Anyone here speak French?

I'm trying to learn and hoping to find someone who can answer a few questions for time to time. 

I'm using some software (Duolingo specifically), but I can't ask software no questions. Alternatively, if anyone else wants to try and learn we can use this thread to have 1st grade level conversations 3 to 4 months from now.

EDIT: I'm running out the door at work and did not search for an existing thread first. Sorry, but feel free to merge. 

I took French in highschool. It's very similar to Spanish (the language of my people, although I can understand the jest of it, I can't speak it fluently)

Did you know Entendu means 'sound', so the name Deja Entendu is like Deja Vu in a "something you thought you heard before" sense.

AKA super pretension.

Well thanks guys. Today was day one, seems tricky. The way the verbs work is confusing but Im sure it'll just take a lot of practice. The one thing that was really tricky was it seemed like in some cases the un, une, le, les and what have you were pronounced. Other times they were written but not pronounced. Is that right or could I just not hear them?

For clarity, the app wrote everything and I can click to hear the phrase spoken.

Well thanks guys. Today was day one, seems tricky. The way the verbs work is confusing but Im sure it'll just take a lot of practice. The one thing that was really tricky was it seemed like in some cases the un, une, le, les and what have you were pronounced. Other times they were written but not pronounced. Is that right or could I just not hear them?

For clarity, the app wrote everything and I can click to hear the phrase spoken.

when i was learning how to write in french, my tata (auntie) got me this to help with conjugating verbs:

http://www.amazon.com/Bescherelle-Conjugaison-Pour-French-Edition/dp/2218951983

i'm also pretty good at math so for me, figuring out the formulas for various verbs was like memorizing math formulas.

as far as the indefinite and definite articles, i'm pretty sure you are just not hearing them pronounced since in every day language, not a lot of emphasis is put on those sounds/accents.  if i'm speaking really casually though, i might not always use them.  depends on the phrase, situation, etc.  i don't know anything about that app but i'm assuming since it's educational, they wouldn't drop important bits of grammar from the teacher's speech.

there are also cases where if the next word starts with a vowel, you make a connection and it's even less likely you will pick up on a clear cut definite article.  for example:

l'étoile or les étoiles = lay-twal or lays-ay-twal.

as opposed to la femme or les femmes = la fam or lay fam

not sure if that's what you were asking...

Yeah, thanks. That pretty much clears it up for me. There is a "slow" button where you can hear the same phrase but they emphasize each part, so that has been helpful. It seems impossible to be able to pick up all the sounds for me at this point, reading it is much easier. 

But hey, just starting I'm not expecting too much yet. I spent the weekend in Montreal and nothing makes you feel more like a dumb American than only knowing one language. Gonna try and fix that. 

Thanks for the book. Will pick it up!

ah good!  and good luck learning.

i've been to montreal before.  (watched the kings play the habs at bell centre!).  french there is a little different.  like they don't call a chocolate croissant "pain au chocolat".  i think it was called a chocolatine...  there's other differences here and there, but ya, if you know the language, you can still get by just fine.

I took French for two years, right up until this past Fall semester. I might not remember a lot of the words that I learned, but I do still remember most of the grammar/mechanics. It seems as though there are at least some French-Canadians here, though, so I should definitely take the back burner in terms of your choices. Haha

was bout to throw your name out there

ha.  well, merci et bonjour à toi.

Alternatively, if anyone else wants to try and learn we can use this thread to have 1st grade level conversations 3 to 4 months from now.

just looked back at the beginning of the thread and lol'd at this.

it definitely does help if you find people to practice with.

French in Montreal/All of Quebec is a dialect called Québécois which like Avery said has a lot of similarities but also a lot of differences from Traditional French. You're probably learning Traditional French because it is used worldwide where as Québécois is only in Quebec. In case anyone cared.

French in Montreal/All of Quebec is a dialect called Québécois which like Avery said has a lot of similarities but also a lot of differences from Traditional French. You're probably learning Traditional French because it is used worldwide where as Québécois is only in Quebec. In case anyone cared.

I know they are different, learning anything feels like a step in the right direction. Is the language straight different, or just the pronunciation and some of colloquialisms? Will the written word be the same or close?

Also, I'm much better at word recognition when reading than hearing. Normal right? 

I know they are different, learning anything feels like a step in the right direction. Is the language straight different, or just the pronunciation and some of colloquialisms? Will the written word be the same or close?

Also, I'm much better at word recognition when reading than hearing. Normal right? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French that'll explain the differences better than I ever could but I believe it is a lot in the pronunciation, although I know that when I went to france and tried speaking Quebecois I got a lot of weird looks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French that'll explain the differences better than I ever could but I believe it is a lot in the pronunciation, although I know that when I went to france and tried speaking Quebecois I got a lot of weird looks.

ya, that's a helpful link.

i'm in the same boat, actually, with word recognition being easier than hearing, so i think it's normal.  for me, it's mostly because i do a lot more reading and writing than i do speaking and listening in my everyday life.  i communicate with relatives, government agencies, etc via FB, emails and letters and have no prob with it.  i used to be a lot better with hearing when i was in school and my cousins visited more frequently.  as it is, my dad doesn't speak french so while it was my first language (thanks to my mom), it took a back seat to english once i started school.  it's a similar situation for my husband.  he's also french but spent most of his life in america so while he understands conversational french, he didn't pick it up much more than that so we don't speak it in the home to each other.  we'll probably only do things like refer to the trash as "la poubelle", tea towels in the kitchen as "torchons" and maybe say something private in public using french.

when i was in quebec, i spoke french most of the time with no problem.  when i happened upon québécois words i didn't recognize, which was infrequent, i just asked in english.  i remember getting a coffee and a pastry in quebec city for breakfast and reading the paper in french though and that was nice.  i even saved this article...  :(

photo_zpsc7997368.jpg