PO: Dads - Brush Your Teeth, Again ;)

Math rock is accurate in strange time signature execution not awkward. My Crass Patch isn't anything near math rock though.

I think defining songs by genre is a little excessive. Can we at least agree that Dads has some math rock influence?

Also, strange =/= awkward? Counting in 7/4 was not the most fun thing I ever had to do in band. It was quite awkward. And strange.

I think defining songs by genre is a little excessive. Can we at least agree that Dads has some math rock influence?

Also, strange =/= awkward? Counting in 7/4 was not the most fun thing I ever had to do in band. It was quite awkward. And strange.

Yeah I was in band for 10 years or whatever. When something is right it's never awkward. You're the one that brought genres up :P

No Dads songs are in any weird time signatures though, just sped up and slowed down normal stuff.

I like Dads, but they're bottom tier compared to the other records BWM has put out.

Yup, pretty much everything BWM puts out is dope as hell. BWM is done with Dads though, there was a personal falling out between Dads/TWIABP and they don't talk anymore. Derrick addressed it once and basically said "We were tight bros for awhile, now we aren't and it makes me really sad."

That Cardinal Cardinal ep was a huge bummer. Especially since my copy has a ton of skips and pops. Not that I would ever spin it again.

I wear my DADS "Bane" style hoodie like every day though.

Wait...somebody actually finds their twitter funny?

And Shit Twins is the only song I ever listen to by these guys.  Its been over a year since I've listened through Radass or BYTA.  However, I wear my NASA tie-dye Dads shirt all the time still.  

Yeah, Shit Twins rules. My Crass Patch too, everything else is ehhhhhhhh.

I haven't read their twitter but I can imagine what it's like it feels terrible.

For the record I wasn't implying everything else on BWM pales in comparison, apologies if it came off that way. Also, if you guys want to rip this band apart please do it in the dedicated Shit on Bands thread. Blowing up this thread with your negative opinions is counterintuitive to the discussion at large. At least you have rad apparel. Silver linings and such.

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/70925-shit-on-bands-here/page-23

I'm relatively new to Dads (first heard of them when Radass came out), and this whole scene in general. I've discovered a bunch of bands that I'm really excited about (Dads, TWIABP, Hotelier, You Blew It!, etc). I'm old enough that I was in college when Mineral, Promise Ring, and that crowd was at their peak in 1995-96. It's exciting to see so many people making great music that keeps that sound alive.

Referring to the criticisms in previous posts -- It's easy for me to love Dads for a few reasons. I never had any musical ability, so I don't get distracted by stuff like the time signatures or accuracy of the drumming. I just pay attention to how it makes me feel overall, just emotional response I guess. Having loved bands like Cap'n Jazz, I always thought some level of sloppiness can be charming. Another benefit of being an old person is that I don't really do social media. I have no idea what these guys are like on Twitter or Facebook or anything. I don't really give a shit, I just listen to their music and don't worry about what they are like in real life.

I'm relatively new to Dads (first heard of them when Radass came out), and this whole scene in general. I've discovered a bunch of bands that I'm really excited about (Dads, TWIABP, Hotelier, You Blew It!, etc). I'm old enough that I was in college when Mineral, Promise Ring, and that crowd was at their peak in 1995-96. It's exciting to see so many people making great music that keeps that sound alive.

Referring to the criticisms in previous posts -- It's easy for me to love Dads for a few reasons. I never had any musical ability, so I don't get distracted by stuff like the time signatures or accuracy of the drumming. I just pay attention to how it makes me feel overall, just emotional response I guess. Having loved bands like Cap'n Jazz, I always thought some level of sloppiness can be charming. Another benefit of being an old person is that I don't really do social media. I have no idea what these guys are like on Twitter or Facebook or anything. I don't really give a shit, I just listen to their music and don't worry about what they are like in real life.

You don't need to be an "old man" to have this mentality. I feel the same and I'm 26

Really glad to know I'm not alone in being close to 30 but still loving the recent wave of emo in the last 5-6 years. American Radass is still one of my favorite records from the past couple years. I honestly haven't listened to BYTA in awhile so I'm excited to listen to it on vinyl with fresh ears when I eventually get it. Feel kinda dumb for not picking up the cassette when I saw them a few years ago. Wasn't a fan of PRetty Good but My Crass Patch is one of their best songs.

Speaking of BWM bands being awesome, they're going to be putting out Patch Kit's debut EP and you should all get stoked. New band from Jessica McDermott (The New and Very Welcome). She's awesome and new band sounds awesome.