is what I did. I had about 100 or so records before I got my first table. My parents had one that we used to use when I was very young but it had been stored in the garage for about 20 years and I'm pretty sure it needed a needle and still not sure if it even powers on.

I stated off collecting metallica albums on vinyl and rarer presses of albums that i liked........most were sealed and I only ever bought for the ''collecting'' purpose....never intended to play...... So hoarding I suppose

I then learnt that this was retarded and sold a heap of shit to buy a turn table....... Now all those rarer presses are unsealed and get played........ Stopped buying metallica vinyl and started getting right into listening to many different bands.

So it's weird..... But I know where your are coming from

Is it weird to collect cars if you don't have a license?  Is it weird to collect comics if you're illiterate?  The answer you're searching for is "yes".  That being said, you're supporting bands you like (WTF? Bands are charging $8 at a show for a 7"?  Really???) and there's value in that.  And if there is an endgame of you eventually owning a record player, that works, too. 

Is it weird to collect cars if you don't have a license? Is it weird to collect comics if you're illiterate? The answer you're searching for is "yes". That being said, you're supporting bands you like (WTF? Bands are charging $8 at a show for a 7"? Really???) and there's value in that. And if there is an endgame of you eventually owning a record player, that works, too.

Buying merch at shows is the best way to get money directly to the band. They receive more profit percentage from selling that stuff than any other outlet such as CDs, LPs and mp3s distributed through their label.

It just seems to make sense to me. A lot of bands are now offering free MP3 downloads with the purchase of their 7". Why wouldn't I want to do that? You get the best of both worlds.

I was talking to my father about my new hobby last night and he pulls out a box from the garage with 8-10 records, so now I'm pretty excited! He said they've been in there for years and it's really hot so they might be warped (I think that's the proper terminology), but still. He has Bob Marley "Legend", The Doors, The Beatles, and The Rolling Stones. Definitely something to keep the collection building. I think I'm going to start saving up for a player of my own ASAP. 

Thanks for all the replies guys! I've always been extremely passionate about music and have found an outlet that I don't feel the need to download the music illegally online. If I take care of them, I will have these records for the rest of my life. That's just a feeling you don't get with digital downloads.